Microencapsulation/Powdering Cannabinoids

Hello All,

I’d like to see if anyone has input on the most common and effective methods of microencapsulation of cannabinoid oils for the purposes of both food use powders and for water soluble purposes such as infused drinks. I am interested to see what tech is out there and is being used in the industry today, and what kind of experiences people have had using these different techniques whether good or bad.

Thanks,
-Butane

1 Like

I played around with complexing cannabinoids using cyclodextrins. I had some success with hydroxy propyl beta cyclodextrin, but then another member here informed me that the cyclodextrins aren’t considered food safe at the dose needed to complex 50mg of THC.

Sorry I can’t actually help. I hope you find the information that you need.

2 Likes

Interesting, I wonder what compounds these guys are using to encapsulate:

I spoke with them and they claim it is food safe and also safe to smoke, and I’m not sure how true this is but they said it was something similar to what is used in joint papers (maybe a lead there?). They also said the equipment is under 30k for creating the mood picks products they have on their site which I have tried and I couldn’t really taste anything weird when smoking it inside a joint, but burning it outside the joint it kind of curled up like if you burned a piece of uncooked spaghetti (didn’t seem the safest?). It had a slightly bendable consistency but it would snap if you bent it too far (again kind of like uncooked spaghetti consistency).

They also gave me some powders which actually did dissolve quite well even in cold water with little to no stirring. I think its the same tech to make both the powder and the solid mood picks they offer, but I could be wrong.

Those guys are looking for licensing deals in CA right now, I’d rather figure it out myself though lol.

-Butane

I’ve been using it on a personal and DIY level while trying to work out the kinks or help someone else take it to the next step. That’s kind of what I do and I’m not a technician of any sort. I’m using tapioca maltodextrin with infused coconut oil and my purpose is to bring easier dosing and faster onset than the usual 2 hours for edibles. I’ve been getting full onset within 20-30 minutes.

It’s an encapsulation method where the sugar, maltodextrin, surrounds the oil and causes it to take on the absorptive properties of the sugar instead of the oil. The maltodextrin dissolves in water and thus, the oil does, too. That’s pretty simple but it works. I was skeptical until I tried it. And I was able to concentrate dosage.

Like I say, I’m an amateur compared to most folks here, maybe even a rube, but I’ve put together a quickie video of what I’ve done basically for documentation. Here it is. Maybe it will give you a basic idea, someplace to start. Maybe not. egyptien2 (2015_10_01 04_32_03 UTC)
Powdered Water Soluble Infused Canna-Oil w/video

7 Likes

Thanks man, I will have to give this a try it looks promising! Does the dissolved oil remain in solution and shelf stable if refrigerated or stored for long periods?

Right now with just the two ingredients, it will dissolve in liquid but the oil will float but seems to retain the quick onset properties. My main goal for it is to use as mix-in’s for other foods instead of the water-based beverages. However, you can add surfactants/emulsifiers to your powder to achieve the results you want. I’ve been looking for those same results with syrups with a lot of frustration so I got sidetracked on this for a while and I’m glad I did. There’s a lot of great applications other than beverages and with the same quick onset.

I can say that it does retain it’s potency in an airtight container. I was concerned that it would oxidize quickly as a fine powder much like infused sugar does if not careful. I had some in my grits for a wake and bake this morning and still about 50% LESS than my normal edible/tincture dosage.

I haven’t gotten very far in my exploration but it does my heart good if I can provide at least a little motivation to get someone else to advance it. I look forward to keeping up with your progress. Just_Cuz_06 (2015_10_01 04_32_03 UTC)

i know a guy who makes great powdered drink mixes- if youd like I can link ya up
R.

2 Likes

Sure that would be great, thanks bro

1 Like

Hi mate, greetings from Australia!

Long time lurker, first time poster. My apolgees for digging up an year old thread but I’ve gone far down the rabbit hole with this aspect of cannabinoids than I ever thought - I’m so thankful I did.

In the year that’s passed, how has your process for powderization gone?

After a second day of trying this method of a maltodextrin, the onset is indeed faster by many factors, which is incredibly exciting for me. As per capsulation with emulsifiers/surfactants and high shearing, I noticed the droplet size seems to make the most difference with bioavailability and solubility.

I noticed that eBay in Aus has 75 - 200 micron stainless sieves for quite cheap. I understand that cheap maltodextrin powder from brewing shops ranges from 35-280 odd microns.

Would continually working the oil-soaked powder through the sieves work by creating smaller and smaller particles increase the bioavailability or small I pursue other methods?

Kind regards,
Mitch.