Hello all, an early thank you to all those who assist me in my future endeavors.
I’ve been extracting for almost 3 years now and everything has been getting better and better for myself. Throughout the 3 years of extracting I have learned to make a variety of BHOs including, but not limited to: shatter, crumble, badder, HTFSE, HCFSE and have had great success with all of the above.
Just a little background here:
I started off with an open system extraction method then moved onto a closed-loop extractor. I’ve owned my closed loop for about a full year now and absolutely love it. It took me about 6 months to feel well-versed with my closed-loop system along with a ton of forum reading. I should also state I took a university level general chemistry course which also helped a lot with understanding terminology and legitimately understanding the science behind extractions. With that being said please do not “dumb down” any terms or processes that might help me in the future.
If needed I can provide more pictures of my product.
The reason why I’m posting here is because I’m really looking to make boulder like crystals. I’ve had great success making crystals, but every time I have an end product of micro/sugar crystals.
These may look like boulders… but really they’re just micro crystals compacted together from being jarred. Once the slightest amount of pressure is applied they break into what I call micro crystals
What I’m looking to get out of this is to achieve boulder like crystals as the ones below
I will upload some pictures of the product I have jarred in my oven soon
I should state again that I use material I believe is worthy enough to make crystals out of. I truly believe if you’re making product that’s high-end it should be made only with top-dollar material from the beginning. My lower quality material I make into slabs.
I ALWAYS DISTILL MY SOLVENT TO ENSURE THERE ARE NO MYSTERY OILS IN MY EXTRACTS
I am currently using n-butane and have a 2lb closed-loop system.
Here is some info in regards to my extraction method:
- Deep freeze material (most of the time I’m using dry-cured instead of fresh-frozen) and chill butane. (Both being chilled with dry ice)
- Assemble collection chamber including ball valve, set collection chamber in dry ice and pull vacuum (the collection chamber is of course sitting in dry ice up to where my insight screen are)
- Fill dewaxxing sleeve on material column with pellets of dry ice.
- Once material column has achieved optimal temperatures I start packing material
- Attached material column onto the system and open ball valve. (I pull a vacuum on the collection chamber prior to filling the material column that way when I’m done filling material column I can attach to my system open the ball valve and instantly have my material column in a vacuum to ensure no moisture is in my system.)
- I let the vacuum pump rub until my system is at approximately -30inHg
- Once my butane is at optimal temperatures I start my extraction. I close my ball valve and run my solvent through for the first wash, then a second wash, then a third wash. (I allow my solvent to saturate the matieral for about 5 minutes until I open the ball valve for each wash) I use about a total of 5lbs of solvent for 2lbs if material… (I know many people use 5lbs of solvent per lb, but with my experimenting, studies, and research it has little to no affect on the yield)
- Once all my solvent it out of the system I close the ball valve, remove my material column and pull the collection chamber out of the dry ice.
- I set my recovery tank in dry ice 15 minutes prior to recovery. I attach the collection chamber to my recovery tank and set the collection chamber in a warm water bath (approximately 85-95F) and start recovering.
- Once there’s is about 1-2lbs of solvent left in my solution I disassemble my system and pour my solution into preheated and precleaned 4oz mason jars
… now onto the actually crystallization
- I fill each jar about 2/3 to 3/4 full of the solution and cap them
- I let them sit for 3-4 days without burping or agitating what so ever. (At this point a small amount of precipitation has occurred)
- Onto the 5th day I burp them once and set them into my vacuum oven at approximately 85-95F (I HAVE NOT PULLED A VACUUM AT THIS POINT) they sit at ATM in the oven for 4-5 days.
- At this point they have been jarred for about 8-9 days and there is a good layer of crystals already formed on the bottom of the jar. I burp them once more and set them back into the oven and pull a vac (WITH THEM CAPPED STILL) and let them sit for another 3-4 days
- After this period I start to burp them once a day
- Once I believe precipitation is no longer occurring (on average after 2.5 to 3 weeks) I uncap them and pull vac to -28inHg. I repeat this 2-3 times per day for 2-3 days.
Now… that is as far as I’ve gotten with my extraction method and have been reading more and more everyday to achieve these boulder like crystals. I’ve come to the conclusion that the extractors behind these boulders are separating the HTFSE from HCFSE then redissolved their HCFSE in hexane or pentane then recrystallizing.
I’m looking for advice as to if here is a process that involves no redissolving to achieve these boulder like crystals. If not, should I use hexane or pentane to redissolve my crystals? After redissolved my crystals do I use my same method of jarring them after redissolving?
Once again, a huge thank you to everybody who educates me more on these boulders!