Metal gummy molds

My company just bought a brand new gummy machine capable of over 100,000 gummies a day. My problem is the machine uses Titanium molds for the gummies and I can’t seem to adjust my recipe to where they pop out on their own which is what the machine is supposed to do. Any suggestions?

2 Likes

Starchless mogul?

Show me pictures of your unit, the molds and underneath in the tunnel where they are supposed to eject onto the belt.

If you have this basic a question you for sure are going to have a bad time with that machine for the foreseeable future.

Edit:

Also curious - what kind of pumps did they include with the system? Gear or rotary lobe?

3 Likes

I have no idea honestly. The machine is still on the way from China, all I was given was a set of the Molds and told to work on recipes.

My understanding is that often times metal based molds are designed for hard candies and you can use air pressure underneath in each cavity to push the candy out of the mold. I’ve never worked with metal molds though and wouldn’t think to use metal as a mold material. Good luck :).

1 Like

:man_facepalming:

You need to figure out what all they are sending you. Even if you make the perfect recipe that works amazing on those molds by hand, it’s a totally different ball game relying on mechanical pins and maintaining the ability to release from molds over the course of the “100,000 unit per day gummy capability”.

2 Likes

That’s aluminum most likely with a “teflon” coating

They will eject like this and you will not have the benefit of your manual dexterity to remove them:

By the way, if they have any other patterns besides the leaves… start with that. The complexity and all the thin points of the leaves make them difficult to eject over the course of a longer run if you don’t have mitigating automation.

5 Likes

Looking at the pictures, and again I have no experience with metal molds…but I have a feeling getting a gelatin or pectin gummy to release from that mold very easily without poking a hole through it or something similar might prove difficult. It really looks like it is designed to be coated in a release agent and then filled with a syrup that will form a hard candy, and then ejected after it has hardened.

Not air pressure, just a mechanical mechanism to lift all the candies from the mold. I do agree though, these are definitely far better designed for hard candies + lollipops.

There is a little dot on the ejection point of the gummies yes but as long as your temps and everything are right they will eject no problem. You can’t do hard candies in this system without the ability to convert to steam jacketing to my knowledge.

2 Likes

I have no idea what system is being used, I’m just merely talking from a mold perspective. With my own experience using silicone molds, I can use the same depositor for hard candies or gummy candies without anything other than changing a few temperatures around and swapping candy syrup recipes.

I was just merely making a few observations to potentially help further the discussion.

2 Likes

It’s getting the syrup to the depositor that is the hard part. To keep hard candy syrup moving you need higher temps. He will not be getting a steam jacket system with this mogul - I can guarantee it. I’d be surprised if he got food grade pumps with it.

1 Like

Absolutely. Need to have a proper candy syrup pump with either steam or oil insulated jacket to keep it hot. I completely agree with you there.

I think I was misunderstanding what you were saying and we’re on the same page now.

1 Like

Hi there, were you ever able to figure this out?

Thanks.

1 Like

Those bottons on buttum push the gummie out
I spray my molds with pam

Pam works well without messing them up?

With silicone molds, in my early days before dialing in recipe, I found that Pam would leave a residue. If you look on the ingredients, you’ll see dimethyl silicone which obviously doesn’t evaporate. If you’re cool with silicone infused gummies. Then by all means!

1 Like

I rinse the pam with hot water from the molds so it id seasoned. ? Is there a better way to lube molds

To be honest, I know nothing about metal molds, so I cannot help there. But for silicone molds, the trick is to not use any spray. It’s all in the recipe and wait time before demolding.

Yes i do a light spray let sit on molds about 20 min to penetrate and rinse with hot water. Not a crazy rinse but removes the heavy oil off. Work 2 to 3 times before you have to respray

Seasoning the mold