Medium+ scale chromatography tips?

Yea exactly

https://aiche.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1002/btpr.2950

1 Like

@PolyC gave me some pointers, definitely helped out.
albeit i’m not sending it w/ a 5 foot column but should be fine!

3 Likes

thanks for the love, holmes

2 Likes

Do you have the budget for a flash system?

What sorta tips?

Put the bottom of the column in the bath, works wonders on smaller columns. Better than your standard vibrator.

Vibrators will work wonders, bag up your “Dilding apparatus” and drop it in your column and move it around the bottom and slowly work it up to the top of the column. Your results will be visible by the amount of packing that settles down to the bottom.

As said above, always star with a smaller sample and dial in your process before attempting a large volume run. Bad results from a small run are easier to trouble shoot than a a run with to large of a sample.

heres another thread with some good insight and my report packing a 100L stainless column with a concrete vibrator.

1 Like

just peep that paper he sent over! it may help, it definitely did for me

1 Like

reach out via dm if you have specific questions! i’m around pretty frequently.

2 Likes

Couple of things. (Hi, btw, I’m new here). I’m assuming you wet packed the column with straight heptane? Then vacuum from the bottom or add pressure to the top to pack. I’ve literally done 10 columns a day for 20 years and have never needed sonication, granted it’s been years since I’ve had to manually pack a column… How did you load your sample? Stay away from alcohols as your loading solvent (unless reverse phase). Or just dry load your sample (mix with a little silica and heptane then strip it down, add the solid to the top of the column and cover with sand. You should have nice clean bands/fractions coming out the bottom if you have a nice tight band at the top.

4 Likes

Edit: I never manually packed a 5ft column, fxck man! I just reread that. Might be a touch overkill. For 300g worth of material, might be worth the better separation to just run smaller columns depending on your material. If it’s just a quick flush under vacuum, by all means, go big or go home. If you really want to isolate something, go smaller, maybe 50g to start. Also, instead of iso, do about 5% ethyl acetate if you’ve got it. That should clean it up right there. Hope that helps.

3 Likes

have you had an progress or sucess?

1 Like

No, the project has been sidelined because I don’t want to pay for a bunch of transducers at this moment in time.

I can share with you how I’d go about it if you want to do it.

1 Like

I bet we’d all like to hear ur ideas @Franklin please share?

1 Like

Essentially a bunch of Stackable sieves with differing size mesh for each component of the stack.

Each stack has 3 20 watt transducers brazed to the outside of the stack and each transducer will be offset by 120°.

All electrical connections will be sufficiently insulated so that they can be submerged in cooling fluid and they will be housed by an insulated outer shell.

Haven’t drawn anything up, but that’s the basic idea.

It’s going going be used for refining massive amounts of dry sift.

1 Like

Not necessarily using ultrasonic energy to decapitate the
captate trichomes… but an ultrasonic dry sifter…?
What is the bit about cooling?
sound interesting. Have you studied the Syrian harvest methods?

1 Like

I mean you could take the design and just make a much taller stack for the very top where you just just stick a couple freshly harvestly branches and set them into the top stack since the inner walls of the sieve will be in contact will cooling fluid from the other side of the wall, you will basically have a small refrigerator.

You don’t think the ultrasound will separate the capitate stalks from the trichomes?

No I’ve never read of Syrian harvest methods czn you link something?

Whos that little lad in your profile photo?

the syrians cut the Cannabis and lay it down in field to dry in hot sun.
When dry they bring it to storage rooms where they strip it and sieve it…by hand…
it is essentially a dry-sift.
I have placed Hemp in ultrasonic cleaners (aqueous)…and have not found any great level
of decapitation. Examining flowers before and after with a microscope. I was just wonering if you had found an effective proceedure.

thank you.

Someone else asked me about this concept and i shot it down, just due to the shear forces youre subjecting the material to

Youre essentially building a big flowcell reactor and its not going to be very ahem selective

We use ultrasound for cell cracking and cell disruption, so all those contaminants youre seeking to keep out of the extract via shaking those i tact trichome heads off the plant material in cold water

Its gonna make poop soup my good boy

Poop soup.

Oh this aint for bubble hash

For dry sift-
Hmm maybe

Why not start with a bunch of industrial vibrators?

1 Like