Media ec/moisture sensors

I tried ordering the same gear today and was told I couldn’t do it. Do you have a contact for getting this equipment and service?

1 Like

I’m in canada and I dealt with hoskin scientific, what I understand if your in the US and you mention cannabis they send you to aroya but if you tell them it’s for other agricultural I think they’ll sell you the same setup.

3 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

I am working with our controls company to get wired sensors deployed in the cultivation rooms.
trying for 2 plants per bench to start, 28 sensors in each room. they are all wired connections so the equipment is cheap as long as i run miles of cable!!
we already have datalogging and graphing within our building management system so im hoping to approximate the aroya system without a subscription… and have as many sensors as i want.
i will advise on here once i have finished testing other sensors on the market and have some data. we have 4-5 viable options that range from 5$-100$ per unit, the goal is to find the cheapest and most accurate sensor so i can really deploy them within our facility.

5 Likes

If anybody is interested in trying to use the teros 12 without the zl6 data logger, I’ve found a possible solution using some open source hardware and software.

Ive recently been using Home Assistant to run environmental controls in 2 tents using BT temp/humidity sensors and smart plugs. It is based off ledgardner’s build here

https://ledgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5698&sid=683417f1f835980dca009897c6ef674c

I’m planning on using Home Assistant to integrate the teros 12 sensors and log the data with custom graphs and then possibly use Opensprinkler to control irrigation valves based off the teros data.

Here is how to integrate the teros 12 using a raspberry pi and an sdi board.

5 Likes

hey @Medicine.grower what have you read that makes you think the teros 12 is the better sensor?.
acclima certainly seems to think their tdr sensors are supperior to the capacitance sensors others are using.
i only ask because i am looking to buy a sensor and was just wondering if you knew something i didnt?.

i copied this about tdr vs capacitance from from growlinks website.

These sensors don’t work well in beds and soil. They are really just good for rock wool grows. I had the growlink system

1 Like

anyone with LabView experience? I’m sure someone could easily mock up a virtual instrument for whatever sensors you have and compile it to run on a pc.

I think the teros takes a bigger measurement, as in a measurement from a bigger volume of media.

yer i think i read that with having the probes further apart on the teros 12 you capture the average of a bigger volume of media.
but i wonder if thats worth the trade off against the accuracy of the acclima considering the average size of the media used with crop steering isnt that big?.

i plan on using the sensor in coco, i think both probes can now be calibrated for rockwool/coco/soil ect.

Well they did not work in soil beds they gave ec numbers that should have had my plants dead and they were flourishing.

How did they work for moisture levels in beds

They worked ok but not for the money they cost. I was on the right track without them. Ended up selling the kit to a homie with a rock wool grow

1 Like

yer i hear you, strange though considering they are both marketed primarily as soil moisture sensors?.

My beds are 5x5 I feel to get good readouts you would need 4 or 5 per bed and that’s just too expensive and not worth the trouble in my opinion

Yeah they say that but all I ever see them in is rock wool

i have 2 5x5 areas and only intend to buy one sensor, im just single strain and keep them as even sized as possible so hopefully ill monitor a few just go off the average?, like check the most vigorous and least vigorous in the section and then fall somewhere in the middle?. then rinse and repeat as they grow.

Is it a 5x5 bed?

no single pot/bag coco.