Media ec/moisture sensors

I’m looking to to get setup with some moisture sensors for my grow, right now there’s basically 3 options I see.
Aroya spot check
Aroya full setup, which would be 1500 I think for the subscription then a minimum of 10 sensors so basically 5k.
Or the growlink setup which is cheaper and still data logs but I don’t think the sensors are as good as the teros 12 .

Only new thing I’ve seen is these guys you can see them on ig https://instagram.com/pinnaclesystemsethoscontroller?utm_medium=copy_link , I think they are making an aroya style setup with data logging for the small scale grower.

Aroya would work for me once I get my legal spot going but I want something to work with at my medical grow until then to get it dialed in.

2 Likes

Has anyone ever cracked one of those sensors open? I’m curious if it’s just a repackaged rs485 EC meter

2 Likes

Seems like they are trying to make a monopoly off the teros 12 sensors. There’s going to be a huge market for these I’m thinking.

1 Like

Ubibot

I use Solus by Aroya to spot check with the Teros 12’s. I also spot check with the BlueLab Pulse, and use TrolMasters WC sensors for data logging.

It would be pretty awesome if someone made a data logging app for the home growers that utilizes the Teros 12 sensors.

3 Likes

Just crack one open and we can work on some open source options

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Soil-Electric-Conductivity-Sensor-0-2V-4-20mA-RS485-Soil-Moisture-Soil-Temperatu-/185015530104?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

I would imagine you can come up with a way to derive soil moisture from the tds/EC reading. This one lists soil moisture and EC, most of the other listings I’ve looked at for this sensor are just salt content/ec

The problem is the accuracy, you can get the trolmaster sensors but they are basically worthless. I’ve read reviews that they were compared to the teros 12 and they weren’t even close.

2 Likes

could just be the difference between top bin and factory seconds

there’s quite a few variables that could be played with, just need to see what the guts look like

1 Like

Exactly. The Teros 12’s are the most accurate, and trying to cross reference with the trolmaster data and other sensors is a pain in the ass.

1 Like

1 Like

it’s an sdi-12 connection, should be able to monitor activity from the sensor with the serial port/monitor on any PC. I’d imagine you could set up a program to adapt the data into a different form, just need to figure out what it’s putting out. Knowing the hardware would also be useful

1 Like

Several companies have made data logging platforms with the Teros 12’s, but they’re all subscription based for licensed grows at the moment.

1 Like

@sidco any references for reading serial data for the layperson?

this thing will allow 62 devices to be hooked up to a USB port

this looks pretty familiar

edit: looks like you can just read the data straight off the sensor with an arduino

3 Likes

But I want mine to say Meter Group on it

We can do this with the Solus app and other devices as well, we just want a user friendly platform for data logging and automated readings.

2 Likes

the coding is probably well beyond me, but there’s quite a few public facing services at a quick glance

2 Likes

Acclima makes the sensors for growlink.

They have a cpl different sensors I think they use the 315 for their package. It’s good for Rockwool and soil but not coco so much.

1 Like

Hey @emdub27 have you been at facilities using media ec/moisture sensors?

All aroya and/or grodan. I don’t really use them or their data, just go by eye and leaf angle.

Aroya uses a pretty standard weather data system a PC or PLC could be easily set up to poll the data.

1 Like

I emailed to ask info about wet-2 sensor And gp2 data logger. Might be a cheaper option. What I see there’s no way around paying for the teros 12 data logging.

1 Like

I think I’m ordering the meter group teros 12 and the zl6 data logger, it can connect up to 6 sensors and the data logging subscription is 220$ a year.

2 Likes