MCT Only Capsules Leaking?

Hey Fellow Scientists,

Sorry if this is not in the right category but this seemed like the most relevant.

So what I am trying to do at a clients request is make 10mg CBD capsules using only MCT as the body of the solution to keep them clear. The problem I am having (obviously) is that the solution is not viscous enough to not leak out of the body of the capsule. I tried using the liquid filling accessory kit from Capsule Connection to seal them. It worked ok but I don’t see being able to scale this and also it left a nasty looking film on the capsule itself.

Normally when I make THC or CBD capsules the body of the solution is more or less half MCT and half liquid soy lecithin which works great in two piece capsules filled with an auto repeating pipettor, I would like to use the equipment I have for this all MCT project.

My next try is going to be using clear jojoba oil as it seems like it is thicker. I am not ready to go the banding machine route, or gel gaps due to the large equipment investment, does anyone have any suggestions?

1 Like

We carried a line of CBD & THC in MCT in gelatin capsules for quite some time. We had only minor issues with leakage, but it was a problem we didn’t solve.

We are not currently marketing them, and only produce them on a small scale for patients. I’m reasonably sure we’re waiting to afford a capsule filler & banding machine before spinning them back up.

We switched to MCT because coconut oil “looked weird” to the customers when it solidified.

That’s what has been frustrating. When I put in size 1 capsules (what we normally use with the mct/lechithin mixture) like you’re saying cyclopath, not a huge problem with leaking until they sat for a few weeks. This client wants them in size 004 and thats when we started to see big problems with it.

It would be great if anyone has had any experience with clear jojoba oil, maybe ill have to be the pioneer.

We were using 0’s or 00’s from memory. Curious that leakage seems more prevalent with the smaller capsule. or is the difference just fill dependent??

We did consider opaque caps and coconut oil as a solution.

are the different size caps from the same supplier?

The worst part was I did a run of 1000 and put them in a large bag while we were waiting on the final container so the whole bag was slimy. I had wiped them off and waited a few days and they still leaked.

The capsules are from two different manufactures and I also just noticed the #1 I normally use is vegan and the small #004 are bovine, I don’t see how that could make a huge difference but possibly?

1 Like

that would be the first place I’d start. given your other constraints.

telling the customer no is pretty much your only other option atm right?

it’s probably not vegan vs bovine. If you’re lucky its manufacturing tolerances.

I agree that it’s probably not bovine vs vegan because we had problems with both. Also I had to use a different manufacture than normal (capsule connection) for the 004 because they do not carry that size, the 004 are from capsuline though.

Appreciate the help @cyclopath

1 Like

For small scale production I would consider converting the oil to a powder using matlodextrin then filling the capsules. It may not be the pure MCT you’re hoping for but it will solve the leaking issue while still delivering the desired active ingredient.

3 Likes

I like the sound of that. I was searching for something to make the mct more viscous and came up short. Do you think its possible that with a certain ratio of maltodextrin to mct I could achieve this?

I agree that Maltodextrin is a reasonable thing to suggest to the customer. it’s inexpensive and easy to use. However, loading powder into caps might be more fun than you’re looking to have.

you’ll also need to up the potency or use bigger caps to achieve the same dosing.

To convert a fat to powder you generally need 40% Maltodextrin by weight. Not sure if maltodextrin is the best option for thickening. I would try Arabic gum or xanthan gum for thickening. Here’s a good article for reference https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3551143/

3 Likes

Thank you very much, I’ll let you guys know my findings.

2 Likes

Did you come up with a solution for this issue? I am running into the same situation myself with the leaking.

I am considering trying thickening the MCT with honey since the coloring will match and natural honey has additional health benefits

edit: another possibility would be agave nectar

1 Like

We know a few processors who use Gelatin emulsified with MCT oil to stop capsules from leaking. Be sure to use a homogenizer to ensure uniform cannabinoid potency for each batch processed.

3 Likes

awesome thank you I just bought the x1000 from you guys a couple weeks back. Been loving it

1 Like

Just chiming in here…keep in mind that pure MCT oil is slightly hygroscopic, so it will draw in moisture from the environment over time, which leads to leakage (breaks down the gelatin capsule). Virgin coconut oil ameliorates this issue, or mixing with other oil-based vehicles.

3 Likes

https://youtu.be/VSklbnn2nus

Fish oil never leaks im thinking it has to do with their post production tumbling and drying tek

2 Likes

I think it has more to do with them not being two part capsules. They didn’t show that part, but the only reason I can see for making their own gelatin is that they are encapsulating directly.

Yea totally maybe someone can make a gelatin solution to dip their two part capsules in then proceed with a drying process. Edit or just do what cat said above and emulsify it in

I have been experiencing more leakage since changing suppliers and note in an article by AGT Pharma that the quality of capsules is the first consideration for avoiding leakage. Does anyone know a high quality supplier in Canada?