Math for diamond miners

To calculate the boiling point elevation of a pure substance, the ebullioscopic constant (Kb) can be used to used.

ΔT = i * Kb * m

To determine the ebullioscopic constant for butane, we can use

K b = R · T(b)^2 / L(v)
where
|Kb| Ebullioscopic constant (K*kg/mol)|
|R| molar gas constant|
|Tb| Boiling point of liquid (K)|
|Lv| Latent heat of vaporisation per gram (enthalpy of vaporization) (J/kg)|

Kb (butane) =1.6

THCA is 314.45 g/mol

for every 314.45g of THCA dissolved in a kilogram of butane we have boiling point elevation of 1.6 Celsius.

lets say you wanted a to boil off butane till you reached 75% THCA 25% butane

(Mols of THCA * 314.45)/(mols of THCA * 314.45 + 1000g(butane))

Its around 9.55 mols of THCA/Kg butane. This concentration elevates the boiling point of butane by 15.28 degrees celsius.

so how do you know you got to 9.55mol/kg with out being at -0.4 celsius?

Antoine equation

log 10 p = (A - B )/ (C + T)

where

p vapor pressure (dimensionless)
A component-specific constant
B component-specific constant
C component-specific constant)
T temperature(K)

lets rearrange this with butane’s physical properties so we can look at a standard graph in x=celsius and y=psi
f(x) = 10^(4.355-(1175.6/(-2.071+(x+273))))*14.7)-14.7

Lets take a second version of this to account for the horizontal (x axis) transformation created by our boiling point elevation

f(x) = 10^(4.355-(1175.6/(-2.071+(x+273-15.28))))*14.7)-14.7

now lets assume you have a standard temperature you like to keep your miner. for instance 45 celsius. in order to find out what the pressure is for 9.55mol/kg butane solution at 45 celsius we can solve for f(x) at x=45 we get 26.6 psi

Therefore, a solution with a concentration by weight of 3:1 THCA to butane will sit at about {edit} 26.2 PSI at 45 celsius. This relationship can be used to estimate the temperature and pressure you need to achieve the level of saturation you require.

Im leaving out the specifics for setting this up practically. nerds only post

{edit} i removed the difference between functions for pure and solution cause that was actually just for verifying accuracy across a large span due to exponential nature of functions.

74 Likes

:exploding_head:

Thank you!!

15 Likes

This is some solid chemical engineering right here.

Thanks for this awesome post.

20 Likes

how would you know how much thca is in it to start the calculations? I think experienced people observe viscosity.

1 Like

Test your stuff, that or just enough experience to know your general parameters between your starting biomass and your likely output.

1 Like

I fucking love science

3 Likes

Oooo useful for making a calculator

3 Likes

i dnt know if theres such a thing as reliable testing? does this create big clear diamonds and prevent the fast crash? Ill just shut up and leave this large scale mining to the pros. My ball jars dont even have a prv

1 Like

Shit, some of the best info I’ve seen in a bit here. Thank you for your time.

4 Likes

I didn’t expect actual math… I just smoked and died laughing after opening the thread.

2 Likes

Learn something new every day…

Going off of that wouldn’t it be a cool idea to make a stainless jacketed seperatory funnel for liquid Butane usage during a medusa crash…

Or am I too stoned right now and just too excited.

This example is obviously assuming pure THCA but the reality is the equations are molar mass based. There are too many other substances to count that are dissolved along with thc in a typical extraction. THCA being a large portion it seemed useful to preset my calculations using ideal circumstances.

6 Likes

the van hoff factor should be less than 1

2 Likes

Thanks I appreciate it i spent 3 hours today doing this. it was really annoying me trying to find the right information through the massive amount of posts, so I decided that a model had to be created that suited everyones different saturation points they prefer, and how to arrive at that point consistently.

16 Likes

Hash: have you left out the secondary dimerization reaction which is concentration dependent and is known to affect vapor pressure and BP?
K 1,2
Especially characteristic of carboxylic acids…???

Curious…do you have a model for the molecular structure of biomass extracted-
THCA solvated in Butane?

2 Likes

Multiply the dissociation energy of the dimer by the mole fraction of THCA/Butane. Add the resulting value to the enthalpy of vaporization of pure butane, then take this heat of vaporization and adjust your Kb .

You could make the horizontal translation (from boiling point elevation) a function of the change in Kb per concentration to create a more precise model.

6 Likes

Please keep sharing your knowledge!

Do you know any other cool tricks?

3 Likes

Yeah, say more stuff :flushed:

3 Likes