Mason Jars - How Often Do You Burp?

Pretty much as the topic asks…How often or many times do you burp after your get it to the viscosity you like?

I’ve seen a lot of variations. Curious if anyone has like a personal schedule they use for burping. like when curing weed.

I’m pretty confident I"m over burping but I fear the jars breaking.

Appreciate any advice.

1 Like

Burp?

1 Like

Assuming he means burping the mason jar while growing diamonds.

It’s depending on your growth. You jars will only break if you increase the temperature or seal the jar while cold.

You shouldn’t be capping if you’re gonna blow the jar up.

In fact, try switching to a Pyrex dish covered with a ptfe sheet and add more butane as needed

2 Likes

Once you evap enough butane off and you jar it how often you do release pressure by popping the lid aka burping?

no pressure?

So if I jar at room temp and just let time be my tool I don’t have to worry about popping the top to release pressure?

It’s better than blowing your load

I blew up a jar of isobutane that was super saturated when it hit 85 f.

Keep it n butane and you should be fine. Don’t cap until it’s a honey viscosity to be safe. If you want to cap earlier you totally can but you should work in a room that is 55 deg f or colder. Your goal is to find supersaturation at whatever temp you’re working at and start from there. If you’ve got enough butane to blow the jar then I doubt it’s super saturated at that temperature

1 Like

So pour into pyrex cover with ptfe (so contaminents don’t land in it?) and then just wait? what type of temps are you holding at? Room temp?

Keep adding butane as it thickens? how often are you adding typically?

You should always worry about popping your top. Be aware of the surroundings and potential ignition sources.

Also a good idea to have the jar in a larger containment tray or pan so you can recover the solution.

3 Likes

Good idea about the container.

Do you have a prefered method of when you pop the tops? Like once a week? Every day? Every other day? Or is it more based on thickness?

I’ve taken 2 stabs at this so far and as mention. pretty sure I’ve over burped because it gets to thick but I never though about pour more tane in the jar to get things moving again.

Is anybody using flow regulators to put this variable to rest?

You would burp the jar if there is still to much solvent and nothing is happening in the jar after a day or two. Or if you have nucleation but growth has stopped.

what do you do? JB weld it to the lid? I’ve seen a few of these? Have you had any luck?

If it gets too thick u can raise the temp until it goes crystal clear. Usually I can melt a solution at 80-90 f with trace amounts of butane

After it goes clear drop the temp 1 degree f per hour

3 Likes

So even if most of the tane is gone. keep it at a liquid state will cause it to crash?

No, but it makes sense conceptually. I wouldn’t stick one on a jar lid personally I’d just thread it into a triclamp lid if I was gonna do it.

So I would pour it in the jar at just above a maple syrup state. Then the next day Id see the lid buldge so Id release the pressure and re tighten it. and basically ever other day at id un bulge the jar.

So you saying next time. Keep it tight and not exactly ignore the bulge but trust and let it go for at least 2-3 days until I see some sort of reaction?

Can I jar it at syrup state and not burp?

Here’s a melt and cool down jar.

I scraped the oil into the jar with a stainless steel spatula and melted it down. There was residual tane in the oil but not much. Just enough to melt to crystal clear. Back off from the melting point slowly and hold it there as long as possible

I believe the melt point with this solution was 95 f and cooled to 88. Every jar is different

1 Like

So take the super thick oil and jar it. Put it on heat. Slowly ramp up until it turns clear and then drop the temp and hold?

How many degrees you dropping? How long you normaly getting a reaction so you know your doing it right?