MAOI effect on psilocybin

Its called ayahuasca if the maoi is a vine…

Smoked harmala alkaloids- co-ingested with freebase DMT-extends the experience threefold-

The general rule of thumb when it comes to routes of administration is that smoking/snorting a drug will increase its potency threefold and cut its duration to 1/3rd of its orally administered counterpart

Along with potency if effects being increased, the “negative” side effects are increased- this is mostly a conversation in relation to stimulant drugs as they have a clear positive and negative effect profile/ the psychedelics muddy the water a bit- imo my most profound and useful experiences with psychedelics have been also incredibly difficult and violent experiences- this is not the case with stimulants- bad is bad and good is good over there

Injecting a drug (not my jive, ever)
Increases the extremes in all directions

1 Like

This is slightly incorrect. Ayahuasca is a mixture of plants to form a hallucinogenic brew. The Caapi vine, included in the brew, is what contains the maoi in this example but has zero dmt content. Without the dmt containing plants, the caapi vine does nothing to get you high and is not an ayahuasca brew on its own.

Without the caapi vine or other maoi, the brew will not work as the monoamine-oxidase in your stomach breaks down the chemical ingested. It is an enzyme which is responsible for deactivating the dmt. To make an edible you need to ingest with a maoi to deactivate the monoamine-oxidase so the dmt can then be up-taken instead of destroyed.

If you do not salt it first, that is fine, except the potency will be lower because the same process takes place in your stomach before the drug becomes active. Pre-salting takes the workload out and can go directly to getting you high. The internal process is not perfect and you will not convert 100% of your dose which will cause dosing issues down the road.

As for maoi’s with smokable product… Monoamine-oxidase exists in both your gut and liver so it may have an effect with smokable products as well as edibles. Definitely interesting.

I have done some research into the cytochrome p450 enzyme in the liver for similar reasons. It is apparently responsible for metabolizing the drug out of your system. Deactivation of it would ideally just loop the drug back around your system until it can metabolize; thereby keeping you high longer. Just a theory.

Erowid has a great historical reference of data on dmt, start there.
https://www.erowid.org/chemicals/dmt/dmt.shtml

2 Likes

Combusted DMT bypasses peripheral oxidative deamination of monoamines, so any effects enhanced by the coadministration of an MAOI would be the result of the inhibition of the preferential deamination catalyzed by central MAO.

2 Likes

Have you ever drank a large volume of ayahuasca vine tes or syrian rue without any admixture substances?

Or used another maoi source?

The source of the maoi absolutely does have a role in the content of the experience, just as much as low purity “full spec” dmt is much different than highly refined isolated dmt.

1 Like

Yes, both. Not something I would call a “high” or would I seek it for any kind of enjoyment.

Have you ever tried edible dmt as a salt? Might change your mind about the maoi dilemma.

1 Like

What is the delimma?

If you did anything other than lay perfectly still in an isolation chamber you’ll have a bad time.

I found the experience of high dose harmalas ti be incredibly healing and left me feeling incredible… its the dominatrix of psychedelics tho you feel it if you even think about going back to your body- which is absolutely possible, the lucidity and awareness of reality is really interesting and is not present with other psychedelic drugs that i have used.

You never break contact with the body, unless you are able to sit with and bear the incredibly unpleasant nausea that associates with any part of the body below, but going inside and accessing the inner space is worthwhile.

I thought of it like accessing the DMT space from the other side of the room, i could coax out all sorts of interesting conversations and art from the muddy brown eyelid walls

4 Likes

I came across this thread/forum while searching about Psilocybin and MAOI. I wanted to warn people of the possible deadly effects of combining these. I take 70 mg of Parnate and have twice tried a small dose of 1g powdered Golden teacher and then Purple magic. Both times it sent me to the hospital because of extreme blood pressure. 270/200! I had cardiac arrest and severe global brain ischemia both times. Be careful!!!

3 Likes

This sounds like something to do with your harmacuticals. I love a little bit of Syrian rue with my mushrooms.

6 Likes

Preach.

5 Likes

I can’t take you serious w that new profile picture I laugh every time I see it

2 Likes

Do you have any problems with other hallucinogens raising your blood pressure / heart rate?

4 Likes

Whoever said dmt is the most potent hallucinogen has completely forgotten that LSD is given in micrograms not milligrams doses.

It might be more immersive and visual, but not potent.

5 Likes

MAOIs without DMT is like listening to radio stories instead of going to the movies.

1 Like

When I was younger we would go to the beach and eat 3 grams of harmala seeds and an hour later we would eat the psilocybin mushrooms. We always had a great time. There is a huge difference between natural reversible maoi’s and unreversible pharmacuetical maoi’s. But I also think it highly irresponsible to put a product out to the public like this because everyone should know what they are taking.

1 Like

I just like I can get so far out there and it not last 18hrs bc thatll wear on the brain

I can only imagine comparing the visuals of DMT to puddling a handful of LSD

I’ve probably never had good LSD

1 Like

lsa?! cool if you wanna vomit!!!

1 Like

I believe most psilocybe mushrooms contain a bunch of harmala alkoloids right ?

Yeah , or so says this

1 Like

Puddling :-D. I haven’t heard that term in probably a decade but reading it here brings back some hilarious memories

1 Like