MAOI effect on psilocybin

I’ve been researching and had read that you shouldn’t use MAO inhibitors in combination with psilocybin. Is that to say, not at all? Or could you in a miniscule amount?

… Banisteriopsis caapi (Malpighiaceae)

2 Likes

I’d have to do some reading… but MAOIs in general…have a shit ton of restrictions and warnings…

13 Likes

Physcdelics are all fun and games until someone takes an MAOI

18 Likes

I got a sample from a person out there making psilo gummies with harmala.

allowed them to half the dosage per but still retain the full punch

they were *chefs kiss*

5 Likes

I sense sarcasm as to who this chef actually is :laughing:

Psilocybin usually occurs in mushrooms along with beta carbolines which are MAOI’s.

3 Likes

Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) block monoamine oxidase, which is an enzyme that breaks down excess tyramine in the body. Excess tyramine can cause a serious spike in blood pressure and require emergency treatment. It is found in higher amounts aged and fermented foods that contain protein. This includes processed meats and cheeses, sauces like soy sauce and beverages like beer. This can be largely avoided by eating fresh food.

10 Likes

Firstly, psilocin is primarily dephosphorylated by stomach acids, alkaline phosphatase and intestinal/renal esterases. It is further demethylated/deaminated peripherally via liver MAO and aldehyde dehydrogenase. It’s not like it’s heavily deaminated by MAO to the degree that DMT is, so it doesn’t seem worth the risk of coadministering an MAOI. Personally, I would rather just increase the dose.

5 Likes

Like the question but MAOIs will depending on the person, change the way that the psilocybin is meant to behave chemically in the body. Definitely do some reading on the MAOIs you are going to take before adding anything into the mix. They have warnings on MAOIs for good reasons, they can dull the human experience… in moderation they may help but so will microdosing on any good fingusamoungus. Are you wanting to enhance the visuals because I know that I read it can mess with the mental aspects of psilocybin hallucinations. This is not medical advice… Plz do your hw though!

2 Likes

Does taking MAOI effect vaping freebase DMT in any way

Also what if u added a freebase harmala to a freebase DMT then vaped it would it effect the trip…I heard it makes for blast off for the ppl stuck in the waiting room

Between complications from foods, meds, and a host of other problems. Adding MAOIs to cut costs/lower dosages is honestly just a recipe for disaster.

If you’re making it for yourself, cool.

But if it’s going into a consumer end product… I would highly recommend against it.

You need to make things idiot proof, or idiots will prove themselves.

16 Likes

Irrespective of the mode of DMT administration, inhibiting the MAO-mediated deamination and enzymatic demethylation/N-oxidation of DMT results in increased half-life/clearance and resultant blood concentrations.

In terms of harmaline/harmine, aside from the MAO-inhibiting properties, harmala is dose-dependently hallucinogenic on it’s own via beta-carboline induced antagonism of 5-HT2A and 5-HT2C receptors.

Quite frankly, adding anything to DMT is foolish in my opinion, as it’s the most potent hallucinogenic compound on earth, when properly synthesized and dosed. Anyone wanting to add to it’s effects, hasn’t experienced it’s full potential.

4 Likes

@Etohthekid

1 Like

Yeah anyone taking antidepressants taking an maoi can be really dangerous taking an SSRI while taking a maoi not good thing. I was just wondering for myself though but thats one reason I’d never send out something w an maoi bc u never know what kinda meds they are on everyday

3 Likes

I don’t see how an MAOI could negatively interact with psilocybin, given that the molecule is so similar to DMT and ayahuasca is DMT + MAOI. I also don’t see why it would be necessary or desirable, echoing what was said earlier, you could just take a stronger dose of psilocybin if that’s what you are looking for.

3 Likes
7 Likes

I think some of you are confusing the risks of, irreversible MAOIs (some pharmaceuticals) with the risks of reversible MAOIs (Harmalas). Reversible MAOIs are relatively safe. They can get you a lot higher than you want to be. But they aren’t going to kill you like irreversible MAOIs can.

This mix is often called psilohuasca.

This is not a way to create more potent gummies with less mushrooms. Ok, it kinda is, but harmalas change the character of the experience. I think they would be a nice product for a super heady clientele but its not what people looking for mushroom gummies are looking for.

Hop over to the nexus to read more about harmalas, different ratios of harmine, harmaline, and THH. And how these tools can be used on their own and combined with various other compounds.

13 Likes

^^^lmfao

Welcome to the future @FLAVECobain!

1 Like

Technically speaking, I believe psilocybin mushrooms already contain some harmala / harmaline MAOI’s.

I also believe this to be the reason that extracts don’t work as well as the raw mushroom. If you extract and purify the psilo, what happens to the maoi? If it is not extracted, it makes all the reason why the isolate is not as potent as the original fruit body as it is mostly destroyed before uptake can commence.

5 Likes