Manual Light-Dep

Giving outdoor light dep a go (carrying them outside.) Green Crack and Cherry Pie under MI sun. Any pointers or things to watch for?

5 Likes

Yeah, get some wheels under them before they get too big to carry…

:wink:

12 Likes

Keep a schedule

3 Likes

Best bet is move in/out that shed. As long as dar is indeed dark.

Screw moving big flowering plants.

I’m tossing one (3g fabric pot with xx strain) out in beginning of aug to flower and see what happens.

3 Likes

Seems like “almost dark” could be supplemented with far-red LEDs if what I was taught 30 years ago about phytochrome still holds true.

Edit: yep, looks like folks are probably using far red LEDs with cannabis to send a crisper “I said FLOWER!” signal. :shushing_face:

6 Likes

I thought far red was used 30 mins after lights out for trich improvements. And only for 30 mins due to the extreme nature of that led.

2 Likes

Setup some kind of support for them. In 6 weeks, you won’t be able to move them around without risking damage. It would probably be less stressful to build a small structure and pull a tarp manually every day.

7 Likes

They’re starting week 5 so hopefully they’ll be done sooner. Hoping for 8 wks on CP and 9 on GC, but ill take em as far as i have to.

Ur thinking about uvb (or is it UVc?) and uvb should be on for 30 minutes in the “peak” of the light schedule. That mimics the light intensity of being ontop of a mountain.

Far red can be used the whole time. It makes 16 week flowering hazes finish in 10-12 weeks. Will probably take 5 days off a commercial 8 weeker

4 Likes

Do far reds not cause stretch?

Uvc = sterilization

Uva/Uvb are produced by the sun. Some Bulbs have uva/b for added trich production. And reason why high elevation has better trich coverage…its closer to the sun.
.far red is what led growers use for 30 mins a day to get that certain light.

Not all led panels have far red. That’s an option.

https://www.google.com/search?ei=PU7mXrL2DqThxgHP36SwBA&q=far+red+light+schedule&oq=far+red+light+&gs_lcp=ChNtb2JpbGUtZ3dzLXdpei1zZXJwEAEYAzIECAAQQzICCAAyAggAMgIIADICCAAyAggAMgIIADICCAA6AggpOgQIABBHUMocWNIrYM80aABwAXgAgAFaiAGNBJIBATeYAQCgAQE&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-serp

yep.

if you leave them on all the time, you will convince the plant someone is throwing shade.

it will stretch to solve that.

if you haven’t read it already: Far-Red Lighting and the Phytochromes

4 Likes

Yeah that was my understanding. I haven’t read that but I’ll give it a read for sure :slight_smile:

I can confirm that elevation has a big factor in quality and trichome production but is strain dependent as well . For example strains bred in Humboldt that are acclimated to a coastal environment and low elevation will not preform as well because the environment can be too intense . If you have a hearty genetic it should thrive regardless. I have done light dep of the same clones at 1500 elevation versus 5000 elevation you would think that they were different strains . Elevation will even change how your indoor gardens grow because the air content is different with varying levels of oxygen , co2 and other gasses . The trichome will grow and even look totally different . I am really curious what this high elevation will do to this GMO cookies that allready tests 33% + . My profile pic is of our light dep wedding cake live on the plant the day we harvested at 5000 elevation

1 Like

Ask the Nepal terpenes girl about higher elevation and terpenes. I forgot her sn on here.

That’s why cmh vs hps in terpene comparison only, cmh wins every time.

2 Likes

I didn’t want to buy new bulbs so i flowered 2 lights of biscotti under 1000 watt full spec hortilux metal halide its basically identical to the red hps except the terpenes are different slightly

1 Like

Anyone know what are the effects of partial shade? The most secure spot in my yard doesn’t see direct sunlight till 11am.

Depending on the genetics, it could reveg and or hermie later on in flower

2 Likes

I’ve heard talk about partial shade making plants flower/finish earlier. Don’t remember if morning or evening shade made much of a difference. Most difference I’ve noticed was a lower yield and looser bud structure, ie more larf n smalls.

1 Like

This.

1 Like