Maltodextrin based dissolvable THC powder, any tips/help/SOPs?

i guess i dont know what a sonicator is lol we use one at work but its like a vat of ethanol that you put disty-covered dishes in. it shakes for awhile and the dishes come clean. im guessing thats not the sonicator you’re talking about

interesting. man i wish there was more information regarding all this stuff out there somewhere :smile: :laughing: dont get me wrong i absolutley love it here, but im just suprised there isnt more info and forums and subreddits and stuff regarding the more granular stuff/science behind edibles and edible production

yeah all good lol

thank you so much you have been such a great help!!

So the research is out there in the form of white papers, just gotta dig. Being that the process of making water soluble is fairly easy, but the process of making it palatable is the hard part, that is where the consultants make their money.

Water soluble:
-Identify emulsifier
-Homogenize with disty
-Add a determined amount of water
-Ultrasonically Homogenize
-Sterile filter heavy metals from mixture deposited by ultrasonic horn
-optionally spray dry to powder
-enjoy shitty tasting “nano…bro”??

I can do it, but I’m not good at making a non-“turnyourmouthinsideout” bitter product. Further study (time+money) is needed!

2 Likes

Would ethanol akin to THIS THREAD be feasible to assist homogenization?

Is this similar to powdered peanut butter or THIS VIDEO?

1 Like

Call summit, back in the day when we used to visit summit they used to have powderized d9 that dissolved into water, he would pass out spiked coffees to people all the time. That guy literally was making d9 powders before anyone else was and would explain it to anyone who asked at no charge. Check the ig to see if they posted any notes on it.

1 Like

How long you Wana keep this act going

2 Likes

not sure what you’re getting at, except the obvious “wana”. maybe i havent had enough coffee yet today lol

summit? is this a cannabis company? only summit i know around here is Summit Racing lol

1 Like

Like @MedicineManHempCo says earlier, there is definitely a lot of information out there if you know what you are looking for, know how to dig, and are able to apply similar principles/experiments to your current application. Often times you’ll have to piece information together from several sources and apply it to your current problem. For example, maybe you read a paper that discusses the set time of a pectin solution given different pH values or similar pH values with different concentrations of different strength acids, how can you take this information from a stand-alone study and apply it and incorporate it into your own work?

At the same time you have to realize a lot of people and companies put a lot of time and money into solving these problems, and while freedom of information is great, and I’m a big fan of supporting the demonetization of published scientific papers, I also support profiting from the work/time you put in. So those of us who do have a lot of intricate or in-depth knowledge will be a little less incentivized to share it at no cost or if it was funded by a company, often times that information is owned by the company and you probably won’t find people sharing it outside the company.

Even in this thread, my responses included, you’ll notice a lot of advice is a bit broad and really doesn’t get into any granular detail outside of trying to just keep you on the path.

Knowledge is free these days if you know where to look and want to put in some time to study, but answers and solutions? Those often come with a price tag.

6 Likes

@pdxcanna’s comment was not aimed at you.

1 Like

this is a very apt and well thought out response. I appreciate it tremendously! As someone newish to the space (at least the legal side of things) it seems I need to take some time to educate and learn, and not just turned directly to asking for someone to solve a problem for me. this is a much needed “wake up call” so to speak. very good points about peoples time and experience being deserving of profits. thanks for always being real, giving good advice and knowledge, all while not being a dick! so thank you thank you!!!

3 Likes

You found the data dump yet?

i think it’s right here on this page/post lol. but seriously, so much good info here in these replies and other threads linked above!

That’s a no.

Go looking…

1 Like

Reach out, we might be able to help. :slight_smile:

While blending with Maltodextrin and Lecithin will net you a dissolvable THC powder it will not be flavorless. It might also still cloud up the drink mix when added. Nanoemulsions do offer a more flavorless solution that doesn’t cloud up the drink, but the start up costs for that can be prohibitive. Keep us in mind for your bitter blocker needs - free samples on our contact page.

I’ve had luck reducing bitterness by adding sweeteners and also reducing the amount of water in the base nano-emulsion to only the amount necessary. I actually had a liquid nano formula that would pass water activity testing (< 0.85aw), but maintained a particle size that would keep the fast acting benefits, and it also would not separate when mixed into other beverages or mixed into water. I dabbled with a few “bitter blockers” but nothing that seemed to work until I redesigned the product.

Granted it wasn’t translucent, it maintained the cloudy/milk-like aesthetics, it met all other criteria I needed, especially the fact I could consume it straight and found it enjoyable. Granted, I never made it above a 10mg/mL concentration in the base formula, as it wasn’t necessary for me. What kind of concentration are you looking for?

2 Likes

Why reinvent the wheel? Bitter blockers are established in pharma/food science. Easy to incorporate.

If you’re not formulating your gummies with masking/blocking flavors too you’re behind the game.

3 Likes