Magic Mushrooms: how will the market play out? The ‘hemp’ / CBD / Delta-8?

Maybe if your trappin, but realistically this is going to play out just like cannabis did where you will need to apply for a license (admin fees) and then youll need too acquire a legal facility that meets certain code to grow and another one with different codes to distribute and employees to run everything insurance for those employees then depending on how hard the states go with analytics you’ll need a almost sterile environment to ensure safty since they intended to be consumed which also means you and your employees will need to be trained in a food safe class all this combined with the fact most people might only purchase an 8th every couple month will definitely drive the price up

2 Likes

Containers and spray on latex

Fungi is far less labor intensive. The prep work for sterile bags can be handled by a service. Inoculation is simple, and could be handled by one person with a line fed syringe. It’s literally cut and dry after that

The employee food safety class is literally a 30 min class with a 5 min test. The management food safety class is cheap enough that thousands of restaurants in every state can afford it

Thats the big limiter, but shops near festival/concert grounds will have constant mini seasons.

4 Likes

Lol how much do you think the rent in a state approved facility is going to be?

Mushrooms don’t take a ton of space and can be stacked vertically easily. They don’t have delicate terpenes to protect, so you can freeze dry them. Rent will be a much cheaper expense when compared to cannabis, which requires space and light. Mushrooms will grow in darkness, so the only worry is their environment.

3 Likes

@qma you really think fungi is a lot less labor intensive…LOL that’s funny man talking funny shit… and 100% wrong… it’s a lot more labor involved lol

Most of the labor is definitely wook work.

6 Likes

Not when you are using presterilized bags and bottles of spore serum. A real business wont be using jars and pressure cookers. The non regulated support businesses can handle all the heavy lifting without heavy regulation.

1 Like

That’s only a small portion of the labor needed. The reall time consuming part is the daily work.

And the sterilizer would be the easiest piece to that puzzle. I would never source that task to anyone else. It’s the second most important step of the process.

The biggest cost in a commercial grow would be the sterilizer equipment.
I dont know the exact amt, but it be in the 100s of 1000s of $

3 Likes

Which can be 100% automated. It falls under maintaining a proper enviroment, and 2021 has many effective tools for monitoring humidity.

That is a steam generator and dedicating resources to sterilize ones own bags doesn’t make sense when there already substrate services that already serve the edible fungus industry.

2 Likes

You cant automate harvesting, and daily chores. That’s wook work.

1 Like

When you get yours going. Hit me up I’ll sterilize you bags. Lol
The easiest task, you want to outsource.

2 Likes

I still don’t see how this is any different than Portobello mushrooms other than added compliance costs for “drug” cultivation. I guess it will depend on the regs. I think some harder to grow varieties for the niche market might be a good idea. Obviously someone will make money but I think it’s way more limited than the cannabis market. Also quality is nowhere near as obvious with fungi to make your product stand out

1 Like

You can if you switch to troughs

This is a major facility providing many times what any shroom market could sell. This process can be scalled down to a smaller footprint.

If you are cheaper than other substate suppliers, why not?

10 Likes

Damn, i never seen anything like that before. One could rull the market with that process.

5 Likes

I want to remind everyone that while automation works for some edible fungi, only psychedilics destined to be extracted will likely be harvested using a machine.

You have to hand pick or cut mushrooms for curb appeal. It also helps to continuously harvest as not everything matures at the same rate.

Edit: i guess you don’t have to, I’ve only seen mushrooms properly done and packaged very few times. Some people don’t dry properly or clip off the mycellial at the bottom and it shows.

3 Likes

How does that process not have curb appeal?
Its actually wasting the fruit bases.

I have never seen a pretty shroom lol. People love stemmy strooms dried to a crisp

I don’t think people like eating cakes lol

2 Likes

When they bulk dry it they will become brittle. They get crushed and appear less “appetizing”.

You can dry them in 5 gal buckets proper using time and dririte powder. Helps them not become too brittle or broken. But again, labor.

1 Like

Man, iv dried hundreds and hundreds of pounds in the past. Never used anything other than air movement and time to dry.

The best shrooms iv had were fresh. That’s going to be a thing just like the dried.

6 Likes

I agree on most but what I miss is shroom content of psycho active content
A good grower will have higher content of compounds than a mediocre grower
As wel as strain breeding is a delicate art
No doubt it can be automated but it s not easy at scale and the equipment ain t Cheap

https://www.google.nl/amp/s/www.vice.com/amp/en/article/4wqwgn/shroom-ban-0000035-v18n11

These Guy s are friends that know it ain t easy

5 Likes

I watched a documentary on the two brothers, it was very informative!

Let me see if I can pull it up, its been awhile.

Video gets really good at 12:58, but the full video is the bomb.

5 Likes