Looking For Tried/Tested Pet Treat Recipes

Need a recipe that is dry, and will hold up in a bag with 30 treats. Training treat size is ideal.

There are a TON of recipes out there. Curious if the community can consolidate some insight on this topic. I don’t believe this has been a topic of discussion on the forum yet.

Thanks for any input.

2 Likes

Also interested in this. Food dehydrator treats seem to be pretty easy to make too

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. Dehydrator recipes should keep better!

Reasonable shelf life, while avoiding a long preservative-laced ingredient list, is my biggest obstacle here.

Are you looking for a recipe to take to market? Do you wish there to be cannabinoids in the treats?

Tincture dropped on an existing treat is just too easy. I supply more dogs with cannabis than humans, and i prefer using tincture, as it is much more applicable to have on hand than dog treats. People have used their dogs tincture when needed. I don’t imagine they would have eaten a dehydrated dog treat in that same situation.

5 Likes

I have tried giving my dogs tincture but they don’t like the mct or vg smell or taste so they reject it. I even tried putting half grams of straight distillate inside one of those pill delivery treats, but they smelled it and didn’t trust it.
The best success I’ve had with my dogs is with pumpkin puree and/or peanut butter. You can mix tincture or distillate into peanut butter super easily and just give them that dosed peanut butter directly, they love it!
Or I make treats with pumpkin puree, peanut butter, eggs, whole wheat flour, and a little ginger powder. Stir well and bake. I make a batch while cooking dinner, once a month. It’s very easy.

4 Likes

After a bit of research sparked by your replies…

I’m going go with the most basic pumpkin puree, peanut butter, egg, and flour baked dog treat recipe.

Dosing- Peanut butter will be the carrier

Shelf Life - dehydration, airtight packaging, and a mix of: ascorbic acid, Rosemary Oil extract, dried egg, and vitamin E (mixed tocopherols).

Next recipe hurdle will be finding the least amount of preservative to maintain the balance between flavor and shelf-life.

Thanks for the contributions so far. Comments on my most recent plan of actions greatly appreciated!

2 Likes

Thc is not good for dogs-

3 Likes

True but hes doing cbd according to the tags

2 Likes

True statement. Although, I will only be dosing the peanut butter with industrial hemp extracted FSD. Less than 2.0% THC on the distillate. At 5mg-10mg CBD does, I should be well below an amount of THC that could adversely effect a pup.

1 Like

If using Vitamin E, jiust make sure you don’t heat it up too much. Mix it in while the batch is cooling or already cool. You don’t want to create acetate. I know that temp is around 200 C, but still always good to practice caution.

@Rowan why is THC bad for dogs?? I’ve been giving an elderly dog with cancer a 2:1 CBD:THC ratio for almost 2 months now with no noticeable side effects. What should I know that I don’t??

I also should mention that my 60 lb pitty has been chewing the bottom branches of my ganja plants for 5 years straight now. He LOVES it! Is that unhealthy for him??

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip!

I’ll be homogenizing well below those temps. But, that was some good chem safety info I did not have.

Thc shuts down dogs renal system. Its poison to a dog. Please stop giving thc to your dog. Thc CAN KILL a dog

What if THC is applied topically? What about THCA?
I appreciate the warning, and I always proceed with caution when giving medicine.
But I spoke with the biggest name Veterinarian in my area, we go to the same bar, before deciding to dose the old dog and he specifically told me there is no long term toxicity of dosing pets. The adverse reactions often seen are from overdosing. Because pets weigh the same as a small child, they react the same way as when children accidentally ingest cannabis.
I have a chemistry background and I can’t think of why THC or THCA would be poisonous if dogs have the same CB receptors as humans. If you could point me to a study or elaborate on why it’s going to KILL a dog, I’d love to hear. @Rowan I know you have an extensive background in chemistry and biology if you have any evidence I could look over.

4 Likes

Still curious about THC/THCA impacts on dogs if anyone has an answer. Anyone in this community that may have valuable input.
I have seen only good results, but there is always something happening below the surface. If I could be made aware of what that may be, it would put a lot of people at ease knowing the effects of their medicine.
Please and thank you

1 Like

THC has low toxicity in dogs, the LD50 is >3g/kg for dogs.

Full spectrum CBD is fine. The vet we work with recommends it, and she just attended a continuing education in Denver on CBD in pets where new research was shared. Most of the canine research at CSU uses full spectrum oil too, and they have one of the top vet programs in the country.

Sources:

4 Likes

Idk where your info comes from. But first the ld50 is much lower (around 500mg per kg) And even at 3g per kg that is not low toxicity. My dog weighs 4kg max. All it would take is 2 edibles laying out (its happened thank god he lived) He 1000% needed medical help.

I cited my sources, which you obviously didn’t read. Sources are either peer reviewed or from reputable animal organizations. The two studies I cited both say 3g/kg body weight ld50.

Also, I’m talking about fatality, not negative side effects. @Rowan mentioned renal failure. 3g/kg body weight for ld50 is a huge dose.

A 50lb dog would need to eat 68g of pure THC to die… and that wouldn’t even kill every dog of that weight.

The 0.25-0.5mg of THC a dog would get from a full spectrum CBD treat is fine and nowhere near a dose that would cause toxicity or death.

1 Like

No i brought up renal failure. These are all first hand experiences with my dog. And the study you posted is a .gov so not the most credible lol.

Im telling you i had to take my dog to the hospital. He was near coma. But w.e keep feeding your dog thc i honestly dont care.

And i know what a ld50 is so you dont have to explain. Lol

Pubmed is where you can find most primary sources in bio/med research. It’s a government site but that doesn’t hurt it’s credibility.

And I don’t give my dog weed or large doses of THC, just the small amount of THC that’s in compliant hemp pet products that the vet says are ok :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Just be mindful of the dose i guess.

1 Like