Looking for a cheap tracking softwAre for my lab for 5 users. People want 2-3,000 per user it’s absolutely absurd. About to just use a blackboard

We need a small team solution for tracking our batches through the stages of manufacturing from soaking to recovery to decarbing to finished product placed in storage etc.

5 users. Compatible with iPads preferably

Any recommendations ?

1 Like

Slack , JURA

1 Like

Slack is just a group messaging application. No creation of batches that I can move from station to station. JURA looks expensive and large scale

1 Like

You need to have someone build you a comprehensive spreadsheet/program. Get someone that’s super familiar with the process & just have them build you one… Shouldn’t cost more than a few thousand & you’ll be able to edit it for your specific needs…

3 Likes

Remembered what we used at my old lab finally.

Called trello. Free and easy to use. Doesn’t have a lot of QR track and trace ability but gets us started tracking batch by batch stage by stage. For anyone wondering

4 Likes

I was thinking about writing a program to do this and making it free up to a certain size business. Everything from barcode scanning everything from track and trace , calculating yield and test results. tracking different trim origins.

is this what folks are looking for?

I’ve been making software for 29 years. newbie to cannabis.

11 Likes

Ya basically create batch. Which would be about 100 pounds of biomass. Then that barcode follows that ethanol after it’s been extracted through the 10 or so steps as it gets refined so that the resulting oil can be traced back to the amount of biomass that the batch originated as and what biomass was used. And then incorporating it into our final product storage. Something like that. 10 columns the batch is dragged and dropped into the new Collumn once it moves on to the next step. And then has a QR code or just identification number that we print out and stick on the buckets that refers back to the batch number in the system so the product coorelates with the system in where it’s at in the process and which buckets and which product are which batches

3 Likes

Airtable with forms. Can add photos, files, reports, etc. Database driven, great UI, cloud based.

Kanban views too for 30,000 ft view.

Xforms…really a good mobile tool, very flexible, incorporates a lot of metadata info, signatures, markedup photos, and timestamps. Ive got a setup with the developer.

yea , bluetooth barcode scanner. Thermal label printers. Could write the app to cross compile for android and ios using flutter.

Have a small analytics app.

cool part is could later creating a data sharing platform. Measure data based on method and source.

2 Likes

Would this be something your interested in? We could work with you to provide data and then I could push this system to my clients as I build additional labs as part of my consulting

I’ll have to check out xforms. I need a very easy to use batch manipulation UI that can work with touch screen devices for my techs to move batches through the stages. A lot of the UI want stuff to be manually typed and Arnt quickly adjusted

Dropdowns and checkboxes once you set up your process

yea I actually planned on building it for my lab. will need the input of other labs to make it versatile enough for many folks to use.

Maybe we could setup a meet some time and I could gather notes from other labs.

fwiw,

I thought about using airtable, but it lacks some of the automation that I want. ie lots of manual entry, no good way to create a tight friendly UI.

Imagine receiving 1000lbs trim

Steps

1. unload and scan

2. set the trim provider as you scan with a simple tap

3. know which trim bags are oldest based on when they were scanned in

4. start an extract

5. scan bags out of inventory

6. generate 3d barcode for flasks and buckets etc

7. generate serial number for samples to be tested

8. set timers for things like washes , winterization , get push notifications for those timers

9. generate labels for jars lids with batch barcode and gram weight

10. i’m probably forgetting 10 other things

4 Likes

Hi All –

My PhD is in computer science and I have written many enterprise applications over the years and have scores of routines in the can that are easily adaptable to this business - much of which we are using in house can be quickly modified as well. If you guys can put together a comprehensive needs document and workflow I can whip something up in a week or two that I will happily provide to this community.

Will

14 Likes

So move step 7 to step 10 and replace step 7 with extraction stage 1 and then move down the stages of extraction following the bar code all the way through finished product which is your step 7. take out the timers because everything is going to be batch based there’s hard to create absolute standards as it varies a lot of the time by quality of biomass. But you’ve definitely gone down the right track for sure

1 Like

Create a timers sub section that pops up as reminder ex: wash cycle complete remove ethanol from soak tank

Or ex: batch 4 winterization complete remove from freezer.

Etc

3 Likes

I created a custom seed to sale solution with
Ninox. The ones available were too expensive and didn’t do what I wanted, so I rolled my own. I can probably get it to do whatever you want.

It’s not just iPhone, they have an android app as well. Or browser based.

You can also run a private server if you don’t want it in the cloud.

I plan on starting a Ninox thread, but never got around to it.

Pricing is about $10 per user a month for cloud based, $20 per user for private server.

You can also just run the dB local in the app for no monthly fee, but you lose some functionality.

3 Likes

I have found a lot of success with Airtable. Took me about an hour to figure out and now I swear half my business runs off of it

Lol, this is what my data model looks like.

Also, use a white board, not a blackboard

1 Like

neat, what’s the ui look like?