Looking for 4-pin plug to enable internal thermocouple in Chinese heating mantle

If you could document which pins need jumpered for the next guy, that would be awesome.

Mcgyver also points out that a foil chewing gum wrapper and the gum that came with it are another option :rofl:

1 Like

Hey I didn’t read the whole thread (sry)

But if you need that probe I have many extras. I can mail you one if you need

1 Like

You’re the plug plug?!?

4 Likes

Yes that’s it …just the plug .

Somehow this magic plug helps to Calibrate the system …Hence my set point problems .

1 Like

I know that’s what the OEM is telling you. I’m not certain they are wrong. the only magic in the plug itself is the two pairs mentioned above.

when you train a PID (autotune, thread linked above), it figures out how hard your processes is to heat or cool, and then does math based on how far it is from where you asked it to be…and tries to hit that point without overshooting.

thank you again @Beaker!

the initial “burn-in” on a new mantle doesn’t seem like it should be any different, unless the OEM suggest doing it without a boiling flask 1/2 full of liquid. other than there may be smoke. unfortunately I’m not actually certain on that point. just mostly.

if @midsfactory actually is the plug plug, you’re in business. if one or other of you has a multi-meter and can let us know which pins are being connected, we can turn “magic” into science :wink:

do you have a manual that you can post?

3 Likes

The oem did say do burn in without boiling flask and plug inserted ,instead I chose to go the opposite route and use the probe because the plug wasn’t available and still csnt wait on it to come from chickity china the chinese chicken…At one point the mantle did shoot over my 300 set point when I was using water but now its failing got replicate the process.Yes theres a manual all 2 pages in chinese ,hes sending me the translated version alongside the plug .

your alternate procedure would seem like the correct response.

I don’t understand how a probe in water would exceed 300f under your conditions. I personally would not ask the mantle to try performing that trick…on the off chance that it might succeed :wink:

edit: is it reading oC or oF? I find it so strange that so many of the cheap mantles only read oF.

2 Likes

I have spare plugs and thermocouples for these mantles. Let me know if you need one.

1 Like

Is it the white mantle ?

I did the same thing here, didnt recieve a jumper plug (Thanks @Terry_Manager) so burn it in on 380C for 5min witj the prope laying on table.

Have i fucked up the PID now? Do i need the jumper plug now still and when do i need it/application.

Its reading room temp with prope in and no heat on.

Stupid… and the mantle is one of those things that give fear of the process due to possible overshooting for a newbie. not burning it in correctly definitely didnt help the nerves :thinking:

should i put in a open flask with water’n prope in to see how accurate PID is now?

Yep. .

1 Like

So yes to…

I need the plug before doin much more

And then see if i/terry fucked it up after with A flask with water

Manuel is a joke too lol

Nope.

It was aimed at the last question.

Was pressed for time. And interface insists on at least 5 characters :shushing_face:

Olive oil or crude would be better. So you could aim at 150C rather than 95

Which is what it should do…

I would have burned it in with the probe sitting in the mantle not on the bench, but if it didn’t catch fire, and still warms up when you ask it to, you should just need to train it on your process (auto-tune).

2 Likes

Did you start at the top of the thread?!?

@midsfactory is apparently the local plug plug, and there are also three other solutions offered in addition to “don’t worry about it”.

Which is why I figured a “yep” would get you by…

2 Likes

hehe :rofl: :rofl: those things easily goes bye me when im in europe with shippin and all, often just mad expensive to ship, severale times already on this site been offered goodwill/somethin in US but just feel gets complicatle easy n also maybe even offered dont want to be of troubles lol.

Definitely some things with these mantles i have hard time putting 2 n 2 together with PID and how i defeat it aha i use the search bar alot, i understand the words but not the whole often for some while.

I need the auto tune explained and yes i read all your comments on it you being the PID info plug hehe.

is it this procedure according to USALabs manual on this model

If self adjustment is needed note that it reduces time to heat,
accuracy is improved when the mantle is in a different altitude or the
amount of liquid reaches above the edge of the mantle.
Only start self adjustment when the mantle is cool.
To start self adjustment hold the + heat key for 5 seconds until “Lc”
is displayed. Change the value to “27” then press “Heat” Change the
value from “0” to “1” Press “Heat” again to return to the main menu.
When the volume of liquid is large or the viscosity is high increase
the stirrer speed.

and by going 150C on this procedure it then trains the PID to be more accurate in that temp range correct or ?

do one useally start with the self adjustusting with a set temp, and then bump up 5*C at a time from there when distilling wich also trains the PID?

and just after the initial first temp setting reached you only want to bump 5C when using it without self adjusting?

im confused what the self adjusting program is vs just setting it to a temp and turn it on, does the pid only start to learn on one of the two?

soon i will just put it over my head and say thats the function a helmet now dumbass with a mantle as a helmet.

1 Like

well then.

umm.

fuck!

silly hat day it is…

2 Likes

@Soxhlet just posted a link to this PID tutorial.

Read it, and see if you can fix that hat…

https://www.thorlabs.com/tutorials.cfm?tabID=5DFCA308-D07E-46C9-BAA0-4DEFC5C40C3E

(Hit me up via DM).

5 Likes

Sorry i fall out easy constant pain and dragging my mind along, Thats a book in itself

I bought the avocado oil and tried witj prope in the flask, seems to read accurate on display. It stopped going up after 152, then fell.

Stir bir inside 1500rpm