Long skinny collection pot vs wider shorter

I use quick connects on my 12" base, but doing pours without a pour spout is a fucking headache.

1 Like

I hate my 12" collection. I want an 8" honestly. If you went to an 8x48 that would be similar to the 12x24

3 Likes

Wouldnt stoute and wide give more surface area for recovery times

Tall and Skinny would have more surface area, more even heat also

7 Likes

I would suggest @anon60420198 just build on what you have and get a jacketed base to run hot water through and nitro push everything into it instead of putting cold iso etc in it.

I have 10"x36"
Bottom 12" is fully jacketed with spout

I have no problems with the 10" collection, and the base being completely jacketed with pour spout works wonders, I donā€™t think I could recover faster (passively). Iā€™m going to upgrade to another 10" jacketed to get past 40lbs.

4 Likes

I could totally be wrong, but I think I remember reading Greywolf posting that its the surface area of the puddle/pool of butane that affects the rate of recovery. It was on a thread about the VaporHawg and someone said they wanted an even bigger pot than 12" because their 12" pot couldnā€™t max out the pump

1 Like

Idk anything about his posts. Im thinking of heated surface area. More surface heat the deeper the heat can penetrate. The smaller the diameter the further it can reach at a lower temp.

I could be wrong. There are a ton of ppl here that i cant even understand. Way out of my league smart

4 Likes

Youā€™re right. Thatā€™s why certain systems are made with tall skinny collection pots. And larger cauldron have the coil to heat the middle of the solvent

6 Likes

I think youā€™ll find that the more surface area that you have the quicker you can off gas (at the same temp) which is the main reason why Bhogart went to horizontal so you can take advantage of more and larger pumps while keeping the temps at a low level. I suppose you can heat up your product faster in a jacketed tube, but you will be trading off overheating your product because of sub nominal surface area to off gas.

4 Likes

Surface area of heat or evaporation surface area? Because youā€™re right bhogart went horizontal but bizzybee and precision are both vertical
@Homesteader

2 Likes

I always thought it was better to have more vapor producing surface area. When running propane equipmentā€¦like non extraction stuffā€¦like farm stuffā€¦you begin to be limited by the amount of propane vapor available. When you go to a bigger tank, it isnā€™t just larger in size like a 5 gal propane tank and a 10 galā€¦where it is simply taller. Both those tanks produce the vapor at the same rate. You would go with a horizontal tank, or tank of a larger diameter to increase the rate of vapor production by having a larger vapor producing area.

I could be wrong about this thoughā€¦this is more my experience than what Iā€™ve readā€¦

4 Likes

the idea behind the horizontal vessel is greater surface area contact between heated area and solution. having increased vapor head space gives your gas somewhere to expand to if youā€™re not keeping up condensing (or using a pump to recover)

im still not sure why everyone is still stuck using their collection pots as evaporatorsā€¦

5 Likes

+1 on this but lots of power to evaporate a constant flow

1 Like

Its hiding back there but thats a 12x24 collection with a jacketed bottom drain platter, I run my recovery bath at 110Ā°F max and can run 25lbs of solvent through 5lbs of material in about 2 to 3 hours. Iā€™ve never even considered that the 12x24 should also be jacketed. I dont believe it would even speed up recovery much. But the thought of going to a 6x48 seems like it would deff be much slower.

1 Like

Surface area for better evap. Simple demonstration . . . which will create more steam when boiling on high on a gas stove where the flames will go on up the sides of the smaller pan? A 4" saucepan, or a 12"?

3 Likes

I tried explaining that to my boss when I have been wanting to get away from my 12" collection and get a taller 8". It gave me a headache

@Homesteader

7 Likes

I run a 12 by 24 with a shatter platter as well in a 85 degree water bath about 9" up the sides and usually running 35 to 40lbs of solvent and recover with a K&F dual diaphragm to the cold recovery tank and a TRS21 ( to my high pressure tank) in 2.5 hours. But Iā€™m sure that if the unit were able to be horizontal that it would off gas much quicker because of greater open surface area not more heated area. If you check out how the horizontal units are heated verses a vertical version, the percentage of actual heated area on the horizontal unit is a fraction of the surface area compared to a vertical style in a 9" water bath.

Tall skinny is great for fractionating and siphoning off the top with a straw.

Wider provides better evaporation.

3 Likes

I am pretty sure a 12" saucepan would allow an equal volumn of water to boil faster as it would mean more surface area of water in contact with the metal being heated. I think the comparison that needs to be made here is the surface area of the portion of tank being heated, maybe in a ratio to the surface area of top level of solvent in the tank. Iā€™m still waking up but Iā€™ll be back once I can show some numbers.

I just switched my collection from regular 10x2 splatter platter and cooler/sous vedeā€¦
to a 10" jacketed base 6" deep with pour spout, doing a couple runs today, Iā€™ll let yall know if itā€™s faster, slower, or the sameā€¦

1 Like