No “boom” exploding jar in the oven?

2 Likes

Can’t use jars, gotta use large diamond miners

Something like this

I vacuum down then back fill with N2 at 5-10psi to prevent oxidation

21 Likes

Good :green_heart::facepunch:

1 Like

I loved those style of carts. Where did you source those?

2 Likes

I have done a few, @Dred_pirate posted something awhile back about it. Basically cap some mother liquor in a jar and cook for a couple of days at 140.

For my terp sauce nowadays I do what @FicklePickle mentions with backfill, then stick my little pot in a sous vide bath at 140 for a few days. Still very similar to what dred posted.

If I’m melting diamonds, I just throw em in the toaster oven, decarb, then squirt into carts. I like the straight disty carts sometimes.

6 Likes

Here’s dreds post for anyone who’s interested

9 Likes

At 180 it takes around 12hrs depending on quantity

5 Likes

Well that’s good to know, that’s a whole lot faster!

Thanks man!

1 Like

Man…these were from a while ago and dont remember off top where we sourced them. If I remember when I’m back at work I’ll try and find out for ya. They were dope with the adjustable air flow holes.

2 Likes

Mine is done in a jar from start to finish. However, By the time I’m pouring into the jar to decarb almost all my solvent is gone from the extract. Miner is a great idea tho. I’m just usually doing multiple kilos of sauce at a time and only got 2 miners :man_shrugging:

I’d guess your burping the jars then? PRV? The amount of carbon your breaking off that much sauce would surely explode it otherwise

1 Like

Lid isnt “tight” on there by no means. But yes, at least once I day I’ll burp the jars a little to let out pressure. There is plenty of headspace in the jars also… never enuf pressure built up in the jars to even push up a lid or bend it in any way to begin with… but, now ya got me thinkin bout repurposing some old steel I got layin around! :facepunch::100:

1 Like

Do you know the amount your losing during the decarb?

Generally I’m around 12% anything more then that tells me I’m losing terps

2 Likes

Yup. That’s my number too… right around 12% on average. I’ve had anywhere from 9% up to 14.5%… with no tests to back it up per sei I did notice the terps weren’t as prevalent in the higher yield loss. So I assumed like you the extra loss is my terps.

2 Likes

I just bought a desk top centrifuge just to get around this. Spin the terps off, decarb the thca, then reintroduce.

My most recent batch (pre fuge) of a chem lost some of the delicate terps in the decarb process. Still smells and tastes like absolute fire, but it’s not enough. The loss on that was around 14-15%.

I think the terp loss comes down to the specific terps your working with. At least that’s what I’m seeing.

After I’m done with my decarb. I put the vessel in the freezer to help condense some of the terps that vaporized

2 Likes

I’ve thought about that centrifuge route just to try and keep some more of those terps in know I’m losing in decarb. You got my brain working with the possibilities of the miner tho!

That back in freezer and letting the terps condense idea is a great idea! :+1:

You are right tho… it seems very stain specific the amount of terp loss. Also, I’ve noticed some strains just dont do well with this process IME. Just lose too much in the process. Sativa, fruity (berries), citrus terps seem to transfer over the best.

1 Like

Yeah I’m a huge fan of the fuge. @TwistedStill and I have been experimenting with them recently.

I agree berry strains come over identical

Gas/ kush strains lose some of the delicates

2 Likes

The carts look like Itsuwa Amigo Liberty V9 kinda… not sure if they are though

1 Like

Wolkentek has the best carts for rosin. Take a look at them at wolkentek.com . Contact me if you would like an introduction with them. tobyl@naturesnirvana.net or 805-358-5218 Toby

do you recommend the quartz or ceramic atomizer?

I am still waiting for some samples @Wolkentek was sending me.