Linalool

Common Name: Linalool

Note: One of the most common cannabis terpenes, certainly in the top 10260px-Linalool_Enantiomers_Structural_Formulae

IUPAC Name: 3,7-Dimethylocta-1,6-dien-3-ol

Other names: β-linalool, linalyl alcohol, linaloyl oxide, p-linalool, allo-ocimenol

Stereochemistry:

Steroecenter at C-3 giving:
( R )-(–)-linalool AKA “licareol” (l form)colorless liquid;
bp760 198C bp25 98-98.3C;
d20 0.8622;
insol in water, miscible w/ alcohol, ether

(S)-(+)-linalool AKA “coriandrol” (d form)
bp760 198-200C bp26 114-114.5C;
d20 0.8733;
sol in 10 volumes 50% alcohol, 4 volumes 60% alcohol

CAS# 78-70-6 (racemic or dl)

Type: Monoterpene / terpene alcohol

Flavor Definition: (racemic) At 10.00 ppm. Citrus, orange, lemon, floral, waxy, aldehydic and woody

Scent Definition:
(S)-(+) - Sweet, Floral, petitgrain (odor threshold 7.4 ppb)
( R )-(–) - Woody, lavender (odor threshold 0.8 ppb)

Biosynthetic route: Standard monoterpene mevalonic acid route via IPP>DMAPP>>>Geranyl PP>Linaloyl-PP>Linalool

Potential Degradation Products: B-myrcene, alpha-terpinene, gamma-terpinene, terpinolene, a-phellandrene, camphene

Possible Effects: relaxation, anti-anxiety, anti-depressant, anti-acne, Anti-inflammatory Pain Reduction

Natural Sources: found 100s of plants including cannabis, Ceylon cinnamon, sassafras, orange flower, bergamot, ylang ylang, etc

Much much more to come…@Future let us know what you want

12 Likes

Can you post research articles for your “possible effects” claims?

I am just a process chemist, so I really debated even including the “possible effects” because I have nothing to back up this info. So, in retrospect, I may delete that. Without thorough controlled studies, effects claims are dubious at best.

7 Likes

Appreciate the honesty!

Data Dump Link to Linalool paper on it’s ability to reduce inflammatory pain.

@CakeOnIt this is exactly what I had in mind! I’m gonna throw some formatting into your post, then hopefully @sidco comes over here and helps us get the wiki rolling.

5 Likes

I know this isn’t the right spot but is it possible to strip terpenes of the natural color and most the flavor, to end up with some like flavorless cutting agent, if so how do you think they are doing this at some places

Just don’t feel there’s a big enough topic to start thread

Terpenes inherently have colour, smell and flavour properties due to their molecular structure so you cannot strip these properties from terpenes. However there may be a specific terpene or similar class of compound that has the properties you desire, ie. colourless, fragrenceless and tasteless. And if looking for a cutting agent why not use classic VG or PG. to my knowledge these both satisfy your needs

Not getting good results with PG VG anything, the cloudy yellow not pleasing, and taste not near good enough… Was hoping there was way too strip, end up with a product tasteless clear terp to be cutting agent, I get way more flavor from the ones I was buying compared to the straight VG or pg… I’ve tried wax liquidizer and farm2vape…F2V best for the quicky and I use ccell brand carts… But my product I bought that was tastless terpS have worked the best so far… Thanks for the help buddy

1 Like

There is a discussion about what you talking about here in the cannabis derived terpene discussion. I wasn’t sure how to link the topic mods please help!

1 Like

It also is used by pesticide companies to control insects. This is a common use of many terpenes as it probably one of the key functions of terpenes as a deterent and insecticide.

Here is the Wiki page on this commonly used product (mostly fragrance in soaps and such);

“In addition, linalool is used by pest professionals as a flea, fruit fly, and cockroach insecticide. It can also be used a method of pest control for codling moths.”

Anything that kills cockroaches is alright by me! :sunglasses:

I would point out as a matter of interest that nearly all the write ups concerning the effects and uses of terpenes, uses as industrial solvents and pesticides are commonly left out of posts despite the free availability of the information. I personally avoid terpenes myself but certainly just because it is an insecticide is not the reason at all.

Why is it that threads concerning such things often elect to omit the other uses for that stuff we find in our extracts except for anecdotes and links that lend only credibility to the medicinal effects even if that information is purely anecdotal? I think it is the psychology at play but isn’t it fair in a discussion of these things to also list the ordinary uses as well?

4 Likes

I have long held that most secondary metabolites made by plants are in fact an attempt to kill us, or at least dissuade us and other herbivores/omnivores from chowing down and disrupting their production of progeny.

There is anecdotal evidence (& a published clinical note) lthat Linalool may have anti-seizure properties in the subset of epilepsy that responds to cbd and naught else

1 Like