Let's talk mushrooms. Non-psychedelic though

Agreed. I always snag a few packs at H Mart.

1 Like

Lions Maine ā€œcrab cakesā€ fucking slap. One of my favorite recipesā€¦ I bet lionsmane crab Rangoon a would be fucking amazing too.

4 Likes

I like it, tattoos should be earned imo.

2 Likes

If you leave your mushies in the sun for a bit before you cook them, they produce more vitamin D, like a lot more.

4 Likes

I was not aware that all oyster mushrooms were not toxic. I know there are so many varieties of the oyster species, but amazing none of them produce any toxins.

Mushrooms have been playing a huge part of your familyā€™s life for years then. Your wife must be a badass as well pushing on like that for Boletes like that

Interesting read. Morel tek is still hush hush. We need to fix that.

6 Likes

I absolutely love that someone shared this here. I just read this the other night and I would love to figure this tek out.

1 Like

Pretty sure morels are opportunistic and not necessarily mycorrhizal.

I wouldnā€™t be surprised if the tek was as straightforward as it looks. Spawning into trays of substrate that also has the grass seed that it prefers to grow with

In addition, the lighting in that room looks much more yellow than typically used to fruit mushrooms.

2 Likes

Dinklberg! Good catch on the lighting, I had not even noticed that. I wonder how deeply the color scheme of the lighting affects the growth of these particular fungi.

But, that being said, do they not prefer aspen, oak, elm, and several other trees? Or do you think the grass would substitute the nutrients it would be taking from the trees? However, only the best nutrient rich grass for this species?

2 Likes

Morels are definitely a favorite of mine. Found these in my lawn last night.

Edit - I havenā€™t read the article yet but I find most of mine in or near lawns/grass

4 Likes

Oh I am so very envious, I can only imagine the delicacies you will enjoy with that hull. I can not wait to find my first harvest (or figure this cultivation out!) to try them in some food. What are of the country are you in if you do not mind me asking?

1 Like

Iā€™m in west Michigan in the US. They only have a small window in the spring where you need warmish temps and rain. Some years I only find a couple. In 2013-14 I found approximately 30 lbs both years. We used to have a Campbellā€™s mushroom plant and they tried to grow them commercially but couldnā€™t figure it out.

1 Like

Yeah, from what I understand from family stories it can be really hit or miss in some areas during a season.

Iā€™m from Kentucky/Indiana are, literally grew up around and on the Ohio River. When I told my father of my new found passion and work he told me stories of all the mushrooms him and my uncle used to forage through the years, it blew my mind.

1 Like

Still a little early here, but theyā€™re coming!

6 Likes

It is the right time for them to start popping, would love to have find a proper patch out here near LA to go explore if we get some rain in the near future

1 Like

Are those a different strain of Morels? They look slightly different than the ones I am familiar with seeing

1 Like

From what I understand, and my knowledge on this is limited, there are three types of morels here in Michigan. Thereā€™s your typical brown/tan, which seem to be the most common. Greys (the ones pictured), and blacks, which are a little darker than the grays.

2 Likes
The effects of Lion's mane are amazing. I like them because they assist with memory recall and boost my energy levels. However, you must take them for an extended period of time in order to notice a difference.
2 Likes