Let's talk mushrooms. Non-psychedelic though

As most of us agree, cubes are amazing and can be beneficial to us through mental and neural aid. This is why I started my mycology career and spent months cultivating cubes.

I am back at it again with gourmet and medicinal species. I wanted to ask the community here a couple questions:

1. What is your favorite non magic mushroom?
  2. Why is this your favorite? Is it taste, nutritional, medical benefits, or whatever reason you may have for it being your favorite.
  3. If medical benefits, what is it helping you with? Do you know the compounds responsible for this?
  4. If taste, please share some cooking recipes you use… always looking for new meals to try
  5. If nutritional, please explain! I am curious to see how people are incorporating fungus into their diets and supplement regimes to balance their bodies.

Thanks everyone! I look forward to see what some of you say.

15 Likes

Love this topic. Functional mushrooms are the future for sure. I’m curious about Aminita Muscara. Any experience with it?

8 Likes

Found on a hike Saturday! Oysters I think

I like the delicious wild mushrooms, chantrwlllss oysters morels hedgehogs, etc
Also like growing them(other phone has the pics)

9 Likes

Lots of cool non psychedelic products at yesterday’s event , want to carry em in my hemp store

5 Likes

Why’s that guy sitting with his forehead on the wall if those aren’t the goodies?

his booth is the only one facing the right direction

6 Likes

The morels will start popping here in Michigan soon. I’ve had a little success in starting my own personal patch in the backyard by shaking out the bags used to collect wild morels. Usually plenty of dirt, sand, and spores in the bottom of the bag so I started dumping the dirt out under a pine tree. It took about two or three years of this before I found them starting to grow while mowing the grass one spring day.

6 Likes

I showed up hella late bc I only wanted to see the vendors, people were kinda breaking down at this point

2 Likes

I’ve been extracting cordyceps militaris (cordyceps), hericium erinaceus (lions mane), and ganoderma lucidum (reishi).

The most noticeable in effects have been lions mane and cordyceps but the health benefits of all three are well documented in literature. The lions mane provides effects within minutes - the blood flow to extremities, heightened awareness, and even jittery feeling in high doses. The cordyceps affects me moreso with consistent daily dosing - I don’t seem to get sleepy as easily after long work hours and shorter-than-usual sleep durations have me feeling fully rested.

I have a couple friends who will be helping me test for compounds such as cordycepin and hericenones, but I’ve been contacting ISO 17025 food testing labs about full panel polysaccharide, carbohydrate, fat/lipid, protein, etc testing. Full nutritional basically - plus shelf-life testing and more! If anyone has recommended testing labs please let me know!

I see a lot of extracts out there and few with COA’s behind them …

I will also say that I don’t process every medicinal mushroom the same exact way (check target compounds for solubility, degradation temperatures, etc) and certainly not the same way I would process something like cubes…

I’ve even seen neat application for liquid-liquid extraction in literature, separating anti-tumoral and anti-cancerous compounds into a non-polar fraction from lions mane extract. There is lots to learn, and I’m throwing pocket money into the R&D at the moment!

If any small farms want to work together I have lots of ideas and a network to put some cool R&D together. I’m a pretty open book to the right folks. Let’s talk😁

14 Likes

Lobster mushroom( Hypomyces lactifluorum) is one of my favorites to eat.
Although I believe it’s a parasitic fungus; cultivation might be a challenge.

They are readily available on forays where I roam. One time durring a particularly long Portage I must have kicked over a couple hundred over several kilometers, they were unavoidable. I doubled back to snag some but the mosquitos were legendary so I only got a tshirt basket full.

Cook as you would with any seafood and be amazed at it’s true to name flavour and texture. Even the appearance is like that of lobster meat.
Bisque, seafood cakes, or if you are out and about just some butter/garlic and pan fry, serve with chunk of toasty bread.

I think they might pair well with a good steak(never done it); nerf 'n turf.

12 Likes

growing lions mane and reishi and turkey tail to fill my micros with. Just dry and grind into a powder.
Lions mane is my favorite because it taste like lobster, just cook with some salt and butter and asparagus. I want to get into making some type of lions mane bisque when I have the time.

5 Likes

I have not done any experimenting with Amanita Muscaria, but there are certain people out there that claim along with its certain magical effects, it can have amazing benefits as well. You just have to make sure it is prepared correctly and you cook off the toxins if I am not wrong.

1 Like

If I am not wrong, you and I had already been talking a bit. So, I love your input. I’ve been taking a store bought supplement for the last two weeks of Lionsmane and Cordyceps. They have certainly seemed to have had some benefits but I feel the product is diluted due to it being made up of fruiting bodies and mycelial mass… therefore the grains it grew on are included… which I feel probably take a good percentage of the products total weight and reduce the benefits I could and should be feeling.

Thankfully I have lionsmane growing for me right now and that will not be a problem much longer. I just need to get some cordycep spores and dial in that cultivation.

I love the idea of COA’s this early in the mushroom industry. People like you thinking about the certification of quality products are what we need to keep strong in this industry. That way we can keep people from wasting money on products that are 50-70% grain spawn.

I know about cordycepin, but I am not familiar with hericenones. Any good literature on this topic other than a google search?

2 Likes

@Sensimilla13 Seems like a good thread for you. Are you doing any functional mushroom testing?

2 Likes

I make tea every day from Birch Polypores- Piptoporous bitulinus. I find they give some great non-jittery energy. Their taste is mild and woody, goes great with green tea and honey. Birch polypores are pretty plentiful and easy to identify also as they grow exclusively on birch trees. I’ve done water and ethanol extractions on them as well as turkey tails. I just haven’t figured out how to preserve the flavor of water-based tinctures…

The chicken of the woods, Laetiporous sulfureus/cincinattus, is a great wild edible. Easy to identify and plentiful. You can prepare them like chicken- but make sure to boil first so you know they are fully cooked. Last year I made chicken fingers, chicken parm, scampi, soups, you name it. I harvested 10lbs of the stuff and couldn’t make dishes quick enough. Has the stringy texture of white meat, very little flavor.

Other than that, my favorite wild mushroom to find are beefsteak fungus (Fistulina hepatica)! They look bizarre like a cow tongue stuck to a tree. They’re very meaty but they don’t taste like meat- they’re tart and citrusy. Last year I made a vegan tartarre using this fungus with wood sorrel, oil, and vinegar.

I am working on a list of wild mushrooms that I’ve been able to forage, identify, and consume without killing myself. Once I get up to 10 I plan on starting a leg sleeve tattoo. Finally- I’ve learned so much from this community over the years, I’m happy to offer knowledge and experience!

From best to worst in flavor, texture, and versatility;

Beefsteak fungus- tart, meaty, can eat raw
Chicken of the woods- little flavor, meaty, must cook (cincinnatus better than sulphureus, more tender)
Birch polypore- light woody flavor, can eat young ones, mature ones inedible but good for tea
Turkey tail- wood flavor, can be bitter. inedible, good for tea
Witch’s butter- delightful color, bouncy texture, absolutely no flavor. good for soup!
Tinder hoof polypore- very similar to turkey tail, but hellish to slice for tea
Old man of the woods- really cool mushroom, smells of basement, tastes of dirt. unfortunate.
Dog stinkhorn- immature eggs only. taste as good as they smell. very slimy. survival food only, trust me. the only time I would eat this is if my other option was a century egg.

Happy to respond to inquiries, mushrooms are my passion, extraction is just my career.

10 Likes

Welcome to the future @mushroom.miraculum! Great topic.

I’d be lying if I said I have a favorite, but there are a few contenders. Of course I love some morels, but I suck at finding them. Pan fried in butter with a little salt n pepper, maybe a touch of garlic, maybe breaded, maybe not. Mmmm, hard to beat.

I love the pheasant backs/dryad’s saddle because they are easy to find so I never get skunked. Little ones are good, but the bigger ones are too chewy to eat. They soak up flavor like a sponge, so a pan of pheasant backs with even one little morel will taste like a pan of morels. Love the way the look, too.

I’m a huge fan of giant puffballs, just because I think they are super cool. Still haven’t eaten one, because I always find them when they are a little past ripe. Just love the way they look mostly.

Earth star puffballs are super cool to watch mature and open up. Super fun to make the spores puff out, too.

Wood ears are easy to identify, and fun to cook with, but not really a fan of eating them. More a fan of poking them and watching them bounce. Also fun to watch them dry out and rehydrate while growing on a log.

Only saw slime mold in nature a few times, but it is absolutely one of the coolest, strangest, and most interesting fungi I have ever had the pleasure of observing.

I am extremely interested in any info anyone may have on mushrooms that may help with dementia and other mental decline.

4 Likes

Google is the way!

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/240235316_Hericenones_and_erinacines_Stimulators_of_nerve_growth_factor_NGF_biosynthesis_in_Hericium_erinaceus

3 Likes

King Bolete is my favorite, although only marginally above Chanterelles because they dehydrate so well.

A staple ingredient in ramen or pho art our house. Chanterelles shredded and fried in bacon fat with some salt at the end is probably the best mushroom preparation in my book.

If we hit a bonanza foray, multi species, I’m also a sucker for a good risotto

11 Likes

I take a long pointless walk through the woods every spring in the name of morel hunting. One of these days I will find one.

5 Likes

Lions Mane helped my back for a long time maybe around 8 months but made me irritable after a while. I was more inclined to be outside though.

4 Likes

Lions mane Hericenones
can stimulate nerve growth. There are probably reasons how too much stimulation of nerve growth could be a bad thing.

1 Like