Let's talk mushrooms. Non-psychedelic though

We have a forested area near me that’s practically carpeted with morels. Only problem is the ticks in there. While you will come out with a big bag of morels, you may have more ticks on you than morels in your bag.

4 Likes

That’s a true dilemma. Ticks can be a real pain. Growing up hunting, my father and I set up our tent on a nest or hive of ticks (not particularly sure how they congregate) after a day of no turkeys we noticed a couple ticks on our ankles only to realize they had cover our legs. Very unpleasant memory

3 Likes

Listening to the podcast now and gave it a follow already

1 Like

“It was a hobby that went too far” @DiNKLB3RG

6 Likes

Thanks Cat!
Yes just getting the method set up for cordycepin now. I am looking into other mushroom analytes that are amenable to HPLC testing and will develop methods for those. Then, as soon as there are funds for a mass spec we will develop methods for things that require the MS.

Cheers!

4 Likes
2 Likes

Driftwood oysters

2 Likes

Wow, those look incredible! Did you set these up in your yard to grow? Or did you just happen upon these beauties while walking your land? They look incredible. Have you been able to properly identify them as well?

I love that your son is always on your forays with you. Teach them to be sustainable as soon as possible!

1 Like

This log floated onto the beach behind the house we were renting. We were there today moving the last bit of stuff and noticed it was flush with Oysters. Jack, my son in the pic, was actually the one to point em out

1 Like

Jack seems like a sharp kid. That’s incredible he’s spotting mushrooms that quickly. I hope you were able to harvest some and if they aren’t toxic in any sort enjoy them.

I can imagine a log soaking in water for a while and then being washed up on land would make an amazing natural substrate for oysters and other hardwood loving fungi

Ya harvested like 90% of what you see in that pic, and ate a bunch last night. Oysters are not toxic fyi.

Jack’s been hunting mushrooms with us since he was 3 days old lol. He was actually born a week early because we were pushing it a little too hard climbing a mountain that was flush with Admirable Boletes.

1 Like

Agreed. I always snag a few packs at H Mart.

1 Like

Lions Maine “crab cakes” fucking slap. One of my favorite recipes… I bet lionsmane crab Rangoon a would be fucking amazing too.

4 Likes

I like it, tattoos should be earned imo.

2 Likes

If you leave your mushies in the sun for a bit before you cook them, they produce more vitamin D, like a lot more.

4 Likes

I was not aware that all oyster mushrooms were not toxic. I know there are so many varieties of the oyster species, but amazing none of them produce any toxins.

Mushrooms have been playing a huge part of your family’s life for years then. Your wife must be a badass as well pushing on like that for Boletes like that

Interesting read. Morel tek is still hush hush. We need to fix that.

6 Likes

I absolutely love that someone shared this here. I just read this the other night and I would love to figure this tek out.

1 Like

Pretty sure morels are opportunistic and not necessarily mycorrhizal.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the tek was as straightforward as it looks. Spawning into trays of substrate that also has the grass seed that it prefers to grow with

In addition, the lighting in that room looks much more yellow than typically used to fruit mushrooms.

2 Likes

Dinklberg! Good catch on the lighting, I had not even noticed that. I wonder how deeply the color scheme of the lighting affects the growth of these particular fungi.

But, that being said, do they not prefer aspen, oak, elm, and several other trees? Or do you think the grass would substitute the nutrients it would be taking from the trees? However, only the best nutrient rich grass for this species?

2 Likes