Let's see your set up!

There was a source of ignition and enough LPG vapors present in an I502 supposedly certified extraction room, and a fire where the equipment operator was badly hurt.

Rumors abound, including that the operator may have been wearing a polyester jersey, dispensing mega solvent rich into large jar, etc etc. I can’t confirm anything. The fire was bad enough that the room burned, the solvent tank was heated to 250psi and the PRV actuated to discharge vapors and made a fire cannon until extinguished.

6 Likes

She gives nice warm hugs during recovery

3 Likes

:blush::blush::blush::blush::blush:

1 Like

Thanks for the constructive feedback @cyclopath. Done and done on the nitrogen tank bracket, chain, and dolly up against the wall with longer hose lines.

I’m calling USA Lab today about the lab chiller’s magnetic relay and housing, but will happily port it to the other side of the wall where the sous vide bath is already located.

5 Likes

Uploading: IMG_5095.MP4…

11 Likes

Six frosty solvent columns on a bizzy mega rack I helped setup and train in Oklahoma. Has six (6x48) solvent columns, six (6x48) material columns, four 6" crc pods and a giant cauldron. I only took pictures of this because I forgot. I’ll snag pics next time I go out to the Oklahomies

33 Likes

damn that looks crazy!

Just curious, would insulating the columns and lines help drastically with a system this big? I would imagine the loss of cold being expressed here would be quite a bit of $$ at the end of the day with dry ice or electricity to power the chillers. I guess the ice is probably insulating it to a degree at that thickness :rofl:

us smaller guys just drool at these kinds of pics. Keep them coming!!

7 Likes

Damn those are frosty!!!

God damn!

2 Likes

Totally would. Boris just thinks it looks pretty and doesn’t have to clean up the mess afterwards :laughing:

6 Likes

Yes absolutely. I cannot install that insulation on the material columns are part of an iron fist install because it is not food grade as it can trap moisture when it thaws. I do provide specific instructions and photographs of technically non compliant insulation wraps on fully compliant certified systems that I’ve done on every jacketed column machine I’ve run more than a few days.

As far as tubing I can insulate it and all water lines and some hydrocarbon lines should be insulated. It’s a lot cheaper than vacuum jacketed tubing. However I’m not totally satisfied with the type of tubing insulation I’ve used in the past and am looking for a better solution. Very much in seek of more high quality options for insulating 1/2” and 3/4” OD tubing. I have to figure out how to bend the 3/4 or maybe 1 inch stuff next. I really don’t want to have to go to 1” pipe to get the water flow I need, but i don’t have a tubing bender solution for bigger tubing and the union elbows needed for tube would get in the way. Hmmmmm

7 Likes

Oh, definitely insulating them would help greatly. I have everything insulated on my system.
This was also the maiden voyage for the equipment.

10 Likes

I do the exact same. She’s always undressed for the maiden voyage. I want to see any leaks on clamps and connections. I don’t hide potential leak points until the system has been heat cycled several times.

5 Likes

Depending on the wall thickness you should be able to bend the stainless tubing on a greenlee 555 or equivalent conduit bender. Most of my food and pharma customers are moving to all stainless rigid conduit instead of PVC coated.

2 Likes

With that big of a temperature swing from ambient to -60c multiple times, the first use. I definitely need her naked to find any leaks. Which definitely happen

4 Likes

Aside from the very good insulation, this is where that vacuum jacket capability shines. Triple wall for the win.

4 Likes

@SamuraiSam for the win

2 Likes

I plumbed mine from the ceiling as well. This PX10 should be called PX3. I’m not very happy with the design after using it for a few months. I had to make tons of mods after the engineer signed off

4 Likes

Ya i have a px1 thats a piece, totally designed by someone who hasnt ran a setup before.

1 Like

Better hit me up next time you’re in town :sunglasses:

2 Likes