Let's see your set up!

Is this the result of the C1D1 room you were building in that old thread? :+1:

2 Likes

It is indeed—there’s no air conditioning either :hot_face:

3 Likes

do they allow drop ceiling in iso 9001?

Really nice build. Love the floor, love epoxy, hate epoxy floor prep. One trick we use to clean floor b/4 epoxy is rent a grocery store steam carpet cleaner. steam vac the concrete, let dry, apply epoxy.

DIY ductless mini-split works wonders for cooling; the DIY model is precharged so no need to hire a AC guy to charge it (around here costs 1/2 as much as minisplit)

https://www.homedepot.com/p/MRCOOL-DIY-Gen-3-23-000-BTU-20-SEER-ENERGY-STAR-Ductless-Mini-Split-Air-Conditioner-Heat-Pump-w-25-ft-Install-Kit-230-Volt-DIY24-HP-230B25/311900314

6 Likes

That’s a good idea for floor prep!

1 Like

They have many different brands and they seem a bit cheaper than home depo

Nice prices! Make sure you get the DIY model, the other models are not charged and will require you pay a bunch of $$ to charge with refrigerant.

I have 2 i just cant remember which one i have

1 Like

I’m really happy about how this turned out.

38 Likes

That thing is quite beautiful!

2 Likes

Do you have any recommendations on bulk floor epoxy? Looking to do 1500sqft and don’t want to buy a bunch of those Home Depot garage kits

3 Likes

Go talk to Sherwin Williams about a marine grade epoxy. The Home Depot stuff sucks

9 Likes

yep “marine” grade forsure is the way to go!

4 Likes

Damn phil that floor looks fantastic and a step beyond what I’ve seen so far in extraction rooms. most of the floor epoxies and sealants i have encountered wear badly after 1-2yrs in a production environment with of alcohol and other solvent contact plus moving equipment like solvent tanks etc… would be great to hear feedback on long term durability of fancier finishes. Having spent time in 3 labs with epoxied floors I’ve always dreamed of polished concrete though I know it’s not as sanitary.

5 Likes

Its funny when you see that amount of equipment in a building that looks like its gonna fall down. That is a top notch room though for sure

4 Likes

Existing conditions make a big difference in what I choose for flooring. When I have to pull up glue down carpet, then grind the glue off, then clean, then epoxy, i’ve stopped using epoxy. Instead, I float the floor and install commercial grade (hospital and lab grade) sheet vinyl. Much faster prep, cheaper, and if you seal all the edges, pretty great stuff.

edit: i find if I miss any old glue on the floor the epoxy hates it and longevity of that area and ultimately the entire floor is doubtful. this is particularly a pain in the ass in corners & edges where the expensive ass diamond grinder wont reach.

I’ve installed 12x12 lvt (old school commercial version of vinyl tile). You can seal this stuff and make it shine, and likely outlast epoxy, however check your local code as specific flooring surfaces and performance are required in different municipalities and health departments. The 12x12 are less expensive and becoming my favorite floor surface in areas without high potential chemical exposure (pic is the 12x12 LVT tile sealed before sealed at edges)

Chemical-Resistance-for-Vinyl-Tile-Maintenance.pdf (63.7 KB)

11 Likes

Here’s our chromatography setup during our first run on the 100L c-18 column. It’s a bit messy now as the manifold is just temporarily setup like this until I run all our hard lines.

25 Likes

But for real, consider how many of these plus vac ovens, pumps etc, are in some Sheriff’s locker in Humboldt. LOTS!

13 Likes

Or in the deputies friends spots, i can list a dozen nice pieces of equipment that never turned up

9 Likes

Preach!

3 Likes