Let's see your set up!

Exhaust fan or not, that chiller should not be in the same room as your extractor.

It has a relay on the compressor that almost certainly qualifies as a source of ignition.

Gas tank needs secured too.

23 Likes

Second the nitro needs to be chained to then wall.

7 Likes

kinda new if anyone humble enough to help me on a few rookie things? could use any tips on ratio of crc powder. I kinda winged it here on the build. Btw the crc is below the ball valve now

5 Likes

I wanna hug her :relaxed:

4 Likes

I have a similar setup and I put my CRC before the ball valve. I’m only using B80 though so additional contact time is beneficial. Let us know any questions you have, we want to make sure you stay safe :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Finally got to power on this EX80 I installed with Iron Fist, for Knotty at Primo Cannabis last week

Stoked to implement my simplified hybrid (Active + Passive) concept and see it work with a proper chiller

I personally don’t love mirrored systems as they present a logistical challenge to plumb safely without any hoses as tripping hazards… and for a few other reasons…

So I elected to plumb everything overhead with stainless tubing and make drop lines down to the components. Make it as simple as possible to operate with no hoses to swap or disconnect. Hot gas boost from either pump, extra take-offs for nitrogen, remote port to send propane vapors, extra vacuum ports for the pump located outside the room. (But still exhausts into the room). Every component of the machine is bonded to ground - new WA requirement after the Sticky Budz incident - making things as safe as possible!

Kept 360 degree access around the system which is nice!

(the nitrogen tank isn’t secured here - they’re upgrading the bracket for something bigger.)

Had to dial in the bending skills for some three point saddles on two planes!

Fun stuff learning how to make everything lay perfectly square… on the ceiling :smile:

38 Likes

Epic! Are you knotty from back in the day

3 Likes

thanks! I’m not @knottyy he’s been making oil Years before my time, but I am the guy in his most recent instagram picture, lol. We’d hooked up the chiller a few weeks ago, and took 'er for a test drive with the guys at ProChillers before the machine was ready for hydrocarbons.

5 Likes

What happened?

There was a source of ignition and enough LPG vapors present in an I502 supposedly certified extraction room, and a fire where the equipment operator was badly hurt.

Rumors abound, including that the operator may have been wearing a polyester jersey, dispensing mega solvent rich into large jar, etc etc. I can’t confirm anything. The fire was bad enough that the room burned, the solvent tank was heated to 250psi and the PRV actuated to discharge vapors and made a fire cannon until extinguished.

6 Likes

She gives nice warm hugs during recovery

3 Likes

:blush::blush::blush::blush::blush:

1 Like

Thanks for the constructive feedback @cyclopath. Done and done on the nitrogen tank bracket, chain, and dolly up against the wall with longer hose lines.

I’m calling USA Lab today about the lab chiller’s magnetic relay and housing, but will happily port it to the other side of the wall where the sous vide bath is already located.

5 Likes

Uploading: IMG_5095.MP4…

11 Likes

Six frosty solvent columns on a bizzy mega rack I helped setup and train in Oklahoma. Has six (6x48) solvent columns, six (6x48) material columns, four 6" crc pods and a giant cauldron. I only took pictures of this because I forgot. I’ll snag pics next time I go out to the Oklahomies

33 Likes

damn that looks crazy!

Just curious, would insulating the columns and lines help drastically with a system this big? I would imagine the loss of cold being expressed here would be quite a bit of $$ at the end of the day with dry ice or electricity to power the chillers. I guess the ice is probably insulating it to a degree at that thickness :rofl:

us smaller guys just drool at these kinds of pics. Keep them coming!!

7 Likes

Damn those are frosty!!!

God damn!

2 Likes

Totally would. Boris just thinks it looks pretty and doesn’t have to clean up the mess afterwards :laughing:

6 Likes

Yes absolutely. I cannot install that insulation on the material columns are part of an iron fist install because it is not food grade as it can trap moisture when it thaws. I do provide specific instructions and photographs of technically non compliant insulation wraps on fully compliant certified systems that I’ve done on every jacketed column machine I’ve run more than a few days.

As far as tubing I can insulate it and all water lines and some hydrocarbon lines should be insulated. It’s a lot cheaper than vacuum jacketed tubing. However I’m not totally satisfied with the type of tubing insulation I’ve used in the past and am looking for a better solution. Very much in seek of more high quality options for insulating 1/2” and 3/4” OD tubing. I have to figure out how to bend the 3/4 or maybe 1 inch stuff next. I really don’t want to have to go to 1” pipe to get the water flow I need, but i don’t have a tubing bender solution for bigger tubing and the union elbows needed for tube would get in the way. Hmmmmm

7 Likes