Let's see your set up!

Lol it was racked to beam ya bitter old man

1 Like

Got all the fittings on collection taped up for a pressure test last night. Pressurized with 100psi from a compressor before I went to bed, and it was all still in there this morning. Only thing missing at this point, is the tane. Meanwhile I’m sitting here like…0BFA2AF2-7D2C-4022-AA46-10A6F192B7C0

7 Likes

@TheWillBilly wants I should be more positive…

You DO have gas in there!!!
And it’s a good thing…

I’d leave it there for a day or two, and then see how it does WITHOUT any gas in there (vacuum test).

You probably don’t have digital vacuum gauge. They’re not critical in this application but do give more insight than an analog gauge (easier to ID leaks on day to day)

4 Likes

Aye, you are correct lol, I was just leaning on the colloquial use of “gas” to describe flammable hydrocarbons, so I could justify dropping a meme that still amuses me too much. But yeah, I need to go ahead and do the same with recovery, and the material column caps too. Planning to vac it all down all at once once fully assembled as I’m still 1 gauge short to finish the top still. Are you aware of any relatively inexpensive digital gauges that have bluetooth/wifi for logging data over time?

2 Likes

There is an open source one here somewhere.

Edit: DIY: Vacuum and Temp Monitor Under $150

Because links == stealing all your fun

Edit: see also Budget Digital Vacuum Sensor, read a 60$ pirani gauge through your PC

Because that was the project I was actually trying to point at.

Hell ya, good to know. Will see what I can find when I get a break at work.
EDIT: gracias for saving me the trouble

1 Like

might want to consider running the pressure checks with nitrogen rather than off of an air compressor.

moisture in the system is not a good thing and if you empty the air from your compressor tank after each use like is recommended then you know how much moisture those things can contain

4 Likes

If you dont have the time to build your own and want to keep that price point, I have used these Inficon pilot gauges in the past with a lot of success. They have a Pirani sensor built in and the KF-16 fitting it comes with can easily be attached to a rig with a kf-tc adapter. I have found these in the past for around $100.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/234487373041?hash=item3698895cf1:g:2JAAAOSwXThhipTv

2 Likes

Would co2 work? I’ve got a tank of that but no nitrogen

You’re definitely correct, and the moisture was evident as I let the air out. It’ll all get taken down and cleaned well before any anything goes into it. She seems to holding vacuum ok as well. Vaccumed both at once then removed hoses. Here she’ll sit till next harvest, no doubt revised a few more times before then. Still need to build the molsieve, and get caps/clamps to rack mount her. So satisfying to see it come together after a year or so or researching and changing my mind a hundred times for valid reasons. Feels real gud!

6 Likes

For pressure testing, sure. not during a run. Argon can be used in a pinch, as can He if the gas company delivers the wrong can (@Dred_pirate ?)…but helium is a non-renewable at the moment, and until we solve that (by smacking H) we should probably not use it to get high (make hash).

7 Likes

Odd tangent, but speaking of helium I somehow found myself reading about cryo compressors yesterday trying to wrap my head around the process for making liquid nitrogen. Such an interesting branch of engineering to try and wrap the mind around

1 Like

Iv seen machines for sale thT make nitrogen? Dont know much about them but they are out there. See a lot in beer industry?

You can make nitrogen gas fairly easily using a standard compressor and a bunch of drying filters combined with a selectively passive membrane. You can do it for not a lot of money too if you find the stuff cheap. Turning that gas into a liquid however, is a little bit more expensive, and as far as I can tell require a sterling heat pump or some other device capable of crazy high heat differential.

2 Likes

I’ve got complete on demand nitrogen systems specifically tailored for the cannabis industry… They’re not cheap. But for a licensed spot… the ROI is quick. Especially when one factors in all the bs associated to rolling heavy ass cylinders around a lab… by under/unqualified people. A strain related owrkers comp injury once a year pays for the genny and then some… A cylinder falling and damaging something important pays for it and then some…

check them out… http://abhoutit.com/n2/

4 Likes

Man that n2 calculator is awesome!!

N2 generator here we come!!

3 Likes

Senor Pickle. I lost your cell. text me tomorrow if you still have mine. wanna get you set up with that other thing we were chatting about.

the ROI calculator… I’ve been trying to build them out for all our product lines… helping people quantify the expense seems to go a long way.

In the old days… I was jumping through so many fucking hoops to get nitro… sometimes driving from sac to the praxair in reno… like 3 hours… over the whole sierra mountain range… each way. so we could spread out our consumption since we were such sketch balls. Then going back into cali through the fucking ag checkpoints(which… tbh… very rarely seem to even inspect any vehicles… But the one time I had to open my enclosed trailer for them with idk… 18-20 T tank nitro botttles laid down into two rows of 5 then 4 on top and diagonally cross strapped… the dude working was like. "sooo. we’re only looking for agricultural commodities to identify invasive species and yada yada… but I’m pretty f’ing sure this is not a normal nor legal way to be transporting any kind of gas. "

6 Likes

Lmao. Trapping brings about the most unsettling anxiety.

This all day.

5 Likes

Hail to the fucking king, baby. Read em and weep. Best lab on the site.

13 Likes