Lenticular filters

Wanted to start a thread for people with lenticular filters to come in and discuss how to be more efficient or problems their experiencing

3 Likes

Is there anything in particular you would like to discuss… I don’t have a lenticular filter but I’d just like to get the ball rolling for you.
Do you have a lenticular filtration setup?
Are you trying to gather information on lenticular filtration because you want to buy one?

2 Likes

The idea was brought up to me to have one. However, do I need one if I do a cold (-40) extraction with ethanol? How mqny passes can I get outta one filter?

Thanks

1 Like

Well those filters can be backflushed to remove some of the stuff that accumulates during filtration.
Even if your extraction was done at -40 can still have dirt/dust particles in your extract and the lent filter will remove those.
Not sure how many uses you would get I’d assume that’s dependent upon what your filtering.

2 Likes

I hear ya… so i could pump from my Cup15 into the filter then out into a vessel for winterization…

2 Likes

Yes you certainly could.

4 Likes

We’ve been using 1 lenticular filter (1 micron) for about 60gallons of 10:1 bho crude. I don’t recommend backflushing as we’ve seen them rip holes easier. I would assume if your extracting at -40 you would be able to get a few 1000 gallons through it.

I was curious what people are using to move around the ethanol.

3 Likes

how curious?

http://future4200.com/search?q=ethanol+pump

11 Likes

Anyone use positive pressure to push the fluid through the lenticular?

Currently were using vacuum on outlet keg to pull tincture through the lenticular housing into the outlet keg, but getting 2/3 gallons stuck.
Can we push air with a Welch pump through the top of the lenticular filter housing to cause that last 2/3 gallons to go into the outlet keg

3 Likes

Do you have compressed air? You could use air or a bottle of nitrogen to move the tincture from the first keg, through the filter housing and into the vented second keg. Just be sure to set the pressure regulator as low as possible. It’s much cheaper than a pump.

2 Likes

We find that it does a great job of filtering out the undesirables.

11 Likes

https://www.rpity.com/bali/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=54925

Is this the same unit you have @Pluto ?
Very attractive price :thinking:

1 Like

Cold EtOH extraction? Generally how many gallons can you get through before needing a cartridge change?

1 Like

Ours is about 3 to 4 times that size.

1 Like

Yup, we can put about 300 gallons of ethanol through before we need to change it out.

3 Likes

Is that a 12" or 16" housing?

16” housing

1 Like

Do ever winterize hydrocarbon crude through it? Or just polish cryo ethanol tincture?

1 Like

Cryo ethanol

Thanks for the post! I’d love to get some information about potential pitfalls/ issues with using lenticular filters for lipid/wax removal during winterization of CO2 oils vs. more traditional buchner/draindroyd/sambocreek filtration methods?

I am in the process of designing a (mostly) closed loop winterization/filtration/solvent recovery system and have little practical experience with using lenticular filters in this application.

Thanks all!

3 Likes