Lenticular filters

I personally think lenticular filters are best for a final polish of dewaxed crude. I like to do a rough cut over silica at room temp on the Sambo or table top then freeze -80 & pass through the 1 micron lenticular.

5 Likes

I am planning for filtration post extraction and prior to rotovap for cyro etoh. I have found that quite a bit of sediment comes through in extraction and would like to filter immediately after to reduce contact and further extraction.

I am sourcing a 12” ventricular filter for single stack 16 cell 1 micron filter. I plan to filter about 30 gallons at a time.

I am also putting a pre-filter in line to the lenticular filter to extend the filter life.

Any recommendations on what the screen size on the pre-filter should be. I will post a photo of the housing. This is a re-useable screen filter.

I was thinking a 25 micron filter size as a pre- filter might work, but what do you think?

I use positive pressure for cold since it renders my pneumatic pump useless. I connected a compressed gas hookup into my air port and push liquid out the dip tube works phenomenally

Agreed on compressed gas. I use compressed air, seems to work welol- you know your done when it starts moving around.

Is it better to use a Sambo or watermark press instead of lenticular filter similar to what @El_Z said? I’ve heard if you use cold extraction, by the time the solution get to the filter, it’s has a lot of wax build up and tend to clog the system. Is that true?

1 Like

@DENEX Which solvent are you extracting with? When are you getting it cold?

The major point with cold solvent extraction is to avoid picking up fats and waxes.

Winterization on the other hand involves getting your solvent (eg EtOH or MeOH) cold so any fats and waxes precipitate and can be filtered out.

The right filter depends on the task at hand.

4 Likes

@cyclopath thanks for the info. We’re planning to do cold extraction but I was told that it’s still better to run it through a pressed filter to make sure any fats and waxes stay behind. I was hoping to skip winterization if I can do cold extraction and then some kind of in-line filtration.

You will absolutely need to filter after cold extraction, but unless you then get your solvent colder, or switch solvents, you are not going to be filtering waxes.

You will be filtering trichome heads and other fine plant debris, and yes, if pressed I will have to agree that spent trichome heads ARE wax…:shushing_face:

they behave more like mud…

2 Likes

I am looking forward to trying this out. I have a pre-filter of 45 microns and lenticular filter is 0.45 microns. Pushing with compressed air. It comes out a bit aggressive with the air, anyone know of a trick to slow the air down, I am planning on going into the bottom of a steel tank top with a lid.

4 Likes

Use a pressure regulator. Is your compressor made for blowing food grade air?

Dental air compressors are an example of what would blow non toxic pressurized air. Or a pneumatically opersted sand piper pump would work too.

3 Likes

How much air pressure are you using?

I see the gauges. Where are your PRVs and what are they set to?

Regulator?

1 Like

I have a filter for sale for anyone that’s interested.

Of you want to exceed performance and clarity the pig filter will kick lenticular ass. Here’s a video of it on action leak free and 8 gallons per min at -80.

Try it. You’ll be pleasantly surprised. We have these units modified and they come with cool carts and drain trays.

Lenticular bar lt keeps up. We posted a video and side by side for that and sambo creek.

I guess we let the video do all the talking.

We’ve been having activated carbon and T5 slip past our 1 micron lenticular filter cartridge. Do they make a smaller micron filter cartridge?

@El_Z, I have had AC pass through 0.2um. I doubt that going smaller will stop that completely.

So how do you fix that so it doesn’t happen & get into a WFE

Multiple passes thru pig with celite sucked into hose to further filtration

Wow, i’ve used those 0.2um cartridges and i’ve never ever seen carbon go through. Are you using 222-style connection?

4 Likes

@El_Z, I use an AC and T5 puck that I filter through. When a puck is built it catches stuff in solution that is smaller than 0.2um (like most water solubles). I had trouble with the same thing myself initially, which steered me away from using AC. Only when I started building pucks was I able to really start playing with adsorbents. Others may have different tricks that work, but this is the only one I know.

@Shadownaught (Carbon Chemistry) are working on Lenticular filter cartridges from what I understand. Nitrogen works well for moving the ethanol and @DeutscheProcess will sell you a variety of pumps with seals made specifically for moving cold ETOH on a bulk scale as well. Carbon Chem’s products all make really nice beds over the cart’s too.

1 Like