Lenticular filter for winterizing

I was just answering your “what do you mean” question, in our application it’s not for winterizing but we use bag filters from Utah Biodiesel for the outlets on our centrifuges and some other places, to make sure we aren’t getting spent material where it shouldn’t be.

2 Likes

What housing do you run with those bags?

We don’t have a specific housing for them, we just put them in an opening to a tank that is the right diameter to let the bag thru but not the retaining ring

2 Likes

I run my room temp through a 10 micron coffee filyer on top of a 3 micron for the belart. Does 5 gallon in 30mins or less then i switch out the coffee filyer and do it all over agian. I only use vacuum

Hello Gumby,
I noticed we were referenced in the chain above so wanted to weigh in as well. Its true if you use a fine lenticular module as your first line of filtration with a heavy dirt load, its not going last long. How long a filter last is directly tied to the amount of your dirt load, especially at the micron rating of the filter. As well as the filtration area of the filter your using and the efficiency of the filter your using. If anyone tells you how long a filter will last they are either guessing or bases how long your filter will last based on someone else’s filter experience with that companies product which likely is different from your product. We have found that using a bag filter you can either extend the life of the particulate rated lenticular filter or replace all together if you use a step down approach to using bags. If you find that you don’t get the life your looking for (being able to keep a filter for the whole batch) then using a step approach is best. Something like going from 25um - 10um -1um. Then into your carbon lenticular module. You don’t want your carbon filter filtering. They tend to be more expensive than standard lenticular’s (and certainly more than the bags) and they are being used for a specific purpose. In this case to do color adjustment. So the idea is to protect the most expensive filter in the filtration chain. Thank you, Greg Heyes Filters/310-212-7777

4 Likes

Hows the carbon working out? also why pull vs push on the carbon?

You always want to push through a lenticular or cartridge filter. You need to be able to overcome the pressure differential between the inlet of the filter and the outlet of the filter. Assuming both your source and destination are at atmosphere (i.e. neither your source nor destination tanks are under pressure or vacuum) your starting differential pressure should be close to 0. 0 psi at the inlet before the filter, and 0 psi at the outlet after the filter.

The pressure differential will increase as you progress. The inlet pressure rises while the outlet pressure remains same. This should make sense intuitively. The filter is getting clogged, so it requires more pressure to overcome it. Most lenticular and cartridge filters have a max differential pressure rating, and it’s usually around 35 psid. That’s the point at which the module is considered fully clogged, and it’s time to swap it out for a fresh one.

If you’re pulling vacuum, the most you can hope to achieve is about 15 psi. You’re losing out on over half the filter’s expected life, and potentially leaving some materials behind in the filter. So while you can pull through a lenticular or cartridge filter, it’s usually better to push.

Given that the primary purpose of carbon filtration is usually color/odor removal, it’s not as critical for carbon scrubbing. Still, I talk to a lot of guys who assume they should be pulling through filters because that’s how they’re used to doing it with Buchner funnels.

2 Likes

if you guys looking for lenticular housing for oil purification, pls email us roypxc@163.com.
We are a local sanitary filter housing and stainless steel equipment manufacturer in zhejiang province of China and we’ve export lot of lenticular housing to the North American market for wine and CBD extraction. :grinning:

You can put a little bit of media on top of your filter paper (such a silica and activated alumina) it will help with keeping tears from occurring in your filter paper and it will also help with better winterization results. Your funnel looks like it’s a usalab funnel that they are selling and if it is, it’s rated at 90 PSI and you can rest assured that you can push it much further than you are currently but if it’s still running really slow it wouldn’t hurt to run some vacuum on the other side at the same time

We too have both the lenticular hardware (filter housing) and modules in stock. Difference being we have them in Torrance CA, let us know if we can help, thank you, gregh@heesfilters.com

A handy trick to significantly reduce filter consumption:

While your ethanol centrifuge is running a spin cycle, recirculate your unfiltered solution through it before filtering. It acts as a particulate filter and and will drastically reduce the load on consumable filter cartridges. This is especially helpful with milled material that clogs filters quickly, but also helps immensely with winterization.

2 Likes