Lenticular filter for winterizing

That’s not true. We sell it at MSRP or less depending on promotion. We also have it modified and upgraded with plenty of features.

You incorporated a drip tray instead of altering the design to stop the leaks from happening in the first place.

The very minor tweaks you made dont merit the $5000 mark up and you’re not going to convince me your product is worth the money.

4 Likes

What do you mean by bag filter? Like a sock filter or something similar?

Honestly I’ve heard nothing but bad things about pig filters and to stay away from them. Summit or another manufacturer

2 Likes

Don’t know what @MagisterChemist was referring to but I’ve bought several of them here: Bag Filters / Sock Filters / Water Sock Filters / WVO Filters / Oil Filters / SVO Filters - 1, 5, 10, 25, 50, 75, 100, 200, 400, 600 Micron / Size 1, 2, or 3 Sock Filters- Utah Biodiesel Supply

3 Likes

Yes, sock filters and bag filters are the same thing.

2 Likes

Ive used the one from summit, and others. done correctly, and with the right micron papers, plate filters work awesome, been running them for awhile.

Could he use nitrogen instead of air compression

1 Like

inerts are best for safety, but any gas should do.

1 Like

We push winterized, -40C, tincture through Scott lenticular filter w/ N2. Next day we diaphragm vacuum suck warm, +40C, tincture through Scott carbon lenticular filter. 15 gallons in maybe 5 minutes.

6 Likes

I just hear they leak bad from every person that’s owned one

So you don’t use your lenticular for the initial winterization? Just post?

They’re more like 50gal batch sizes, more preferably.
I was just using 10gal as a reference point since that’s all I can really filter at a time with the size of my Büchner

We have a ertelsop lenticular 15um-1um and carbon cartridges at two microns. they’ll work but they clog faster then ALL COMPANIES will advertise (heyes/ertelsop/Harrington/3m/scotts) all brands that sell lenticulars. we now use the lenticular ONLY for carbon filtering; and now use 3 sock filters that are 30" tall 6" diameter. plumb the 3 sock filters together followed by the lenticular last. we have it plumbed so every (FILL) into our delta centrifuge (12-15gals) spins, then empties through the 3 sock filters followed by carbon filter last; every bag gets filtered post spin. running subzero ethanol -40c. 500lbs 8hr shift completely winterized/carbon filtered lenticulars are better for final/very specific micron filtering; if theres a wide range 5-25um they’ll clog super fast

1 Like

when I say 15um-1um its every micron cartridge they sell, we have all inbetween. and by two carbon microns I mean we have a 10micron carbon cartridge and a 1micron carbon cartridge (we only use the 1micron)

1 Like

We do below -40C, 200 Ethanol Delta Extraction, then even colder lenticular filtration. Leave overnight to absorb heat. Next day we immersion heat the tincture to carbon scrub.
The filter medium does shed fibers and carbon, but we put the winterized and scrubbed tincture through Summit hochstroms before solvent recovery.

2 Likes

immersion heat??? :roll_eyes::dizzy_face:

like you are putting a heating coil directly into your ethanol?

:timer_clock::bomb:

if so I would acquire a jacketed tank soon and cut that sketchiness out with a quickness.

2 Likes

The coil is set to 40 C below Etoh b.p. Sat next to an extraction vent. Thanks for the concern, though. It’s the knuckle-heads below us doing the hydrocarbon extraction that I worry about!

1 Like

To be fair, leaking has always been a disadvantage of plate & frame filters in general. Not just the versions currently being marketed for cannabis extract filtration. This style of filter has been used for over 100 years in other industries. The main difference is that product loss is not as big a deal in other industries as it is in this one.

Lenticular filtration is just a redesigned version of plate & frame filtration designed to do the same thing using the same media (DE, cellulose, carbon, etc.) but in a fully sealed container without dripping. Obviously lenticular media costs more than sheets, but loading and unloading the sheets requires more manual labor, there’s more potential for product loss through dripping, and the sheets are single use, whereas lenticular modules can be reused (though not to the same degree as cartridge filters). In fact, most sheet filter manufacturers use exactly the same sheet media in their sheets that they do in their lenticular modules, just cut to fit differently.

5 Likes

Were you referring that link because I should line my current Büchner with that? Or should I get something like this bag filter and use the bags you posted the link to? Thanks PRM #4 304 Stainless Steel Bag Filter Housing, NPT Inlet, Side and Bottom Dual Port Outlet-150 PSI