LED vs DLI315's

So I have been growing for a long while under traditional HPS single end and DE style lamps. Being licensed in Cali brings in another aspect into the equation with utilities cost and having fire inspectors looking at UL certs. I have been doing some research for a while into the different types/brands of LED luminaries. I had the opportunity to tour a large facility in Washington(60k sqft) that was running fluence spyders over Aescense aeroponic units. I ended up deciding on two companies that were not big names but had quality units that could compete with a DE setup. So I decided to go with the company that would work with me on developing something past the base model that they retail. I also wanted to test the DLI315 units that are very efficient and are producing great results.
Fast forward to the test grow in a 13W x 20L x 10H room with 5T of AC. The AC was left over from the previous grow that was a 12k DE setup. I went with four 4x8 trays split into twos. Two trays have four 850w LED’s and two trays will have eight DLI315 lamps over them. Two of the LED’s have white heavy with blue color supplement bars and the other red heavy supplements bars(I am already leaning towards the red heavy luminars). Trays are lined with smart pot 4x8 tray liners with lava rocks in the tray canals for drainage. I usually run 60/40, coco/perlite with a recirculating drip system. For this test I decided to mix in 50% ocean forest for a little buffer of protection. I am also running a powder stand alone nutrient line in an effort to cut down as much overhead as possible. This room will be hand fed in order to keep an eye on any over/under feeding or nutrient deficiencies. Eventually it will fed by a dosatron system to cut down the work load. There are also a few different gadget’s I am testing out to make this room completely automated and remote controllable as the LED’s come with a fancy app to control every aspect of the luminary. The 5T AC unit in the middle will be swaped out after this run and a 3T will be installed in the right corner where I have the brackets hung. I will update the thread tomorrow with pics of the trays planted. If there are any LED top dogs please feel free to chime in.

14 Likes

Your setup looks sweet man. I’ve been using LED’s since the second generation of California light works lights ±10years. I recently got some solar system 1100’s I plan to use in a similar bed system to yours except organic no til. Good luck man, I’ve had a great experience with LED’s.

3 Likes

Nice test setup, looking forward to this.

1 Like

very nice :+1: i grow pretty similar in my beds. hp promix and fox farm with some live red wigglers. i recommend a dosmatic instead of a dosatron. They work great and there half the cost

4 Likes

damnit don’t know why that pic is fucked?

2 Likes

7 Likes

Interesting doser. Is it a hammer system?

1 Like

Have you looked into adjustawing hellion yet. Seen ppl have great results.

https://instagram.com/adjustawings420?igshid=p9era7w0djaa

2 Likes

honestly not sure. it has an adjustable piston on the inside and is powered by the water pressure going into it. They work great.

1 Like

I haven’t but I will look them up. For the last 20yrs I been running the same set up. The only thing I changed was plastic pots for smart pots and magnum xxl reflectors for alluminum.

20k with 10T of ac.

11 Likes

Id go with the vypr style LED lights and getting rolling tables, so u can bring the whole canopy together.
If u have some extra dough. Id do 1 hps per (4x8) table, and 3 vyprs dimmed to 50%.
Thats about 2kw per table (normal) but ur gonna have some awesome light spectrums.
If u wanna go even crazier, do 1hps in the middle, 2 vyprs dimmed to 66%, and a spydrx plus dimmed to 50% with extension cables and lined them up on the walls as side lighting. Your at about 2.1kw per 4x8 table but will for sure yield 5lbs+ out of her

4 Likes

I been running de fixtures and oxypot system since epap and gavida were the only game in town. Not sure how long thats been. I tried the gc 315 and 630 fixtures and wasnt impressed. Then i tried the gc 1k de chm and wasnt impressed. But the led and chm tek has come along way. I was thinking of giving the hellion a try

1 Like

That’s the plan for the retrofit but in not sure if I’m going LED or 315. I already gutted the room adjacent to that one so I can slide the tables in.

2 Likes

Damn they look sweet. I might have to get a couple and try them out.

1 Like

Something is supposed to be special about the wing coating to provide beter reflection then the typical reflection that most fixtures have

I ran light tests with everything but LEDs. my buddy just switched to spyders and seems to be liking them. For 315s to keep up to DEs i needed to run 3 to 4 of them compared to one DE. when it comes time to change bulbs there are that many more to change and can get extra pricey. I use 315 for some supplemental lights in between the DEs. Have you seen the bli 315? they have a deep red led around the rim of the light. a little bit of both worlds.

2 Likes

Those are the units I went with for this test.

2 Likes

Dimlux for the win. Best DE out there

7 Likes

i am blowing it with the photos tonight.ignore that top one. how come we can’t delete photos anymore?

1 Like

that table hit 3.5 in 8 weeks with a 4 day veg. Those lights are the best there is in my opinion. there are 9 it that room and i run no ac just fresh air in and old air out. they run pretty cool for DEs

1 Like