Large scale seed removal - do I need it?

It’s been my experience that when extracting from seeded cured nugs, the yield seems to be less . I always assumed that was due to the seeds . Right or wrong ?

So I need to figure out the most effective way to remove seeds from dry cured material
Any ideas ?
Thanks

Here’s another link right from the above thread that may be helpful:

3 Likes

If you mean the yield is less by weight, it’s because of the weight of the seeds.

If you want to learn seed removal, the zig zag pictured above is a good final step to remove the last plant material. The steps prior to that are dry, crush, sift, and then toss up and down in an angled box. The seeds roll to the bottom. Gravity separation works by density. The entry level seed separator machine is the clipper office tester and it goes for about $3k last I looked, but you can do it by hand with patience.

1 Like

When plants make seeds, they may also produce less thc. For extractors it may lower yields.

Doubt you are running ethanol, but when we ran (other farms) seeded hemp in a large ethanol vessel, seeds didn’t matter. They even float to the top during washes. Somebody is prolly collecting them, or maybe did in the earlier seasons.

3 Likes

Yeah in my younger days I had many an encounter with the now nearly extinct and mythical Mexican Brick Weed. I know how to de-seed with a shoebox lid. I was just tapping the think tank for any cutting-edge tek that might have slipped by my knowhow …lol

YMMV but we’ve had batches of hemp come in for extraction that were 40% seeds by weight. On a toll arrangement that’s 40 cents out of every dollar that gets the customer fuck-all back in oil.

I’ve talked to a few local businesses here in CO that had hemp sorting/processing lines which said they could take debucked hemp, grind it to a specific profile size and sort out the seeds and stalks, but they usually wanted something around the .40-.60/lb price point for that service. And I can’t blame them for trying to get that but at the current market prices of hemp and the derivatives from extracting it I didn’t have any customers who could justify spending that kind of money on sorting out seeds and stalks just to save some fraction of costs on extraction. The 40% by weight seed material would not be at all economical to extract in todays market, but this was early on when crude was still going for over $1000/kg.

Wish there was a cost effective way to do this that could scale for a company processing 1000-2000 lbs/day, because the seed sorter powered by a shop vac ain’t it.

I used a clipper because it was what I could afford. But it took me about two weeks to run 250 pounds of material. The same company makes seed cleaners in all sizes. Seed cleaners used to be on every farm before hybrid seed took over.

Here are a few bigger ones for sale

I noticed on ebay that someone now has a knockoff clipper for sale…also grades cum, apparently.

2 Likes