Lab cookery

Who says working in a lab has to be dull or sentence you to boring sack lunches??

Hee, hee, hee, check out my threads on building a mobile test sled and using it for cooking food stuff under vacuum and sous vide using aluminum beads.

Here is the test sled: GrayWolfsLair

The Sous Vide cookery with aluminum beads: 18.1 Sous Vide cooking with aluminum beads (graywolfslair.com)

Making food concentrates using vacuum: 18.3 Produce food concentrates extracting and boiling at low temperatures under vacuum - GrayWolf's Lair

Stay tuned for more to come.

23 Likes

Last link fixed.

2 Likes

I sous vided some steaks a couple of times with a 5 gallon bucket, large magnetic stirrer, immersion heater and a controller. They turned out perfect! Cooked to medium rare and then finished with a map gas torch.

7 Likes

If I caught someone cooking food in my cannabis lab we would have problems. Problems getting the spoon removed from said offenders throat. No warnings, just gone. We do not need food issues and bacteria in a hash lab. Now if you are in a licensed kitchen that is obviously a different story. Sometimes we too cook with lab equipment, just not in a licensed cannabis production lab.

3 Likes

Do you not have a break room?

4 Likes

How about a nice Creme Brulee?

I mean, if you used a sous vide to cook a steak it is
A) a higher temperature than recovering hydrocarbons so it’s probably after work or something
And
B) it is in a vac seal bag. Nothin going to leak into the lab area.
And
C) it’s fire, cooked to perfection

4 Likes

Add Egg Bites: 18.1.2 Egg Bites - GrayWolf's Lair

2 Likes

@Graywolf I’ve been thinking of making some fresh tomato sauce and removing the excess water via rotovap rather than on the stove with high heat. Have you ever attempted or considered such a thing?

According to this, it may turn out well:

Decrease in Fresh Flavor

Fresh tomato flavor is derived from volatile compounds—specifically, C-3-Hexenal and Z-3-Hexenal. Heat increases their volatility. During heating, these compounds escape into the atmosphere, creating the wonderful tomato aroma that fills a kitchen when there’s a simmering sauce pot. Unfortunately, this also results in a corresponding flavor loss in the sauce.

Both heating time and temperature affect flavor loss, but in different amounts. The relationship between heating time and flavor loss is arithmetic. For example, given the same temperature, a 10% increase in heating time will result in a 10% increase in the amount of flavor loss. However, the relationship between temperature and flavor loss is logarithmic. Specifically, for each 18°F (or 10°C) increase in cooking temperature, the rate of flavor loss doubles! So, given the same amount of time, sauce that’s cooked at 198°F will lose twice as much flavor as sauce cooked at 180°F, which will lose twice as much flavor as sauce that’s cooked at 162°.

2 Likes