Know your friends (Orius Insidiosus)

Hello again everyone, this will be a quick break from the Know your enemy series but in keeping with the theme we’ve established thus far, we will start talking about the friends that you might introduce, or stumble upon, in your gardens.

This entry will be about Orius Insidiosus or more commonly known as the Insidious Flower Bug.

Biology:
Orius insidiosus has multiple generations per year. The total developmental time from egg to adult is approximately three weeks. Adult females lay their eggs within plant tissues, and eggs hatch in six to ten day. Orius insidiosus undergoes incomplete metamorphosis, (meaning that the insect hatches from an egg and goes through several nymphal stages which each resembling the adult and getting larger in size) and nymphs develop through five instars. Development of the nymph requires at least ten days, depending on temperature . Adults live for approximately three to four weeks. . Nymphs and adults are highly mobile. When day length is less than 14 hours, adults may enter a resting state, although this is somewhat disputed and most likely depends on other environmental factors as well.

Adults are very small (3 mm long), somewhat oval-shaped, and black with white wing patches. Wings extend beyond the the tip of the body. Nymphs are small, wingless insects, yellow-orange to brown in color, teardrop-shaped and fast moving. Both adults and nymphs feed by sucking juices from their prey through a sharp, needle-like beak (the rostrum), which is characteristic of all Heteroptera (true bugs) and is actually somewhat disturbing to witness first hand ngl.

Orius will spread very quickly from the point of release and will be quite difficult to find again once they have dispersed. Checking areas of high populations of Western Flower Thrip will often reveal small groups of Orius developing in their immediate area, and if multiple nymphal stages are present that is an excellent indicator of population health.

Orius will attack a wide variety of pest insects and is considered a generalist predator. Two Spotted Spider Mite, aphid, whitefly, scale insects, moth larvae, and many eggs of various species have all demonstrated to be adequate Orius food sources however it has shown a vast preference for Western Flower Thrip and that is its principle use as a Biological Control Agent. When feeding on its prey, it introduces a paralytic toxin into their bodies that holds them still while they are consumed. They will also bite you as well if given the opportunity and its pretty noticeable when it happens.

Populations of Orius can be perpetuated in your grow with a few methods. You can provide an alternative food source for them in the form of Ephestia Eggs, which are sold under various brand names by manufacturers (Try "Bug Food-E) as well as Brine Shrimp eggs which are gaining popularity.

You can also add banker plants to your grow to provide them a source of pollen to feed on in the absence of prey. There are several species of plant that can support them in this way, but the most popular and effective that I have found are ornamental peppers; specifically the “Purple Flash” variety.

Do any of you use Orius Insidiosus in your grows? What has your experience been like with them? Does anyone have requests for information about specific beneficials? I have had a fair amount of experience with a wide variety of the most commonly used beneficials and several “Volunteer” species that have come into my greenhouses and been convinced to stick around.

14 Likes

Merci @Gregory, can you tell me the other volunteer species ?

@Gregory… Thank you again for sharing… Has anyone used these with success to battle mites?

Thoughts on lady bugs vs predator mites?

I prefer lady bugs when time arises as they’re not selective to the eating dietary of just larva or adults they don’t discriminate they go savage on all other bugs basically that are intruding or not well for the ecosystem they’re occupying. The lady bugs as long as fed well & kept in ambient room temp they can live up to 2 years, plus if they do die on the plant you can easily remove them.

The only other insect I would purposely introduce is a army of mantises. Turn on super high definition cctv with zoom in & watch the terror :smirk::facepunch:t3::joy:

i would have to disagree, lady bugs nor praying mantises will eat spider mites or russet/broad mites (imo the worse bugs to get). Only predator mites will fight those. I like cucumeris and andersoni

1 Like

Ahhh the infamous spider mites I’ve seen them be taken care of by a single application of lady bugs, I’ve also seen predator mites do nothing but infest the roots along side others. In my experience predator mites only go for larva so you have to play keep up the entire time if you don’t get ahead of the battle. Plus you can’t get every single one of those little battle scenes cleaned up or eggs out of the mass.

I do agree they work but only in early stages. Cucumeris is the better of the two in my opinion.

I know lots of growers whom tried lady bugs but due to their veg fluxing to much the lady bugs would always become stressed & either die off or eat the plants. Gotta keep em happy to keep them eating the problem chitlins

Sure man. By ‘Volunteers’ I mean predator insects that have taken up residence in my greenhouse without being purposefully introduced, and so far I’ve identified Hunter Flies (Coenisia Attenuata), a predatory fly that feeds on pretty much any flying pest but i think arrived originally due to a whitefly outbreak (first and only time I’ve dealt with them on cannabis oddly enough) as well as Damsel Bugs ( Family: Nabidae) which are related to Assassin bugs and live within the canopy and feed on a wide variety of soft bodied insects. I first identified those when I saw them stalking across the top of my pots eating root aphids at the height of our problems with them.

I’ve also accidently naturalized Rove Beetles in my greenhouse after discontinuing my breeding initiative for them, turned out to be more successful than I had thought!

3 Likes

I wouldn’t rely on Orius to control mites, they’re primarily a predator of Western Flower Thrip although they will eat mite eggs as well if convenient. For Spider mites I would rely on Amblyseius Andersoni and/or Phytoseilius Persimilis, but depending on the severity I would treat the problem with chemicals first.

2 Likes

I love ladybugs, especially seeing the ladybug larvae at work is true glimpse into the wierdness and brutality of nature! The only problem I have with ladybugs is they tend to disperse rapidly, especially if you release a bunch of them at once. When I was taking the master gardener course a few years ago the woman teaching the entymology portion put it best “Releasing ladybugs on your plants is a great thing to do for your neighbors gardens…” but its hard to argue with the results when they do put in the work. I like the idea of the ladybug boxes your article talks about, I’ve never tried it but that might be just the ticket to convince them to stay around and get a population going.

Ladybug larvae eating aphids

3 Likes

This right here :pray:t3::pray:t3:

There’s always a way to make an ecosystem, happy, just have to pay attention to what it’s showing/ asking of you.

But yes! Lady bugs have been my go to if & when I need to have tiny soldiers in the garden (if not running living soil already). Their diet is one of the only that will fully headed take on the entire sub population, not just eggs & small young, or just teens, or just adults. Plus who doesn’t love a sick picture of a lady big on the plant

pic cred to google

2 Likes

Woah it’s like a panzerzurg!

I understand that this is an old thread…I just don’t like to start a new thread when an old one can suffice

Friend or Foe?

I was checking on a few teeners that I top dressed a couple of days ago to make sure some of my pet fungus gnats hadn’t invaded and needed to be dealt with.

I have run into little buggers like these before, but never in any quantity. They never, in the past, have manifested into anything that caused a problem. I have never seen them in numbers like these

With that being said…what the phuck are they??.

You can see them readily with the naked eye and they are fast moving.

Root aphids?

3 Likes

Look like root aphids to me…

2 Likes

You got me…these guys were scampering around pretty much on top of the soil. I have seen a couple here and there in the past but only in the 4 inch starter pots. They always in the past have just disappeared.

My microscope/camera has a pretty bright light on it so the color of these varmits is not what it looks like in the video. The are sorta brownish looking

And the only good varmint poontang is dead varmint poontang, I think.

Those are definitely root aphids

1 Like

Treatment…spinosad soil drench???

Welcome to my current nightmare

Spinosad, pyganic 5% , og biowar

Root Drench with all 3, 1 a day. I’ve been told to do this once a week for the foreseeable future. Where you at @johnychaos?

take cuts of all your mothers and throw everything else away once cuts are established

3 Likes