Just Lost (Need a walkthrough for a solventless process)

https://www.instagram.com/lowtemp.plates/

There’s also hella groups on Facebook for rosin pressing. I’m a member of like 3 or 4. Tons of information specific to pressing. Most things done over here are solvent related, and I haven’t seen much in the way of solventless processing

1 Like

I keep trying to understand the point of making rosin from bubble hash. Dabbing? Is that it? I don’t know why one wouldn’t just smoke the hash.

5 Likes

What’s even crazier is how many people want to start a solventless business. Live hash rosin made with fire material is super enjoyable to dab if you’ve never tried it. However, theres a shit ton of uneducated people who wanna dive into the solventless market and think because they have some decent trim or buds they can wash it and press it then profit. Rosin is the epitome of the old adage “Fire in, fire out” Fire buds are needed to make fire hash, which is needed for fire rosin. The yields are so low it needs to be sold around $30-$50 a g wholesale to even make a little money. Meanwhile good quality sauce/diamonds can be had for less than half the price. The fact that it comes in contact with butane scares the ignorant.

7 Likes

I’ve seen fire rosin. I’ve also seen a bunch of ‘meh’ rosin that yielded poorly. I think if you’re not on top of quality, it might not be the product or market for you.

3 Likes

The Glossary / Ideas and chat

Not complete by any stretch of the imagination, but should get you started.

Using the search function here should help sort out some of the others.

2 Likes

Speaking of not knowing any better than to want to get into the solvent less biz, I have been playing around with cbd bubble hash. It smokes super smooth, but the guy who owns my local lab told me that most bubble hash has too high of a mold content to be desireable. I have not sent any in yet for the full panel test. He said there is no available remediation for the bubble hash once it tests high for mold.

2 Likes

All true.

Although just about any extraction on failed bubble hash will pass. Ask him if they distinguish benign critters like botrytis or powdery mildew from actual problems like aspergillus

3 Likes

A decarb temperature would kill any mold spore. Would that affect test results? (Thanks for the help)

1 Like

depends if they culture or do PCR. PCR is faster, but may not distinguish between live spores and dead ones.

4 Likes

Mycotoxin would be the concern but generally you could pasteurize the material without substantially altering it.

Usually you can request plate count vs PCR, it is the gold standard for microbial and much less fallible than all but the best developed PCR/qPCR methods

1 Like

@Thedawg hit the nail. I press flower because I am not at the disposal of extra revenue for a freeze dryer, but I enjoy being able to make my own tinctures and carts from my rosin. I average around 15-18% yields from my starting material. The rosin crude averages around 50-70% TCs. So @eeerock nailed it on the fire in fire out.

1 Like

I know I can taste PM spores in EtOH or Butane extracts, and can filter that taste gone at 0.2um. Just pasteurizing would not be my go to.

As far as mycotoxins, it’s aspergillus that is the big issue. I don’t believe ethanolic extracts of PM or Botrytis (wine) have been implicated in any health issues, but I certainly can’t point at hydrocarbon data.

2 Likes

So filter sterilization is awesome and 0.1 um will certainly remove all of the spores/living microbes. In fact, filtering at 0.1 um is sufficient for sterile drugs for injection usually.

What I was speaking to primarily was material which does not have any real indications of mold in terms of flavor or toxins but still is near or above the regulatory limit (which in some jurisdictions can be quite low). Baking your hash will not make it taste less moldy or keep it from making you sick if you got the wrong kind of wee beasties. Filtering will also not solve the mycotoxin issue but there are other remediation options

2 Likes

Figure out how to hash ur flowers.
Either bubble hash or by dry tumbling.
Then premold, wrap in coffe filter. Chemex brand.
Wrap that in stainless steel mesh and press with a 20 ton press.
U can mold and prewrap all the pucks before u press

This is totally a beginners forum, you just must be a persistent beginner

5 Likes

Are you isolating the bubble at each micron, 70/90/120, or are you doing a mass pull i.e 149-45 and removing the in-between bags?

I started with all 5 bags, but it does not seem worth the effort. I have been using just the smallest and largest micron bags.

For my regular rosin approach I usually do the bulk grab using just the 149-40 (ICExtract bags). I’m considering doing a lil test run with some whole plant fresh frozen lifter just to see if its something worthwhile. Confident that its not scaleable but interested in the outcome. Any exp with wpff hemp?

Are the icextract bags worth the money? They look like a good company.