Just Lost (Need a walkthrough for a solventless process)

I am posting in the correct place and that’s about it… lol I want to do some personal runs of solventless something… I have material that is either close trim or lower buds that where premature and unsuitable for smoking. I want to try an understand at least one method that starts here and goes to completion… I am however, not getting the full picture and am just missing some core understanding. I feel as though all of you have been in school for this for years and it’s my first day. Any help thats spelled out would be very appreciated. Procedures that are doable by someone with a vacuum pump, harbor freight 20 ton press, and 4x6 heat plates from amazon… I know that my equipment is definitely lacking and crude but I should be able to accomplish something no? I am open to purchasing what I need but I need to do it with a budget in mind. I have heard/read through lots of this site and tried to piece together some processes but never completed the how to from the pieces I’ve found, if you will… Regardless of my ignorance I believe that I want to try an make hash from my trim/bud and then press that. Anyone have any pointers towards reading material that can put it altogether for me or a short how to that would include required equipment and or materials… I think everyone is over my head, where do I start? I have tried smashing just bud at this point nothing has come out very nice… Lots of pressure at around 200F for about a minute and 10 seconds… 2.5gram pucks made with a pollen press on wax paper. Only produced about a .1 per press and it wasn’t very good… Please help anyone, I know I can do better with what I have already my process is shiat!!!

1 Like

Watch this

6 Likes

low potency material doesn’t squish well
(squishing trim & premature buds is unlikely to get you very far ).

moisture content is critical

kief gives the best yields.

I’ve seen rosin produced commercially using a hair straightener on freeze dried kief.

4 Likes

you fed your process with 10% cannabinoid material, and got about 1/2 of it.

if you feed it with the right 25% material you’ll get more than that. Feed it with decent dry sift and you will do much better.

5 Likes

I couldn’t agree more. 60 years old and would love to simply understand the acronyms. ANY TUTORIALS OR READING, etc. would be so greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2 Likes

Nikka t with essential extracts is a good beacon for bubble hash to rosin stuff.

2 Likes

There’s the information here, but honestly guys, this is not a beginners forum.

Most times people are going to say search, and I understand that you may have already, but explaining elementary terms really isn’t that fun to do. That’s just my opinion.

8 Likes

FYI The people who post their pressing results on YouTube are only showing their best to impress the masses. Here’s a good place to start reading. PSI Calculation = 12-ton Hydraulic Rosin Press with Dabpress Hand Pump – DABPRESS

The 20 ton jack is way way way over kill for pressing. Pure Presser’s Pikes Peak is only a 8 ton press. My suggestion is to replace the 20 ton for a 12 ton Jack and go by Dab Press’s calculations and you will be fine.

I know what Dab Press suggest’s as far as time’s and temp’s however that has been updated. We now use less heat and longer press times. I use the same temp for both hash and flower however for hash I use about half the pressure and I press for 90 seconds. For flower I use the bottle tech method for loading flower and I heat my press up to 165 degree’s and I press for 4 minutes and 30 seconds. I first bring the plates down till it starts to wrinkle the bag then I wait 30 seconds then I give that jack 3 more pumps wait 30 seconds. I want to be at full pressure buy 2 minutes and 45 seconds.

4 Likes

Thanks for the helpful responses, I appreciate them very much. As for the complaint about asking for help… Really…? Anyway, thanks for the finger points I have watched up on the you tube fellow and read the other suggestions… All good help, many thanks…

Ordered the bubble bag dude 20 gal bags and made a home aid washer, so hash first then I’ll smash that through a 25 micron press bag with light pressure in the 20 tonner… I’m thinking like the above poster said he did his… 165 for about 90 seconds and see what happens. Adjust from there.

Anyone have any helpful input on this new method derived here before I give it a go?

2 Likes

I know it’s a slight investment but a major fork in the rd in quality, or in the pursuit of higher quality, is the need for a freeze dryer. It ll prevent oxidation and preserve the sensitive terps that could be lost through traditional drying or “desiccation.” As far as the press I’d suggest looking into blow out prevention, “bulletproof tek.” Putting your dried bubble into a 37u or 25u and then fitting that into a 220u or 160u filter bag. This will allow the heads to expand and prevent that expansion from blowing out the lower micron bags. Low temp plates is an awesome source for info through his website or via his instagram.

3 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/lowtemp.plates/

There’s also hella groups on Facebook for rosin pressing. I’m a member of like 3 or 4. Tons of information specific to pressing. Most things done over here are solvent related, and I haven’t seen much in the way of solventless processing

1 Like

I keep trying to understand the point of making rosin from bubble hash. Dabbing? Is that it? I don’t know why one wouldn’t just smoke the hash.

5 Likes

What’s even crazier is how many people want to start a solventless business. Live hash rosin made with fire material is super enjoyable to dab if you’ve never tried it. However, theres a shit ton of uneducated people who wanna dive into the solventless market and think because they have some decent trim or buds they can wash it and press it then profit. Rosin is the epitome of the old adage “Fire in, fire out” Fire buds are needed to make fire hash, which is needed for fire rosin. The yields are so low it needs to be sold around $30-$50 a g wholesale to even make a little money. Meanwhile good quality sauce/diamonds can be had for less than half the price. The fact that it comes in contact with butane scares the ignorant.

7 Likes

I’ve seen fire rosin. I’ve also seen a bunch of ‘meh’ rosin that yielded poorly. I think if you’re not on top of quality, it might not be the product or market for you.

3 Likes

The Glossary / Ideas and chat

Not complete by any stretch of the imagination, but should get you started.

Using the search function here should help sort out some of the others.

2 Likes

Speaking of not knowing any better than to want to get into the solvent less biz, I have been playing around with cbd bubble hash. It smokes super smooth, but the guy who owns my local lab told me that most bubble hash has too high of a mold content to be desireable. I have not sent any in yet for the full panel test. He said there is no available remediation for the bubble hash once it tests high for mold.

2 Likes

All true.

Although just about any extraction on failed bubble hash will pass. Ask him if they distinguish benign critters like botrytis or powdery mildew from actual problems like aspergillus

3 Likes

A decarb temperature would kill any mold spore. Would that affect test results? (Thanks for the help)

1 Like

depends if they culture or do PCR. PCR is faster, but may not distinguish between live spores and dead ones.

4 Likes