Jacketed column.... jackets? Wraps? WTF, idk

Finishing install and PSI inspection on our new system. We had a temporary and it turns out Oregon has a lot of fuggin humidity. Making our C1D1 a swimming pool.

The columns are vacuum jacketed, sorta so-so solution, but we still get mad condensation. Also have some portions would like to cover. I have used the silver insulation, it works for some things. Don’t really need that, need to reduce the sweating.

I’m pretty sure nice thermal column wraps exist but I can’t ask for something I don’t know the damn name of.

I have a mental picture of my column in a puffy jacket with a nice absorbent interior. Now he’s sledding… living his best sweat-free life.

Anyways, you gots any good words on this? I’m going back to the dabs. See if that helps me think of correct terminology :exploding_head:

3 Likes

there are company’s who make insulation jackets for cold water hash, you might start there. Other than that vacuum jacketed is the way to go for insulation.

1 Like

thx, been web surfing and not finding anything useful.

Might have to get crafty and make some “knitted caps” for the tops and bottoms to soak up the water and add some insulation on the non-jacketed portions. A couple sets so they can be swapped and dried daily. I guess a towel would work but… bleh, so not elegant.

1 Like

:octopus::face_with_hand_over_mouth::relaxed: Awwwwweee

Someone that makes custom wetsuits or does wetsuit alterations near you could make custom covers out of say 7mm neoprene. That would probably stop the condensation.

For straight sections and industrial supply like graiger or mcmaster sell insulation for large pipe.

5 Likes

Check out the insulation used on the BZB butane extractors.

Really impressive, no frost build up after days. Dunno what it’s called, looks like a rigid plastic on the exterior.

4 Likes

Put some buckets under your columns at the end of the day

7 Likes

I presume a floor with drain is not an option?

Plumbed to drain outside?

1 Like

the column stays just like that. Ice on top and bottom, sweats down to the floor during recovery.

Cant have a floor drain in a C1D1 room. Gas settles down into the drain waiting to go poof.

3 Likes

Lot better than the unjacketed version, no? The ice covers 6x48 in of column then, not just the top and bottom.
Can’t defeat all the ice.

Get some Pig Matting. Works pretty well for minor machine sweating. Nothing crazy pooling up though: Either get a drip tray, or get use to sponge mopping.

Use to use the legs back in the day as dry ice sleeves, snug on the bottom open on the top.

1 Like

Check supplyhouse for k flex insulation. Best prices i found. Helped with condensation for us.

1 Like

Whatever insulation you choose to apply, make sure its tight wrapped and sealed. A few good options already mentioned here above.
Then you can apply these PVC jackets to it to get the look like what BZB is using . (they also make metal insulation jacketing too)
McMaster-Carr (likely not the cheapest source)

I will also add that its worth the money to buy some extra materials to practice with first, making this look neat and proper is kinda like an arts/crafts project.

“Phenolic” insulation seems to be the magic word. Was looking through some old photos and I found a screenshot from @Perma_Cooling with the same insulation on their -40 Ethanol pump.

https://www.jm.com/en/industrial-insulation/phenolic-foam/ Seems to be the same stuff. Looked amazing to me, an op who has had to mop many floors because of cheap insulation still icing up.

I think the words you might be looking for are “Neoprene Zippered Tank Jacket”. It will insulate a bit (sounds like you are already mostly insulated but still sweating…) and will also wick away the little bits of sweat that might still be happening.

Here is an example. Thank you for the visual of your tank chilling in a puffer jacket - got me right into remembering how I used to have to use one of these on the tank before my RO as the groundwater was so cold it would always get drippy without it.

They are also called tank quilt or drum quilts and they come in different materials. Neoprene takes up less space and does great for the wicking. You can also just buy a sheet of it and make your own perfectly sized wrap you know…with scissors and tape. :wink:

Good luck finding your tank buddy a perfect puffer coat - please send pics when you do.

2 Likes
2 Likes

thanks y’all.

I think the zippered neoprene is the first attempt. Most of what I am finding is for water softeners, hoping to find something more tailored. The phenolic looks great but thats pretty bulky stuff in an already tight space.

While I have no experience with Oregon regulations regarding C1D1 compliance, Here in CA you can absolutely have a floor drain. Gas will not settle in the drain wanting to go poof/poof if you have: 1. Proper air exchange in your c1d1. 2. Have no potential sparks for said poof to happen.

From OP’s description, I don’t see a workable solution as the areas that frost up are working areas an operator needs to access. The solution BZB is rocking so far IMO looks to be the best. I have done it at a facility with different pieces of equipment and absolutely 0 frost issues. I could not do that to the tops and bottoms of the SS in the C1D1’s because the operators would lose the ability to work on the columns.

TL:DR- The frost at the Top and Bottom of the vessels are going to be hard to get rid of short of automating the system.

1 Like

A fernco coupler and a piece of pvc for the budget sleeve

Who wants to be the first to fill a jacket with some perlite?

http://www.pratleyminerals.com/construction-thermal-insulation/perlite

8 Likes