Jacketed column.... jackets? Wraps? WTF, idk

Interesting @WhereAreTheStones nice post!

1 Like

I have floor drains in Oregon. Your floor drains should always have water in them creating a seal from the connected drains/rooms. If you dont put any water down a floor drain for a few weeks the plumbing could dry up but the issue isnt solvent getting into the drains since you should have a negative pressure in the extraction room.
The issue is the negative pressure will pull sewage vapors into your extraction room.

If you have floor drains use them at least once a week, I have a sink at the furthest part of our facility set up to drain right into the floor drains to ensure there will always be some water flowing into the floor drains.

5 Likes

Our Drains have to go to a collection res for testing/haz waste removal (cannabis biomass potential, as if!) before allowed to go to sewage here.

Thatā€™s a SOLID tip for those who donā€™t have to deal with excessive local JDs. :+1:

3 Likes

We have a ā€œgrease trapā€ as well at the end of our floor drain plumbing. It was a total bitch to deal with the city on this part of the build out though.

3 Likes

I donā€™t understand how perlite is better than a vacuum jacket.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure how well it performs tbh. Regular perlite has an R-value of 2.7. I believe a 1 inch vacuum jacket can have an R-value of 25 or greater. This ā€œcryogenic perliteā€ is a finer consistency like sand. I canā€™t find any info on R-value, I just know itā€™s used for cryogenic vessels and double walled pipe.

1 Like

Iā€™ve got some ideas for improvements to jackets and column closers.

Mainly to extend the liquid jacket and the vacuum jacket to within 1-2mm of the gasket flange install clamping flanges on the od of the vacuum jacket. Example; 4ā€ diameter column double jacketed and clamped with 5ā€ or 6ā€ triclamp. 4ā€ viton gasket in the center. 5ā€ or 6ā€ felt ā€œgasketā€ the outside flange. @Indofab

1 Like

Hi,
@Indofab isnā€™t really active on here to speak of,

This is doable, the fit-up of the components would be pretty critical in the assembly. Is this something you want made?

2 Likes

Just a pipe dream for me. And Iā€™m actually not in love with triclamp. Iā€™d much rather see a o-ring seal like split flange hydraulic where they bottom out metal on metal with the seal between. Or something you give a quarter turn to lock on like a pressure cooker lid.

1 Like

me neither, the way extractors are built is about to change in the next few years.

1 Like

might be a shot in the dark, but you could wrap them in PigMat. itā€™s adhesive-backed absorbant material, iā€™ve only used it on floors but it does a good job of soaking up and distributing water in a nice wide surface area for better evaporation. may or may not work whatsoever

Iā€™d like to see a hydrocarbon extractor one or two pound capacity specifically for home use. -40 to 100 degrees. No tools required operate. No gaskets. No gauges. Re fills from those little cans we donā€™t open blast with anymore. I think we can do it. Safer than a bar-bq. Quiet as a refrigerator. Of course you probably wonā€™t make diamonds in it. And for safety it wouldnā€™t open till the solvent is completely purged from the extract. But for home growers who extract occasionally and arenā€™t in a competition over lbs per minute recovered. A passive plug n play push button rig would be cool.

4 Likes

I would like to see the feasibility of maybe a hammerseal unions on extractors instead of using tc fittings.

1 Like

why? Seems like a great way to reduce the compatibility of your system with a whole swath of off the shelf parts.

If itā€™s pressure that concerns you, just stay away from 12 inch TC fittings.

1 Like

Deleted

Personally I am not concerned with compatability. I am looking at ease of setup and breakdown would not have to have a torque wrench involved or replacement of nuts and washers on fittings anymore. I am just putting ideas out there. In the world of sanitary stainless steel fittings there are a lot better options than triclamp in my professional opinion.

To be fair, I canā€™t argue thereā€™s not better fittings than dairy and beer fittings. :man_shrugging:

Luna Tech also went in a different direction for their material column, with the idea thatā€™s the part youā€™ll be opening a dozen times a day to input a new material sock. You might like taking a look at that, looks like no tools to open.