It's Willbillytek. Duh

it is NOT a NEW crystal lattice.

it’s a crystal lattice where 1 out of every 10,000 (or less) THCA molecules is replaced with a non-thca molecule.

which is conceptually no different from swapping out 1:100000 carbons for a boron in diamond. except “molecules” are both more finicky and more flexible when it comes to stacking.

yep, those “holes” change the macroscopic properties, but if you look at how THCA stacks with THCA stacks with THCA, that stacking is the same…except for every now and then, there is something else in the lattice.

Not my area of expertise, but I did work in a lab where the PI’s goal was to obtain representative crystal structures for every protein family out there.

11 Likes

if we were talking 1:1 or 3:1 we WOULD be looking at a co-crystal…possibly even 1:10

when crystallizing macromolecules (eg proteins), there is often a REQUIREMENT for water in the crystal. folks refer to “water of crystallization” rather than calling them “co-crystals”.

assuming 99% THCA, we’re looking at doped, defects, or inclusions.

doped participates, and is fitting for the product. I suggest running with it. because those are NOT co-crystals.

if their inclusion requires rapid crashing, they are defects or inclusions.

anyone know where the “page a crystallographer” button is?

8 Likes

Lol y Pop

If its a newly discovered crystal structure he should patent it, I don’t think he has and anyone knows that crystal structures (especially new ones) are patentable

2 Likes

I am under the understanding that He has several patents. Ask him

1 Like

Ya speaking from my success with the quick crash. That quick crash sop I can dope the crystal with just about anything I want so far. Here is nearly half a percent terpenes doped into a clean thca crystal.

16 Likes

@TheWillBilly care to chime in?

1 Like

You don’t need the lattice to change to change the color. Beer-Lambert says otherwise.

2 Likes

In this case the fact that it’s not blue as a liquid provides evidence that the color comes from crystal lattice being the way it is. Otherwise it would be a blue liquid

You’re kidding right?

15 Likes

This is a pretty massive assumption that until you make blues you should probably not spread as a fact.

2 Likes

Someone’s mad

Blue “inclusions” would require something actually blue in the mother liquor.

I reckon we’re looking at something more along these lines

the terpene(?) used is a decent fit, and the concentration in the mother liquor and speed of crash determines how often these “defects” occur.

Doping.

3 Likes

It’s not an assumption

Either we have conformational polymorphism or a compound undergoing some chemistry as it crystallizes. With no data hard to know.

1 Like

So you’re just arguing that for it to be a co-crystal it has to be above a certain concentration (ratio) of the minor molecule (?)

I wouldn’t know exactly but I get what you’re saying now

1 Like

Me being a dick

11 Likes

in order to be a co-crystal it must have defined stoichiometry, that’s his point.

7 Likes

no. I mean that every molecule of A has to be interacting with exactly the same number of B to qualify as a co-crystal (ignoring edge effects).

…but that is NOT what is happening here (ratio makes it impossible!)

By crashing fast, one can get inclusions (pockets that are not participating in the crystal structure) eg solvent, OR, in this case we are likely getting point defects/substitutions.

as this is (now) being done deliberately, it qualifies as “doping”.

8 Likes

The entire “the blue is from a certain molecule cocrystallizing in the lattice refracting light in a certain way” theory kinda falls apart with green and pink and purple and all of these other colors in my opinion.

8 Likes