Its not iSoBuTaNe! A theory for cause of "Medusa"

This procedure of catalyst preparation, removal, and replacement is relatively lengthy (typically
one week or more) and requires the unit, or at least the reactor, to be shut down such that no
hydrocarbon is processed during the time of catalyst replacement.

Even if they were using platinum which I don’t think they would have, it takes a week off their production to replace and I assume they can only regenerate soo much? so I don’t see them going that route? too much demand to catch up to, compounded with labor shortages, do you think they would regenerate platinum or just keep using a quick and dirty consumable?

EPA Paper says this; but not sure if its really talking about the same thing…

A residual of high molecular-weight reaction by-products dissolves in the HF acid
catalyst and lowers its effectiveness. To maintain the catalyst activity, a slip stream of catalyst is
distilled, leaving the by-product, acid soluble oil (ASO), as a residue. The ASO is charged to a
decanting vessel where an aqueous phase settles out. The aqueous phase, an azeotropic mixture
of HF acid and water, is referred to as constant boiling mixture (CBM). The ASO is scrubbed
with potassium hydroxide (KOH) to remove trace amounts of HF and either recycled, sold as
product (e.g., residual fuel), or burned in the unit’s boiler. The CBM is sent to the neutralization
tank. In some cases, the ASO from the regenerator is sent directly to the neutralization tank.
The ASO is a residual of concern for the petroleum refining study.mystery oils?

A series of fractionators distills the product streams from the reactor into the alkylate,
saturated gases, and HF acid. Isobutane and HF are recycled back into the reactor as feed.
The main fractionator overhead is charged to the depropanizer and debutanizer, where high-purity propane and butane are produced. The propane and butane are then passed through
the alumina treater for HF removal. Once catalytically defluorinated, they are KOH-treated and
sent to LPG storage.
THIS ^^^^^^^^

As HF is neutralized by aqueous KOH, soluble potassium fluoride (KF) is produced and
the caustic is eventually depleted. Some facilities employ KOH regeneration. Periodically some
of the KF-containing neutralizing solution is withdrawn to the KOH regenerator. In this vessel

Looks like they use isobutane to make the higher purity butane and propane? So it all comes from isobutane, its a tool for them to make the higher purity solvents, but it can be used in these processing industries as well such as pharma and ours?

I’m sure they can regenerate 100% and if they aren’t bothered by the use of reagents like hydrofluoric acid they can do it without too much trouble.

2 Likes

I wonder if they could have been using platinum in 2019 to 2020 which would make the isobutane good but by 2021 switched to aluminum, which made it bad? That’s the gist of what I’m on about… its just hypothetical conversation. I appreciate ALL the feedback.

2 Likes

My isobutane is from 2018

Platinum would have been even cheaper then…if you follow the trend of the chart.

They’ve probably been using Platinum all the way up to mid-2020 when you see that last dip and then ROCKET upwards, that rocket is labor shortages at production facilities causing short supply to raise in value to ease demand.

They probably literally had no choice but to switch to a cheaper catalyst after mid 2020, and only they would care since isobutane is predominately used within their own refinement and manufacturing process, a bunch of wookies playing with acidic THC compounds would be the only ones affected, not that they would have even known to consider that… lol.

EDIT: you’re having the issue with the 2018 isobutane?

Also all the new needs for all the new electric vehicles etc, all those oz’s of platinum made a nice return in that time frame.

2 Likes

If they reuse the catalyst why are they buying more?

I am not under the assumption that the isobutane is bad. My observation is that when pouring wet jars isobutane is cold enough to precipitate thca at its evaporation temp no matter the saturation level

2 Likes

We reuse solvent too, why do we buy more? I just assumed it only has a finite number of times before none of it can be regenerated? I may be completely wrong though.

This threw me off, because above it says “replacement” but maybe its temporarily replaced and gone away to regenerate and then reintroduced in a cycle?

The structure of given compound i.e., isobutane is as follows:

The formation of isobutane by the decarboxylation reactions can take place in following ways:
Preparation Reaction-1:
When 2-methylbutanoic acid is heated under standard conditions, then the formation of isobutane takes place along with the removal of carbon dioxide gas. The reaction is as follows:

Preparation Reaction-2:
When 2,2-dimethylpropanoic acid is heated under standard conditions, then the formation of isobutane takes place along with the removal of carbon dioxide gas. The reaction is as follows:

Preparation Reaction-3:
When 3-methylpentanedioic acid is heated under standard conditions, then the formation of isobutane takes place along with the removal of carbon dioxide gas. The reaction is as follows:

Preparation Reaction-4:
When 2,2-dimethylbutanedioc acid is heated under standard conditions, then the formation of isobutane takes place along with the removal of carbon dioxide gas. The reaction is as follows:

Preparation Reaction-5:
When 2-methylpropane-1,2,3-tricarboxylic acid is heated under standard conditions, then the formation of isobutane takes place along with the removal of carbon dioxide gas. The reaction is as follows:

Hence, five acids can be used to form isobutane via decarboxylation reaction.

Note:

It is important to note that in actuality, there are a total seven acids through which isobutane can be formed via decarboxylation reactions which are two monobasic acids, three dibasic acids and two tribasic acids. It is considered as the most important reaction for the formation of alkanes.

6 Likes

Platinum is an element. Not too difficult to reduce it to elemental platinum and regenerate. I’m sure you get some loss but not a lot.

1 Like

14 Likes

That’s on Instagram now. I tagged the propane/King of the Hill rapper. I want this in Hank’s voice.

5 Likes

So long as they nail that last stanza…

2 Likes

when you exit with a take care than edit and argue the complete opposite than “walk away” with TTFN? lmao what

Tried being petty about a statement you pulled out your ass than googled a proper study/some reputable knowledge to rebuttal. Isobutane is the d8 of butane? Even the Isobutane that is naturally in crude oil/gas that gets distilled out as well? **** Converted isobutane is the equivalent of converted D8 *** much more accurate.

Why do people argue a stance they can google and disagree with in 5 seconds. Clearly feel some type of way about safeways opinion. I dont think its iso but i think hes further along the way of understanding than most commenting.

I quite literally commented about there use of cracklers for conversions before your comment. 1 google search and you wouldve known they converted their goods. Instantly invalidated your own opinion and still got the most likes? this website something else lol

5 Likes

Did I miss where he explained why the n-butane feedstock is all contaminated by a process used to convert n-butane into something else. Why would all of the gas go through this process?

2 Likes

That doesn’t exist.

“then edit”

I didn’t argue the opposite with the edit. Butane is going through a reaction and decarbed. My previous statement is direct copy from part of the definition.

“Then”

I feel this is going to be a continuous trend.

Wait, what?! Apothecary 36 hasn’t offered a single ounce of input. Except for “lol, isobutane”. He even strictly posted a meme above, too. Why don’t you chastise him?

Thought so. GTFO fgr

I’ll end it with

KTHXBYE

Just buy a tank of iso and make some diamonds fam

1 Like

image please google what a LPG is before you continue your argument. Bro you clearly smokign something other than kush, i dont see a single comment from apothecary on this post?

fix my spelling all you want. My point is getting across and to be frank i grew up on the internet, i naver cared for gremmar or speling here, You can continuously fix my thans theres w.e this aint a work email buddy.

I cant chastise someone who didnt comment on the thread lmao.

KTYDEUCES

Theres so many other streams of “waste” they monetized as well not included in this picture…

3 Likes

@TRIPPIE is @Apothecary36. Dipshit.

Isobutane is a fucking isomer. It is created. Are you sure that you are not just getting mad that you can’t understand this.

I even posted the acids they use to make the conversion. AND DECARB THE BUTANE. You sure you don’t want to try to Google this and find out for yourself

Also @TRIPPIE I have made diamonds extracting with isobutane. They came out like normal. I used to extract with it. When I first showed up here I was extracting with it. Definitely moved past it.