ISO % question for extraction

So I was really hoping I could get some 190/195 Ethanol, but that shit is just way to fuckin’ expensive…
ISO on the other hand, is super cheap and easily available.
I’m trying to remember from my lab days which we used for cleaning. I think we just bounced back and forth from 70-99 w.e was cheaper and purer and available at the moment?
I feel like 70 obv didn’t lift as good and took more chlorophyll then the 99, but the 99 also stripped more terps, but havin’ to account for any nasty cutting agents they may have used to get it to 99%? (which I’m not to worried about anymore, just trying to recover as much core compounds as I can like D8 D9 D10 HHC etc. from tonnes of left overs caked all over glass jars and parchment papers, worried about cutting agents in product, not terps lol. tho keeping terps would be cool?)

What % do people use and why?
I tried googling and stuff but didn’t really have luck. Maybe 'cause I’m using firefox? I’ve noticed of late I’ve had to go to duckduckgo for ANY sort of questionable searchs, even cannabis stuff being filtered off google? Maybe it’s just me?
Nothing on here either in regards, that I could find anyway? If someone has a link somewhere hit me up plz?

You don’t want to extract with iso. I think there are some threads on it here even.

3 Likes

I know… People being doing QWISO for a long time tho… And financials have left me with really no choice about it. =/
Thanks for looking out for my health tho bud.
Trust me. I WISH I was rich enough for ethanol. I really truly do.
Or for a rotovap to recover said ethanol, tho I am working on building my own from scratch =D
I’m thinking if I take just 70% iso since it’s just water and iso with no cutting agent, and concentrate it myself VIA salting->distillation/or just salt-> filtration/decant if im lazy method, then I’d have no harmful cutting agents and my own clean 99% pure iso for a super fraction of the cost of ethanol? It’s over a 100 dollars for a gal of ethanol were I’m at.
70/ISO is about a dollar a qt.

:face_in_clouds: :melting_face: :facepunch:t5:bump :facepunch:t5: :crazy_face: :melting_face:

bump it up

Denatured Ethanol is not an option?

1 Like

Considering he doesn’t have any lab equipment or anything, I’d say yeah denatured is probably not an option. Those extra hexanes are a little pesky and not great to consume.

4 Likes

Is it not possible to find everclear or a clear grain alcohol?

3 Likes

Perhaps I’m mistaken but isn’t there ethanol denatured with Isopropyl?

1 Like

I believe he’s trying to get around the gnarly taxes that come with ethanol.

1 Like

How much ethanol are you looking for? I might be able to spare some recovered if you are trying to make some at home medicine. DM me if interested. Im local. Free of course.

2 Likes

Afaik it’s usually 95% etoh and 5% either hexane or heptane

3 Likes

This is the stuff I was thinking about, though it also has methanol which may make it a no go as well.

2 Likes

Wtf is QWERT by the way? You mean QWISO?

Like @Cheebachiefextracts said though just go grab some high proof liquor from the store. Everclear is all I used for years when I was younger b4 I could source ethanol

Do multiple dunks in the same volume of alcohol and for bonus points do it as cold as possible

6 Likes

Another option is making your ethanol?
Sugar + yeast + water + time = low proof alcohol
Create a cheap still with copper pipes to increase ur proof.
For the last steps, use molecular sieve to increase ur proof even more.

5 gal batch of low proof alcohol can be made every 2 weeks.
Copper still can be reused over and over.
Molecular sieves just need to be dried in an oven to be reused.

7 Likes

They meant QWET, quick wash ethanol extraction, as opposed to quick wash isopropyl extraction (QWISO)

3 Likes

The tools required to recover ethanol also give you the ability to MAKE ethanol.

So stop wasting solvent, and save yourself some money…

Hrs of reading around here on solvent recovery.

Eg: Who is king of EToH Recovery?

Tired of using a rice cooker to blow solvent to atmosphere, you can use that same rice cooker to power a still…

9 Likes

I actually do have a heating/stir mantle, skincare machine which i repurposed the medical vacuum pump off of, (no gauge so can’t tell what’s happening, it’s open loop light vac), and a basic distillation gear, everything here basically: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N2P9SKK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

If I was gonna use denatured eth I would just get 195% without the nasty cutting agents and either use 195 or denature myself via my 3a molecular sieves.
I ALSO have 1lb of potassium carbonate I could use to salt eth from miscible solutions.
But yes, ethanol of any grade is extrememly expensive. Even sourcing cheap booze from the store and reducing it myself isn’t even 1/10th as cost effective as just iso(any grade) would be… =( Maybe one day I’ll be able to afford to step up to eth and be able to recover as much as possible.
@cyclopath I need to get a vaccuum gauge so I can see how much I could potentially recover with my current setup above…
Even tho everyone says distillation vs rotovap for eth recovery is taboo. (which I get, but hey, can’t all have a roto. Tho i will have a homemade one some day soonish)

I tried. Fairly certain I failed. Should have DEFF finished my homemade hydrometer before distilling all that waste to.loool(I’m gonna try salting it soon with pot carbonate and let you know if I even got anything, since my hydrometer won’t be done for weeks lol)
I maybe feeling brave and confident enough to try a rough determination by weight.
Which I deff should have did ahead of time. But eh… Live an learn?

Jeeze mane that’s super generous ty I’ll shoot you a PM