ISO A good cheap solution to filtering crude

Really need to find a good solution for filtering winterized crude currently using a buchner funnel with paper filters and its just not cutting it still getting particles and floaters in product I’ve gotten to the point where I’m triple filtering and triple cleaning everything. Help! Down to spend some $$$ but really wanna stay on the cheaper side. Lemme see some pics of some setups!

Lenticular or bag filters or both

Grease filters and steel conical strainers, then Buchner maybe. Not ideal, but totally possible. Really helped us when winterized in a freezer the night prior.

We ran warm etoh once the Buchner was done filtering before attempting the next batch.

2 Likes

Water filters are great

3 Likes

What size micron are you using?

The last stuff I helped setup today was under 1um? After setup correctly. You’ll excuse my question marks. I don’t hold a strong longevity in laboratories, I’m new as they come but with a year or so of uneducated experience and appreciate your questions.

What kind of system are you running

I made a giant stainless buchner funnel today essentially for a unique built system.

Surely, we can get the micron right or figure out if you’re not right temp and carrying stuff that can’t be filtered well but can be easier controlled via temp

I’ve always thought round grease duct to make a giant buchner would be pretty cheap and effective. It’s sold in all different diameters, so you could build one that’s pretty much any size/length.

1 Like

If you want more effective filtering, use some celite on top of your filter paper. You will probably get better results with no floaters from a single pass with celite than you would with many passes with just paper.

4 Likes

scale matters…how much are you filtering?

how are you making your crude?

a 1um felt bag in a centrifuge is a great solution imo

you might also benefit from checking out the Search results for 'filter winterization' - Future4200

5 Likes

I’ve been frustrated trying to get a 12.5cm buchner to stay situated and started using a 5 micron rosin bag attached to the end of the hose with a hose clamp to get the bulk of it filtered. It doesn’t get as much throughput but it’s painless. Going down to 1/.2 micron would take more work

1 Like

Hochstrom filter

10l filter bottle:

Once oleoresin has waxed up, pour into filter with filtration paper and fiberglass wool to retain fats.

You will need some hoses and build a small manifold for the setup, preferably with a regulator and a cold trap before the pump. You can add multiple hochstrom filters with a manifold in case one begins to clog and slow the flow.

2 Likes

if a hose clamp isn’t good enough I had this idea for an inline filter as well

2 Likes

What are you using as the micron filter in these?

Crude is supercritical C02 that is winterized with 200 proof ethy at 4:1-6:1 ratio then thrown into a cryo freezer at -87c and filtered through a buchner funnel with paper filters using grade 3 and 4 Whattamans

1 Like

Crude is supercritical C02 that is winterized with 200 proof ethy at 4:1-6:1 ratio then thrown into a cryo freezer at -87c and filtered through a buchner funnel with paper filters using grade 3 and 4 Whattamans

From there it goes to rotovap for solvent removal and if strain specific and is good filtered C02 it is supposed to be a finished product, if not quality c02, it goes to distillate.

We are playing with anywhere from 200-300gs of crude to about 700-1000gs. When winterized anywhere from 2000-6000mls in winterized form with ethy

1 Like

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M19WKI0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_T75NPWVRKVZHF8K8S9KS

Something like that. When u buy in bulk they are about a buck a pop

3 Likes

I still like my bag filter cart

60 gpm is beast, im releasing a peer reviewed version soon

7 Likes

So OP is winterizing less than a kg at a time.

In less than a gal of solvent most of the time.

I don’t think 60gpm is particularly relevant. Do you?

This seems like a more appropriate sized bag filter to throw at the problem

6 Likes

personally I use 2um paper filter, then I build a cotton filter in the Buchner funnel using unfurled and pulled apart organic cotton balls.

3 Likes

Check dm

Bag filter first then lenticular. Bags are cheap good lenticular elements aren’t

2 Likes