Is there a way to isolate terpene

Hey just looking for a way to do a terpene separation with live resin would love to know how these pics are pulled off.

When you form diamonds ( THC-A most likely in this case) your terpenes seperate out and stay behind in the “mother liquor”. They then took those diamonds and washed them with cold pentane, purged the terpenes for excess solvent, and finally poured the terpenes back on. I know @murphymurri has a way to get a terpene fraction using CRC.

6 Likes

Thank you very much that’s exactly what I was asking for

1 Like

Exactly what @Kingofthekush420 said - crystalization purifies your thca and the supernatant/mother liquor can be poured off of the crystals. The benefit to separating the terpenes from the cannabinoids is to expose each product to the different conditions necessary to remove any residual solvent. Then, when all residual solvents have been removed, the two consistencies are combined again for consumption.

Oh & you can totally use chromatography to separate terpenes from cannabinoids as well, though that level of purification is not necessary to achieve what’s pictured here.

6 Likes

Any tips on achiving a complete thca / terpene seperation after the initial crystalization process has compleated? After pouring off the terp layer I find that it continues to crash out a small amount of thca. How can I fully seperate my terps from my thca? I’ve heard there is a mechanical seperation tecnique to getting a compleate terp seperation. Any thoughts?

2 Likes

a small centrifuge will mechanically separate the two no problem. however the terpenes removed will still have thca in them as the terpenes will disolve the thca because terpenes are also solvents.

2 Likes

Here’s a good thread on the topic

1 Like

Thanks @ky_cbd @thesk8nmidget. I’ve read up on that tek and on centrifuges in general but can’t imagine a centrifuge being able to handle serious volume. ie 3-5 lbs a day. Here are some picts of what I’m trying to achive,

what I’m starting out with and the diamonds I can crow with the dry isolate

My centrifuge is rated at 600g per swing bucket and has 4 buckets. After taking account for jar weight i can do 450g per bucket. Times that by 4 and you got 1600g per run or 3.5lbs per run.

Your idea of serious volume is of no concern if you buy a decent fuge. I paid less than 500 for mine and its a refrigerated fisher scientific and in perfect shape.

3 Likes

started a new topic on this here: Seperating terpenes from crystalized THCa

And why the fuck can’t you tell me this shit while you’re at my place?!?!?!?
:rofl::rofl:
Come make some crystals with me bro