Is there a test to verify that hemp-derived cannabinoids are actually hemp-derived?

As I understand it, many states require a chain of custody and that there is a paper trail to verify where products are purchased. But, is there a test that can be performed to verify that a “hemp-derived d-9” product is, in fact, hemp-derived?

I’m pretty new to the hemp industry and was asked this the other day and I have absolutely no idea. So, far, the answer I have gotten is “no”. But this forum is my go-to for information unavailable elsewhere. Anybody know?

“Hemp derived” d9 is a scam.

2 Likes

Is it hemp or is it pot
Alas my testing tells me not

Definitive and validated? Probably not

Subjective/Suggestive/decent indicators? Absolutely.

@kcalabs (and others) probably have data up their sleeves that they are fairly confident in

5 Likes

Typically you can tell from the coa. Converted kgs won’t have any minors or if they do its under loq.

1 Like

We can tell based on a few indicators in the testing. Happy to test and check.

10 Likes

Play dumb and think it’s all hemp. Marijuana is fake. Everything is hemp.

3 Likes

D9 from thca flower is still hemp right?

4 Likes

All hemp. All the time. I wish I wasn’t so dumb. I could have been doing this for decades.

5 Likes

@Kingofthekush420 tried to warn us with his screenshots! We didn’t listen :cry:

2 Likes

It’s all hemp, but according to these guys, d9 is the only cannabinoid that needs to be in compliant levels. THCa from hemp is fair game. If you buy anything from them, it will come with a handy letter from their lawyer explaining why the “hemp-derived” diamonds or flower they sell are compliant.

How can this be possible when the statute itself clearly calls out that the D9THC levels are based on the decarboxylation of THCa * 87.5% + the presence of actual D9THC in the dry weighed plant material?

Its not like derivative stuff where you can maybe make an inference (false but whatever) that the Senate thought all this stuff was supposed to be included. They were actually specific about not including it.

People are really weird in this industry. I mean if you want to do illegal stuff - don’t let me stand in your way. But at least, you know, be honest with yourselves about it. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I’m not making this claim. However this company is shipping thca from NC through USPS to all 50 states.

The hemp boys got balls of diamonds. Literally thca diamonds

3 Likes

I’d just like to point out that this document references the very specific documents I referenced in my first comment. Those things clearly call out the parts of the plant that are excluded (which doesn’t include inflorescence or flower parts) and that clearly defines hemp to be cannabis sativa plants that are less than 0.3% d9THC on a dry weight basis, with the calculation to determine d9THC content having been defined by the USDA (in their final rule) and enforced by the DEA (in their final rule).

People can do lots of dumb things. And lawyers will say, well, anything. I always remind myself that for every court case there are usually two groups of lawyers, and only one group of lawyers walks away the winner. :wink:

I know it’s sarcasm and cynicism mixed with humor about the industry, but I just want to say that I LOVE the hot takes in this thread.

2 Likes