Is SPD legal?

Is SPD legal to perform without proper licensing? As a homebrew type, is it actually legal to refine my product for personal use? Or does this fall under a manufacturing regulation or something? Just curious.

2 Likes

If youre doing it for yourself it falls under manufacture of a controlled substance, which is a felony.

You certainly do need to be licensed to operate legally.

6 Likes

Is making edibles considered manufacturing also? Plenty of people are pretty open about doing that with there personal grow.

1 Like

Im not sure about edibles, but the reason spd would be illegal is because your concentrating the active component and creating a drug.

With edibles you dont concentrate quite as much but its still probably looked at in the same way.

2 Likes

wouldnt “cannabutter” be considered concentrated?

edit: i realize it was an extremely specific example just thinking of applying on home scale

2 Likes

Yes I suppose you’re concentrating it but you’re not performing any type of reaction that is actually creating a new drug besides decarbing if that counts as creating a new drug. I see it more as purification than anything but I guess it’s how its viewed in the eyes of the law. Does SPD fall under and specific laws that you know of?

Extractinf morphine from poppies is illegal. You may not be doing anything to alter the chemical structure of the drug, but you are still creating a concentrated version of the drug.

5 Likes

I agree and I’m in the mindset that it is illegal. However living in MI, I’m also curious how living in a legal state affects the laws.

Totally illegal. Unlicensed labs in Cali are facing prison time for running SPDs

5 Likes

also in the glove. Going to be interesting to see how the mra handles the “dividing line” between what are acceptable home practices and what they want left in licensed facilities and how they guide patients/adult-use

3 Likes

I understand the need for regulation with extraction and processing but with SPD I don’t feel those regulations are necessary as you’re essentially just boiling it and collecting the fractions.

1 Like

I would look to the wording of the laws in your state:

“Under Proposal 1, adults 21 years of age or older are legally allowed to possess up to 2.5 ounces of cannabis outside of their home and up to 10 ounces in their home. Additionally, adults of age may possess and cultivate up to 12 cannabis plants in their home and possess no more than 15 grams of concentrate at any given time.”

I think your answer is right there. You theoretically should be allowed to use short path distillation to create up to 15 grams of distillate from cannabis plants you grow yourself. However, it also means that you can only have up to 15 grams of crude oil to make that distillate from, so you would be working on a smaller than R&D size scale. Creating 15 grams of crude oil will be very difficult to accomplish; technically the second you have any amount of cannabinoids dissolved in ethanol, the entire solution is considered a cannabis concentrate, so you can have maximum ~15ml of ethanol with cannabinoids dissolved. If you see where I’m going with this, it basically will be very difficult to remain under the legal 15g possession limit for concentrates if you are manufacturing them.

11 Likes

side fact for those in michigan: medical patients and adult-use get compounding rights :grin:
thats directly from brisbo. talked to him at the MEHA conference last year when i presented some environmental research

2 Likes

15 grams of butter is not alot. Than to figure how much butter is in each treat.

1 Like

That is actually helpful, as the medical laws will add to your limits if you do have a card:

• 16 ounces of marijuana-infused products in solid form

• 7 grams of marijuana infused product in gaseous form

• 36 fluid ounces of marijuana-infused product in liquid form

Additionally, it states that all qualified patients may possess up to 2.5 ounces of usable marijuana and marijuana equivalents (concentrates?). 36 fl oz is roughly equivalent to 1L, it would be very easy to argue that 1L of ethanol with cannabinoids dissolved in it (AKA the immediate output of an ethanol extraction process) is a marijuana infused product in liquid form. If what @greenergrasslabs says is true, this would allow you to do your ethanol extraction, boil off the ethanol to get 50-60 grams of crude (falls under the 2.5 ounces of usable marijuana quantity), then use a little 100ml short path setup to make your distillate out of it. My understanding is that this method would be 100% legal and above board, assuming you have a medical card as well.

4 Likes

Just read an article stating some people have been arrested for solventlesss extraction as well. The claim is concentration of cannabis with solvent’s, pressure or any inventive method is manufacturing.

3 Likes

Hm interesting. How are the laws so fucking backwards in regards to the will of the people and basic logic?

7 Likes

same common denominator unfortunately. $$$

3 Likes

Yeah this has to vary by state. I would really doubt the laws about making distillate in your house are the same in CO or OR than they are in Alabama.

In CO, you can concentrate cannabis at home by making rosin or butter, with no risk of getting in trouble. So I don’t think the “concentrating the active component is illegal” thing is totally accurate.
And you can buy everclear at the liquor store… So dissolving some concentrate you already have in everclear, filtering it, and then boiling it sounds legal to me. But I could be wrong.
If making RSO is legal, I couldn’t see making distillate being illegal. But I am just speculating/guessing.

Extracting with hydrocarbons without a license is not legal though. I do know that. But that’s for obvious reasons.

3 Likes

I just gave away a spd to the sick caregiver who was on here a week or two ago. Legal or not nobody can change the fact that medicine it is, help it will do, make it a must.

To be felonious in the end you must have been proven with all shadow of doubt that you were making it for profit and or in a illegal malicious manner etc…or for Jack shit if you have a rookie prosecutors against you.

The last thing a prosecutor wants to do is have a wheel chair gang roll through as a material evidence/charachter witness.

When I first started jbs lotions many a time ago i used to help alot of people and collect letters and have sick people hold ground on my side in case I ever had to be called forward to face the firing squad…

I’ll do time for a sick child anyday…

Now again :watch::watch::watch:will tell how the consumer home market is treated likewise to home brewery. There’s literally no logical limit to how much beer and home brew whiskey people make.

19 Likes