Is Buchner filter the best for filtering close to 50liters

He really does dislike lab society more than summit. Haha

5 Likes

I speak from a stictly rational bias that you are paying $1200 for a buchner funnel.

Also my opinions on summit and LS are both based on this rational basis. I have never bought anything from these compnaies or instructed anyone to purchase anything from them because I am a chemist that knows what these products do and what products outside the inflated cannabis industry perform the same task for a fraction of the price.

Edit: if you have something you want to buy from LS or summit let me know and if i have the time I will send you a product to purchase outside of cannabis industry 4 free

33 Likes

Iā€™m with you on that, this industry takes advantage of us. Most of this equipment is being used all over the world already. They just charge us more because weā€™re in a different culture, where most of us donā€™t know any better.

8 Likes

I wonder if they make a 2" SS tri-clamp vacuum adapter? You could make a pretty good size buchner funnel out of kegs if that were the case.

1 Like

$4k in shipping costsā€¦gotta love air shipping large heavy items from chinaā€¦that looks awesome though

1 Like

I made one out of a baby keg because I had over 400 gals of crude/etoh mix to filter and the single 18" Bel-Art wasnā€™t enough to get it done in what I considered a reasonable timeframe.

As far as vacuum adapters, hard to source locally in my experience but you can get plenty of pipe thread ā†’ KF/QF fittings on eBay. Your local homebrewing shop will likely have MPT/FPT to TC adapters up to 1.5-2". And if you canā€™t find it, make friends with someone with a lathe and a tig welder.

3 Likes

@Lilibel makes those from PTFE

2 Likes

I switched from a buchner to a filter press and it has been life changing.

3 Likes

10ā€ hole in one end, 6ā€ in the other.
Yeah, it worksā€¦

Just got to get the 3D bed in there set right, protect it from disruption from in coming flow (pour in my case)

Oh, I was thinking of just cutting the bottom off a tall 1/4 barrel keg and using it as the funnel into a 1/2 barrel keg as the receiving flask. Utilizing the 2" openings that already fit onto a tri-clamp. Though I guess I would still have to weld a porous plate to the bottom of the funnel to support the mesh filter and 3D bed. Which means Iā€™d still have to pay someone with a plasma cutter and tig welder to get the funnel together. Probably still way cheaper than a pre-made setup, though.

2 Likes

Not recommending my solution. It was what I had. Just confirming it works :wink:

2 Likes

Check out Sambo Creeck Filtration!

Industrial Filtration Equipment Q&A

What kinda filter press? I do all my rough cut in a 10.25 bel art then into the freezer for 24hrs and then I use my stainless steel for the final 1micron and straight into the roto.

2 Likes

what a sweetheart.

Itā€™s an aluminum 10" 7-plate press with an air-driven diaphragm pump. Fun tip: where the pressure gauge was installed between the pump and the plates, I teed it off and added a 1/4" air fitting. When done pumping, I connect the air line to that fitting and blow air through to de-water the cake.

1 Like

Nice sounds efficient. Any way I can get pic to better understand, Iā€™ve seen a few modified maple syrup presses that work pretty good, but your sounds a lot better

6 Likes

I like it, very nice. Sourced yourself its not a pig from summit? If i ever needed to do that much that definitely would be the route i would take. Are tou doing etho exyravtion or bho. Im all bho, if i could turn the clock back 5 yrs id would have startwd with etho, but in those days you couldnt biy half rhe stuff you can now , and sure as sbit no one was sharing info. I called pope back in 2014 and they asked what company and business wiring etc. i told rhem id just dly out and oay for it and they hund up pretty much.

2 Likes

@Chimeraleaf Have you received your Rotavap?