Is any of my CLS equipment still usable? UPDATE WITH PICS AT THE END

I once put 200PSI N2 into one of these (350L)

Letting it out through a KF-25 bellows was so awe inspiring the machine was dubbed “little boy”.

6 Likes

I think I’m going to go through the rubble tomorrow and attempt to find my stainless cold trap and stainless bellows for my SPD Since that stuff really only ever gets put under vacuum I’m assuming I can clean it up and it will still be usable for sure

8 Likes

They think its going to explode. :man_facepalming:t2: If it lets go it will be at the gasket and if its the steel it will open a hole slowly. I would rather air than water spraying out.

2 Likes

Man @DUMPSTERFIREOG my heart goes out to you… I know it won’t replace anything but hold ur head up

Im hoping y’all have wonderful insurance right now

3 Likes

I guess I’ll just leave this here: hydrotest failure vs pneumatic test failure - YouTube

It costs $28 to not be lazy, I don’t see the big deal. Yes it probably won’t fail, and much less likely will burst but IMO if it’s worth testing, it’s worth doing it right

6 Likes

@StoneD nah stupidly I didn’t have any insurance, have to say I won’t make that mistake twice

3 Likes

Not a comment about you.

I’m very sorry for your loss.

2 Likes

No worries man I figured that out right after I posted that

2 Likes

What size system was it?

“Been through a fire” is very subjective

I’d say dropping a spool is more harmful than some mild carbon char on it. I don’t know the extent of this specific damage so I was speaking in hyperbole.

1 Like

It was custom built, only got to test it once with the new shotgun condenser but I got it to do 20lbs in 30mins or so.

2- 6x48 columns
A jacketed 12x36 spool with a jacketed hemispherical 12” bottom end cap, and a 12x12 spool on top of the jacketed one with a hemispherical dome lid to a 4x36 filter dryer to a massive Dry ice shotgun condenser from green machine back to the tank. All running half inch lines. Wired and built my own heater with a PID controller and some massive water heater elements to generate energy for the phase change to vapor off a 50 amp breaker and was getting ready to double that up to see if I could increase vapor production even more and it was fucking screaming. Literally never got to even run her a full day. That’s why I’m butthurt about it all being burnt up and trying to see if I can recover it.

I’ve been building it for like 2 years buying new pieces to expand it little by little.

9 Likes

I’m sorry man. That sounds like a fucking bad ass machine…

1 Like

I bet a lot is salvageable. I hope you can use most.

I’m really sorry and I can’t imagine it happening to me.

5 Likes

Read NFPA 1, Chapter 69, Section 2.

Then Read Section VIII of Non-Fired Pressure Vessels by ASME.

Then get back to us.

You CAN get a lot (if not most) of the ASME stuff recertified by a local ASME shop—it’s all right there in the code.

In terms of people “freaking out” about pneumatic pressure tests…yeah, they SHOULD. You should be testing vessels to 150% their operating pressure, meaning the pressure in the vessel is highest under test conditions.

Have you ever seen premature failure of a 12” high-pressure clamp at 150psi? If that shit hits you in the leg, it’s gonna be at least a couple months before you walk again. If that shit hits you in the head, you’re gone.

The advice being provided here is worth listening to. I’d hydro test a fire failed vessel at 100psi with water. I wouldn’t do it with air.

Pneumatic pressure test failures are pretty terrifying and dangerous relative to hydrostatic. Worst case with water, someone gets wet. I’ll take a splash of water over projectile stainless steel w/ 150psi behind it any day.

Edit: And there’s no reason to cast disdain on “garage trappers”. Those are the people who’ve been doing this since the beginning, and in many cases have more intuitive knowledge to the process than some of my chemical engineering peers. They operate in shitty conditions because not everyone has a $2million trust fund to start a badass lab with. The people who’s words are highly regarded here foster a community of mutual respect, regardless of how extensive or well-built their labs are.

18 Likes

Debroah says to use the magic eraser for burnt plastic on SS. I think it can handle some ash.
https://youtu.be/nHtkvQYinzU

Some concerns and precautions. Fire is different than heat. Gaskets replace. Possible braided hosing replaced. Building was on fire. Your equipment could of taking some damage from falling debris. . Any type of plastic on the equipment needs to be replaced. The sight glasses i think have gaskets in them. Dont use abrasive metal wiring.

Hydrostatic test

Make sure you inspect the outside of your equipment thoroughly. She might have taken a few blows from the debris but industrial equipment is made for abuse.

One last thing dont forget to bless it with sage when you put it back together. she might be feeling some type of way. gotta have a fresh start.

3 Likes

I know a guy who took a 4” high pressure clamp to the face and shattered his jaw in more than a few places. Not sure of the reason it came off, only that it took him out.

1 Like

They have saying in the petro world. the small things is what kills you. He probably didn’t bolt it on. Just put in place. Extract/recovery at 0-15 psi. No reason to go more.

3 Likes

id guess the shit standard brass nuts, anyone else remember ol krunchbubbles accident. replace your nuts yo.

3 Likes

Jesus if it’s as simple as a magic eraser I’m gonna lose my mind. Thanks for the heads up.

2 Likes

The heat of the fire might change the strength of the metal and some fires can get really hot. It could also warp it somewhat which could ruin your ability to seal it like before. That said, testing should uncover these issues. I just probably wouldn’t waste my time on some of the really bad ones. Especially if cheap to replace.

2 Likes