Intro to vape cartridge formulation and filling

Inverse, you want to heat up super fast to 170-200

You should not be heating on a mag stirrer. You should have either heated in a microwave, convection oven, or water bath. You want to drop your stone in immediately after the heating step and get the stone to its fastest speed. At that point you should dump in your terps. Do not drop temps, you are already losing heat to the walls of your mixing vessel. It should take 5-10 min for a uniform mix

Decarbing is more forgiving, Im talking mixing

3 Likes

Itā€™s a pretty straightforward breakdown. If you canā€™t afford a homogenizer then use a hot plate if you canā€™t afford a hot plate then use the oven at home with a ball jar and shake the fuck out of it. Are we really having an argument about a hot plate and homogenizer ? Please feel free to dm if anyone has questions about making carts if this post does not explain it clearly enough for you.

2 Likes

There is no argument, @BoogiePants was given the wrong parameters for his set of tools. I really hope he doesnā€™t heat over a mag stirrer because the inefficiency will cause all the degradation he is trying to avoid.

2 Likes

Thank you! There seems to be so much contradictory information everywhere to get the same results. I have a sous vide device and Iā€™ll get that going now to heat up the remaining distillate I have. Any recommendations on an entry level homogenizer or route to sourcing a decent used one?

1 Like

hank you! There seems to be so much contradictory information everywhere to get the same results. I have a sous vide device and Iā€™ll get that going now to heat up the remaining distillate I have. Any recommendations on an entry level homogenizer or route to sourcing a decent used one?

What sized batches?

Few hundred ml area at a time

I only have low priced recommendations for 10-50 ml batches. I checked ebay and there are no marked down cats there, so if you dont wanna pay full price, search ā€œcat ing 1000ā€ and buy from germany. A word of warning, they are nice over email, but crappy at logistics in reality

5 Likes

Thanks!

@qma do you have any analytics on mag stir vs homogenizer on small batches (~<300ml)? I donā€™t think thereā€™s much issue running small batches homogenizing with mag stir in personal experience

2 Likes

The point at where it doesnā€™t make a difference is <50 ml

What is the mixing time?

You didnā€™t answer the question lol

would you recommend cat for a homogenizer?

I used a mag stirrer exclusively for about 2 years before I started using a homogenizer in 2018. When I lost access to my homogenizer I went back to mag stirring until I could afford a new one. With the same exact hardware, we could lower returns from leaks dramatically, about 70-80%. I would personally fill returns that would ā€œleakā€ and would only experience leaks of failed batches.

At more than 50ml, you have to heat your concentrate to about 80c for about 3-4 minutes in a mag stirrer and about 1 minute on a janky amazon homogenizer. There are no effective homogenizers for less than 100ml. At more than 100 ml, you get a perfect blend in 15-25 seconds with a homogenizer (more time with more volume) and 7-15 minutes on a mag stirrer. You may still have hot spots on the mag stirrer at that point

1 Like

This is all anecdotalā€¦

Sure there are.

Ok, then Iā€™ll defer to the expert, @raghanded

Iā€™ve used the skilogex, the amazon homogenizer, a polytron, a veevor horn ultrasonic, an ultrasonic bath, countless mag stirrers and the CAT. The cat ing doesnā€™t have any effective <100ml homogenizers, and none of the other mixing methods I tried <100ml worked like a cat can at >100ml

which generator? thereā€™s a ton of different heads ā€¦

never said Iā€™m an expert, but youā€™re speaking with authority on this stuff and Iā€™m asking if you actually have any data

1 Like

Iā€™ll have to get that info from the manager of the lab I used it in, Iā€™ll get back with you in a couple days

Idk, that sounds pretty authoritative.

I meanā€¦ thereā€™s generators that are rated to 0.1ml

Have you used those generators on distillate and terpenes?

And you are right, there is an effective mixing option for less than 100g and it is neither a homogenizer or a mag stirrer, its a mixing centrifuge

1 Like