Intro to vape cartridge formulation and filling

The purpose of this post is to share information about formulating and making vape cartridges, directed at more entry-level explores. I like to share about formulating carts and edibles so that everyone has a chance to do it themselves. This is very straightforward tek, and even if you don’t have a lab you definitely have a kitchen. My belief is that there are some who want to hoard information and others who want to share. The little guy will be able to use this and have some fun and if he/she wants to start a business then great. If you have a bigger budget and want to learn more please just DM me. This how-to uses a hand-filling method.

Inputs & Supplies:

• THC or CBD Distillate
  • Terpenes
  • Ball Jar or stainless-steel ramekin
  • Heating Element (hot plate with temperature read-out is preferred, but if you can’t obtain one of those, then a hot pad or oven can still do the trick)
  • Syringes (preferably glass, anything around 1ml-5ml)
  • Syringe Tips 14-gague (since you will NOT be cutting your cart solution with unhealthy thinning agents, 14-gague is a good size for the viscosity of the oil [higher the number = smaller the hole])
  • Cartridges
  • Rubbing Alcohol
  • Gloves
  • Paper towels, or cotton pads

Step 1: What is your desired formula?
What is your desired potency and level of terpenes you would like to have?
Let’s say you have decided that you want to fill 100 cartridges in your batch. That means you will need 10g of total formula (oil+terpenes). If you are choosing 10% terpenes, then that will mean your mixture is 10g of terpenes and 90g of Oil.
This is a simple example, and there are easy ways to figure out more complex formulation math – if you have any specific questions feel free to leave them in the comments and I will answer them.
Keep in mind you will lose some volume that remains stuck to the jar.

Step 2: Liquify your oil
Heat up the oil in the oven or on your hotplate to around 150-170 degrees Fahrenheit. Low and slow is the name of the game, as high temperatures will evaporate the THC and darken your oil if it’s kept on too long. If you don’t have the time put it heat it at 170 until the oil is nice and runny. Think a little thicker than olive oil.

Step 3: Mix in the terpenes
Once the oil is heated and liquified, add in the terpenes. Measure out the exact weight of the terpenes needed, or use a small graduated syringe if going by my ml volume. (we would typically go by volume of terpenes rather than weight because different terpenes have different weights. Eg if we weighed out 100g of oil I would ad in 10ml of terps. I would love to hear from others about how they deal with this issue but this was the easiest fix for us)

Step 4: Homogenize the mixture
If you really want your mixture to be even, having a homogenizer is key. If you aren’t yet at that level of investment (~$1,200 on ebay used), then do your best to mix the solution using your hot plate. Most scientific hot plates come with a magnetic stirrer that can be placed into the solution. The magnetism of it with the plate causes it to spin around vigorously and continuously. Keep in mind your total volume needs to be large enough where there is enough oil for the magnetic stirrer to move around.

Step 5: Use syringe to fill carts
Using your syringe suck up the solution and dispense into your cartridges one-by-one.
Either use the syringe to measure out exactly 1ml of solution per cartridge, or test out one cart to see where the 1ml fill line is, and use that point as a reference when you fill all of the cartridges.

Step 6: Clean up and record
Clean up any excess oil from each cartridge with alcohol, as well as the workspace. Record your total cartridges you ended up getting from the total mixture, and note how much loss you had.
Take time to reflect on your process and write down notes of anything that you learned that you would do differently next time – mistakes you made, or ways that you realized you could operate more efficiently.
Allow cartridges to sit for 24 hours before using.

19 Likes

It seems like its popular to go by weight for distillate and then volume for terpenes. Is there a reason for not just using volume with both? wouldn’t it be more accurate? since carts are in ml aswell.

1 Like

Its better to do weight for both

8 Likes

Formulating by weight is the only way to be completely accurate and reproducible.

6 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to write this up. I have a question. With a 90% cbd distillate and 10% terps, it brings the cbd % to around 82%. What do you recommend to keep it from crystalizing in the cart?

1 Like

Obviously this doesnt needed to be repeated after all the bullshit but i will say it anyway dont use cuts if you dont know whats in them. Thats why i stic km to the cannabinoids. Find a high cbda and add that in with you mixture and that should sort the issue. Male sure to keep temps low when mixing so you dont decarb. You can find high cbda from co2 super critical extractions or through chromatography. I have also heard of adjust the ph to reduce crystalisation but im not fully up to speed on that.

Alternatively you could use some high minor cbd oil. Some that is 50-55% cbd and 15-20% minors is also a solution.

1 Like

Step 4: Homogenizer the Mixture… You are 100% correct, if you want a uniform blend of distillate and terpenes a homogenizer must be employed.

Here’s a method that may be of value: https://catscientific.com/mixing-distillate-and-terpenes-how-to-achieve-a-uniform-blend/

1 Like

If adding a dilutant what is an acceptable ratio percentage?

1 Like

What is a good homogenizer to use? looking to mix around 100ml-500ml at most per batch. usually around 10 percent terps, rest distillate. Also can a homogenizer be used to make infused edibles like gummys and such?

quick question on homogenizers can I use a high powered ultrasonic emulsifier to homogenize? We already own one for our water compatible tincture

Ultrasonic homogenizers require you to lower viscosity drastically. If it isnt liquid it will not mix

5 Likes

The best method for mixing your oil with terpenes is to go off the weight but use the density for calculations. You can look up the standard terpenes’ densities individually, or calculate the density of your terpene blend = weight (g)/volume(ml). After you’ve calculated a blend once, it should remain relatively the same from there on.

If you’re wanting a 10% terpene concentration in a 1,000 mg cart, and you’re using limonene (easy example) as your only terpene, you’d follow this calculation.
Limonene density = 0.84
1,000 mg x 10% = 100 mg x 0.84 = 84mg of limonene

How long are we wanting to homogenize if only using a magnetic stirrer heat plate? Everything I’ve read says not to introduce the stir bar until adding terps

Everything in YOUR post is wrong. Mag stirrers rarely fully mix. If you are forced to use one, you add terps once your bar is spinning full speed

2 Likes

Thanks. That’s where I was at so far. Just curious though if everything is wrong why hasn’t it been edited? I just kicked out 30 grams of liquid diamonds and 30 grams of disty, for carts using this somewhat as a complimentary guide to what I’ve learned personally.

Because the author is either ignorant or doesn’t care, but honestly after reading the post again, I didn’t see any of the points you derived from it. I don’t think telling you the right way to mix will be worth it as you skimmed through the right way already and arrived at a weird conclusion that was never in the post to begin with.

Tiny amounts are forgiving of mistakes

Oh, your that guy. Thanks for stopping by.

1 Like

Im that guy because I used to sell carts to mag stirrer mixers. Its not fun to take other peoples “cheaping out” losses

1 Like

I misread that I guess or you deleted a comment. Everything in my post is wrong? Because your comment insinuates that we’re both wrong. I’ve read that when not using a proper homogenizer, to heat it up slowly, not over 150, which is the lower side for this guide. Then add the stir bar once it comes to temp. Once the bar is moving full speed add the terps and allow it to mix for 10 minutes while reducing the heat to 130 f. I didn’t add anything to the liquid diamonds. I’m sorry to have asked a question in an introduction to vape filling forum that didn’t please you. I guess 60 grams as a test run if laughable to a guy lurking in introduction forums. Thanks again!

1 Like

And you clearly, not being ignorant, just don’t care to fix it then and point people in the right direction?